Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-01-2009, 14:22   #1
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

One Wireless Router for PC and MAC?

Hi;

I was just asked a question from a mixed race couple (PC for him, MAC for her) that I cannot answer.

He has Verizon broadband and uses a Dell PC Windows based. She just bought an Apple laptop. When she stays at his place she wants to be able to log on to the web wirelessly.

Bottom line is; are there any wireless routers that will permit the use of a Windows based PC and an Apple simultaneously? Do they all permit this?

I don't have a clue because I know nothing about Apple computers. I believe they need different type routers.

Thanks for any info,

Sean
Old 04-01-2009, 15:24   #2
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
Hi;

I was just asked a question from a mixed race couple (PC for him, MAC for her) that I cannot answer.

He has Verizon broadband and uses a Dell PC Windows based. She just bought an Apple laptop. When she stays at his place she wants to be able to log on to the web wirelessly.

Bottom line is; are there any wireless routers that will permit the use of a Windows based PC and an Apple simultaneously? Do they all permit this?

I don't have a clue because I know nothing about Apple computers. I believe they need different type routers.

Thanks for any info,

Sean

the wirless router is not prejudice. It works with either PC or MAC.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 16:07   #3
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

thanks very much, I guess I should have known that..........
Old 04-01-2009, 17:14   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
thanks very much, I guess I should have known that..........
Yeah, just get a reasonably good router.. I doubt most of them have Mac software, so you'll probably have to configure the Mac to connect to the router manually, but it really shouldn't be a problem. I've got Linux and Windows, wired and wireless, on my WRT54G.. No problems

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 17:25   #5
SevenFifty

Send a message via MSN to SevenFifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Yeah, just get a reasonably good router.. I doubt most of them have Mac software, so you'll probably have to configure the Mac to connect to the router manually, but it really shouldn't be a problem. I've got Linux and Windows, wired and wireless, on my WRT54G.. No problems

IGF
+1 Thats what I use at my office...works perfectly!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
SevenFifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 17:53   #6
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Thanks again, everyone.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:12   #7
costanza187
I like Macs

I have a Linksys router... it willl run Mac, Windows, and Linux at the same time.

My parents have a Belkin it will do the same. No worries there, no reason why it shouldn't work.

Funny thing about the routers, when my parents got DSL, I ended up using a Mac to set it up. The only computer they have is a Windows XP, with a wireless card and network card. It was a bit frustrating and confusing to try to set up a wireless connection while wired to the network, having to unplug and then check and see if the wireless was working. So I just plugged in the Mac, and fidgeted with the Windows til the wireless started working. Now I can log into their network wireless with Windows, Mac, or Linux.

Last edited by costanza187; 04-03-2009 at 04:19..
costanza187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:07   #8
MavsX
The Dude Abides

mixed race couple ? LOL, that is funny dude.

Yeah like IGF said. the routers don't care where the signal is being sent from/to. As long as it is 802.11 b/g/n it will work!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:43   #9
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Thanks again all. Still boggles the mind what a great source of info on ANY topic this board has become for me.
Old 04-04-2009, 21:39   #10
manish07

I have a website related to wireless routers and i hope it may give you some help.
http://www.consumersearch.com/wireless-routers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
manish07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:58   #11
Stompy

The router wil not care what OS is running on the PC's. All it deals with is TCP/IP. Since both computers can access the Internet, they are using IP. (Internet Protocol) So the router will handle both platforms equally well.
U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)
Stompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:10   #12
JimmyN

Once it comes out of your network adapter and is sent over an ethernet cable or wireless it is in ASCII standard. That is so all systems are compatible and can talk to each other when networking.

It doesn't matter how the OS deals with that internally, all information passes over the networks using the same 256 ASCII characters. So you can plug Mac, Windows, UNIX, and Linux systems into the same router, or over the internet, and they will all be sending and receiving using the same values for each character.