Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-31-2009, 23:35   #1
mschu

linux help.......

I have not ever used Linux (in any of its derivatives), but have considered playing with it. Specifically I have been looking at loading it onto my USB flash drive as a portable app. I have 2 questions:

1) What is the best portable version for someone starting out?

2) Where can I find tutorials on using Linux? it seems there are so many different versions, and are so customizable that there isn't much for learning material.

"He is strong who conquers others; he who conquers himself is mighty." - Lao-Tzu
mschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:28   #2
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschu View Post
I have not ever used Linux (in any of its derivatives), but have considered playing with it. Specifically I have been looking at loading it onto my USB flash drive as a portable app. I have 2 questions:

1) What is the best portable version for someone starting out?

I would look at knoppix or dsl linux variants

http://www.knoppix.net/
http://damnsmalllinux.org/

Quote:
2) Where can I find tutorials on using Linux? it seems there are so many different versions, and are so customizable that there isn't much for learning material.
Go to any of the linux website and their FAQ and online documentation is Grrrrrrrrrt.

Linux has came a long way now and the information present NOW is light years ahead of what it was in the mid 90s.

be advise that not all USB drives are bootable and does your computer bio allows for booting from USB?
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:12   #3
LinuxKnight
Edge Of Reality

There are many options for running Linux from a USB flash drive.
Just be sure you are aware, Linux is a complete OS, not a "portable app" that you can run from inside Windows. If you run Linux from a USB drive you would reboot the machine and Linux would take over.
As mentioned above you have to be sure your machine supports booting from USB.

Along with the above mentioned options, you could try:

Fedora Live USB creator:
https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/
This is available as a Windows or Linux application, which can download a Fedora Live CD Image, and then can create a bootable USB drive. Very handy.

This site is a whole bunch of information on running Linux from a USB flash drive (aka pendrive)
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/categor...nux-tutorials/
This particular page has info on creating USB pendrive Linux installs from within Windows.

As far as documentation there is a plethora of information.
The first place to look is the website for the particular distribution you are using, such as Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com) or Fedora (www.fedoraproject.org).

There are also many other sites, such as the general portals:
www.linux.com
and
www.linux.org

and another very good info site is The Linux Documentation Project,
www.tldp.org
this has a ton of HowTO articles, guides, and Linux "man" pages. The man pages are a documentation facility on all UNIX platforms, so you can lookup how to use programs and things, for example, to see how to use the command "ls", you can run "man ls" and it will pull up the documentation. (ls is like the DOS dir command, it lists files) The man pages are installed by default on pretty much any UNIX system, and tldp.org has them available online too.

All that being said, if your machine doesn't support booting from USB, you can still use a regular LiveCD to give Linux a try without installing it on your computer. All of the major distributions have a Live CD.
Knoppix and DSL as mentioned above are also major Live CD only distributions but can be installed on a flash drive.

"A republic, if you can keep it."
-Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by LinuxKnight; 04-01-2009 at 08:26..
LinuxKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:28   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Download any "live" CD, and use Unetbootin to put it on a thumb drive, and it will set it up pretty easy for you. I've used it to put various versions of Linux on thumb drives for various things...

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:36   #5
dotsun
conf t

Oh, don't forget about puppy linux. The live cd will even set you up a bootable usb stick automagically. http://www.puppylinux.org/
dotsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:21   #6
MavsX
The Dude Abides

i run ubuntu 8.04
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 21:43   #7
manish07

You can find it on google easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
manish07 is offline   Reply With Quote