SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-03-2009, 15:25   #1
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

How do you start a website?

I haven't done a search yet, but I will. If this has been covered extensively, please disregard.

I want to make a website with a list of businesses that have signs against concealed carry.

I also want to make a list of businesses that are for the smoking ban. The city I live in is having a vote on whether a smoking ban will be put in effect for all businesses in the city.

I want people to have a place to go to see which businesses choose to take a political stand and on which side of the issue that business has chosen to stand. I also want this list to stay up so people can see it even after the issue is no longer new news.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 20:49   #2
noway

You might want to check somebody like godaddy or other for affordable website hosting. Then jump in or hire a junior website creator to get you started.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:17   #3
ron59
Bustin Caps

1) You need a domain (name, such as mywebsite.com) that nobody is using
2) You need a hoster (their computers will "host" your web site
3) You need to create the pages

You can go to godaddy.com and they can do all of this for you.
1) They have a place where they can check to see if the domain you want is available
2) They do hosting
3) They have software which will allow you to create the pages. They might not look as "cool" as a site like this, but they'll be decent.

When it comes to paying, there will actually be two separate charges. You will get charged a monthly service fee (but probably pay it by the year) for the hosting, then you actually have to pay to "own" your domain name. That must get registered with the internet (somewhere), but godaddy can/will do it for you.

I use godaddy, and have been satisfied with them. There is also a competitor, that might be a little cheaper a buddy told me about, called host gator:
http://www.hostgator.com/

Also.... I know back in the day there used to be FREE web hosting sites. You'd go there, and setup your site. The only thing with that, is you don't get to have your own domain. Instead, it would be something like:
http://www.freewebsites.com/your-domain-name

If you don't mind that, then just google around for "free web hosting" or something like that.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:06   #4
prism
more ammo

godaddy and enom offer a little free hosting webspace with their domain names.

if all you're doing is publishing some text, the free hosting might be good enough.
prism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:25   #5
Cody Jarrett

Turn on the choke, open the throttle and pull the starter cord.

No seriously, for a small site, just to tinker, look into some of the hosting services that provide software for you to build your own site (GoDaddy.com). You can pick colors, styles, buttons, layout and just add content. Most are very inexpensive. If you're thinking of e-commerce or a storefrontsome of the bigger hosting companies can do a better job for you... look at web.com.
Cody Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 14:08   #6
manish07

I have start with good search and good content.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
manish07 is offline   Reply With Quote