Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-30-2009, 14:34   #1
SFLglock

How well is my computer protected?

I have had a Dell Precision m90 for 2 years and want to make sure i can keep it running as long as possible. I have had antivirus 09 but beleave i got ride of it.

I currently use the following programs.

Mcafee anti virus (i know alot of people dont like it but it seems to be ok plus i have a subscription until 2010)

Spybot S&D

and Malwarebytes

i also have Ccleaner and i do disk defrags about twice a month.

Is there any other programs i need to download to keep my computer running good?

Thanks for the help
SFLglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 18:57   #2
Big Al 24

Maybe Firefox with the NoScript add-on. What are you using for a firewall?
Big Al 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 19:01   #3
PaulMichael

My wife uses AVG on her computer and it does a good job. It will always warn you with the slightest threat, even a low risk cookie installation. She had Norton, but insisted they really messed up her computer.

I use my computer less and less these days. I start by blocking all cookies on privacy and the highest level for download security. If a site requires cookies, I generally don't use it. You might be surprised how many sites you can access with these highest settings. I have all but stopped using yahoo email and find I don't even miss it. This web site requires it, but that is a small exception.
PaulMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 20:06   #4
SFLglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al 24 View Post
Maybe Firefox with the NoScript add-on. What are you using for a firewall?
Dont make fun of me but im not sure what firewall i have but when i go to mcafee security center it says my firewall is turned on, thats all i know

Last edited by SFLglock; 03-30-2009 at 20:10..
Old 03-30-2009, 20:13   #5
SFLglock

Should i download superantispyware?
Old 03-30-2009, 20:13   #6
Big Al 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLglock View Post
Dont make fun of me but im not sure what firewall i have but when i go to mcafee security center it says my firewall is turned on, thats all i know
I wouldn't make fun of you for that, I think that's why this section of the forums exist. Besides a software firewall (which is ok) do you have your PC plugged into a router, or is it straight from the modem to your PC. Routers will look like the devices here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category
Big Al 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 20:19   #7
SFLglock

i think i have a linskey wireless router
Old 03-31-2009, 01:47   #8
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
i think i have a linskey wireless router
Then depending on the model, that would likely suffice. It probably has a built in firewall in the router. I don't like software firewalls, and would never setup an always on connection, without a hardware firewall/router.

That said, there are some basic things you can do... Log into your router, and make sure you've changed the default password for it... otherwise, anyone within signal range could log in to your router.

Use at least WPA... If your router/laptop is only WEP compatible, I'd consider a new router and a USB wireless device, that is WPA ready. WEP is just to easy to crack.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 14:06   #9
SFLglock

is superantispyware safe to download?
Old 04-01-2009, 14:52   #10
BigSexy

Quote:
Is there any other programs i need to download to keep my computer running good?
Linux

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch’entrate

If the bible proves the existence of god, then D.C. Comics proves the existence of Superman.
BigSexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 15:15   #11
arcanetripwire
I'm 10-8

Quote:
is superantispyware safe to download?
Yes, http://www.superantispyware.com is a safe download and a good program, if you like it consider buying their full version.
arcanetripwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 22:17   #12
manish07

I prefer you for Norton because its a good security firewall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
manish07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:08   #13
JimmyN

Quote:
That probably means you are using Windows built in firewall, which is only half a firewall. Like the hardware firewall provided by a router it only blocks incoming requests, anything outgoing is allowed through. So if you are behind a router the Windows firewall is redundent as it doesn't do anything the router is not already doing. I don't see any purpose to the Windows firewall unless you are plugged directly into the modem with no router, in which case it will perform the port and incoming request blocking the router would have provided.

So Windows or a router will block port probes, etc, to your system from the outside just fine. But if you get malware on your system it can send out through the Windows firewall, and the router, and once it sends out it can then start receiving requests. An outgoing only firewall works fine until you get some malware running on your system, and at that point Windows firewall hands it the keys to the door.

A true software firewall will screen outgoing as well as incoming. Programs have to be allowed to send out. When I update Firefox, Thunderbird, or any other program that uses the net my firewall will question the replaced program and ask if it is OK to allow it to send out. Any malware that replaces an existing program, or installs their own, the firewall will pop up a message that something is trying to 'dial out' and I haven't approved it.

Not only does it block, but you will know immediately if you get malware on your system that tries to use the connection behind your back.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:37   #14
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

You can determing whether or not the Windows Firewall is active from, 'Control Panel'. It'll be listed under an icon that says, 'Firewall' or, 'Security Center'.

Go to, 'Security Center' first. If it says a firewall is active, then, either the Windows firewall is turned on, OR ELSE McAfee, or an ISP like Verison is providing you with one. (In which case, the Windows firewall should remain turned off.)

I use two other programs in addition to my antivirus utility: Max Secure's, 'Spyware Detector 2009', and Xionix's, 'Registry Defense'.

I've been running the same computer for almost 6 years. During this time I've been attacked by a computer virus, at least, twice; and with various forms of spyware, I'd say, more than a dozen times.

Nevertheless, because of the precautions I take I've always been able to clean things up; and my computer remains as fast (or faster) as the day I first set it up!

If you're wondering, I got rid of Norton's 'Internet Security' programs because they are such enormous resource hogs. (Wow! Try removing these dogs from your registry! It took me almost an entire day to finally get everything to be permitted and, then, removed.)

I'm now running BitDefender 2008 as an antivirus and internet security program. It took some getting used to; but, they have free telephone support; and, overall, BitDefender has been working very well.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 04-05-2009 at 08:43..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:43   #15
gh0st614

Send a message via AIM to gh0st614
I dont have any security on my computer. Any garbage besides AVG installed. Most of them dont seem to help me at all and its just more junk running in the task bar. Granted I dont mind reformatting every few months and it has been a habit since I got my first external hard drive like 5 years ago.
SAR1
.40S&W Member #420
gh0st614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:18   #16
solomansousana

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

lets you check to see if your firewall is working and all your ports are secured. Once you click on the proceed tab, click on 1st common ports, when that scan if complete click on all ports
Old 04-05-2009, 14:19   #17
Linux3

Quote:
Thanks for the help
http://securitytango.com/tango.php
Guy is a senior sytems admin at Rochester Institute of Technology and knows his stuff.
http://nickf.com/
He has a weekly column is a bunch of papers. Bit he will tell you, and often does. Think about Linux if you want security.

Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote