Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:42   #1
lwt210

New laptop/Networking help needed

Thanks in advance. Someone that knows what they are doing (unlike me) wouldn't be having this problem.

Bought a new laptop and wireless router last night. I am trying to get it hooked up to my existing cable connection. I think my main problem is that the new computer is not "recognized" or "hooked up" to my existing ISP. The old laptop works fine and that is how I am typing this.

When they came out and hooked us up years ago, the tech guy typed in something into the computer when he hooked the cable internet box to the old laptop.

So in short, I have a solid connection coming into the house. What I want to do is get the new laptop up and running with a wired connection and then I can probably figure out the wireless with the included disc that came with it.

So how do I go about getting the ISP "codes" into the new system?

Again, thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:06   #2
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Cable doesn't require any codes and if the connection is there XP and Vista will see it without any help from the user.

You probably just need to reset everything.

Your setup should be cable to modem to router to computers ... hook everything up and then power off everything including the modem ... then plug the power to the modem back in what 2 minutes ... now power up the router and the computers.

ETA: I would connect your new laptop to the router via cable until all of the latest updates have downloaded or your initial wireless experience will not be very enjoyable.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"

Last edited by Sgt. Schultz; 04-07-2009 at 08:18..
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:22   #3
lwt210

Okay, I'll give that a shot. Will let you know what happens in a few minutes.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:55   #4
Ralff

You may have to wait for 30 minutes or so after resetting everything. All depends on the ISP.
Ralff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:57   #5
lwt210

Nope, didn't work.

I tried to wire the new laptop directly and couldn't get on. I tried to run it cable to modem to router to computers and neither would get on.

I had to back all the way out to cable to modem to old computer to get back on the web/glock talk.

I could however, tell that the new computer is picking up the wireless signal. I just don't have the internet hitting the router.

Thoughts? I feel a service call is in my future. My provider is Knology if that matters.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:02   #6
rwillis

Who is ur ISP? (sorry didnt see this Knology) What kind of Router did u buy? What kind of cable modem do u have?

The Knology website says they us ADSL internet. Is it a phone line or a cable line that hooks into ur cable modem?
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison, The Federalist Papers #46
NRA Member
G36 G17 XD 9 Kel-tec P11 & P3at

Last edited by rwillis; 04-07-2009 at 09:08..
rwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:12   #7
fgutie35

You forgot one important detail. You have to configure your modem to act as a bridge before you can attach a router. That is the reason why it works with your old setup, but not with the new one. You can do this by opening your browser and typing the IP adress of the modem eg. 192.168.X.X. then go to the (PPP lan properties) and select the last radio button (the one that says to set the modem as a bridge). If it is too complicated for you, you can always call the router's customer support and they will walk you thru.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:47   #8
lwt210

I called Knology and they have to "authenticate" the new hardware at their offices before I can use them.

He walked me through it and I have my router going with a hard line into the old laptop. I am connecting wirelessly with the new one as I type.

Will know in a few if I have a signal on the new one.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:50   #9
lwt210

And this is a post from the new laptop.

So I guess I have that part over with. Now to go back and to set up the router with the security features.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:54   #10
Ralff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgutie35 View Post
You forgot one important detail. You have to configure your modem to act as a bridge before you can attach a router. That is the reason why it works with your old setup, but not with the new one. You can do this by opening your browser and typing the IP adress of the modem eg. 192.168.X.X. then go to the (PPP lan properties) and select the last radio button (the one that says to set the modem as a bridge). If it is too complicated for you, you can always call the router's customer support and they will walk you thru.
I've never had to do this with any modem I've ever used, cable or DSL.

Many ISPs have it set to where you can only use one computer on the connection at one time. My former roommate and I had this problem while we were sharing an internet connection with a switch. Whoever got home from work first had the connection. After he was done, we would unhook his computer and wait about 20 minutes and the internet would work with mine. I believe they do this by hard coding the MAC (hardware) address. Eventually I broke down and bought a router and both could use the net at the same time. My suspicion is that your old computer is the one that is currently "allowed" and your router and/or other computer are not. That's why it is important to hook your configuration up the way you want it (preferrably behind a firewall or router) and reset everything and wait for a bit. Make sure the network cable running from your modem is connected into the internet or wan port of your router.

If all else fails you can call your provider, but I wouldn't mention that you are connecting a wireless router unless you are sure that they are cool with it. Some ISPs are pretty sensetive about the whole connection sharing thing and may want you to pay more for "home networking". Just say you want to hook a new computer up and it won't connect. If they send a service guy out you're probably going to have to tell the truth though.

Edit: beaten. Doh!
Ralff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:29   #11
lwt210

Wow. What a headache.

So I had a connection and then went back and tried to encrypt it using the included disc that was walking me through it.

I know have internet on the old computer (hard wired) and nothing on the new laptop.

I hate these things. Pressing on.

Called Linksys and couldn't understand the woman on the other end of the line. No telling what country she was in.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:36   #12
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
You forgot one important detail. You have to configure your modem to act as a bridge before you can attach a router.
Since when? I've hook up computers via cable and DSL exactly as I described in my previous post ... and I've never had to call the service provider.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Old 04-07-2009, 10:39   #13
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwt210 View Post
I called Knology and they have to "authenticate" the new hardware at their offices before I can use them.
Should not have had to call them, resetting the modem with the router connected to it should have done the trick.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:40   #14
lwt210

I tried a re-boot of my new laptop and now am wirelessly connected and I assume, am connected securely.

Not really sure what I did but the re-boot was the ticket because now I can connect.

The woman at Linksys wanted 9.99 to remotely troubleshoot the problem and I balked at it. Hopefully I won't have to call her back because I still have no idea what she was saying.

Once again, thanks for the help. Didn't mean to start an argument. For what it's worth, I had to call my ISP to get the new hardware authenticated. They did say in the future that one woudln't have to do that. That you would be able to "self-authenticate" .
Old 04-07-2009, 10:41   #15
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwt210 View Post
Wow. What a headache.

So I had a connection and then went back and tried to encrypt it using the included disc that was walking me through it.

I know have internet on the old computer (hard wired) and nothing on the new laptop.

I hate these things. Pressing on.

Called Linksys and couldn't understand the woman on the other end of the line. No telling what country she was in.
Don't enable the security on the router until after you are able to connect to the Internet on the laptop. Also don't forget about your software firewall, you may need to configure it to allow access.

Old 04-07-2009, 13:10   #16
solomansousana

Exactly. When I switched to my new Dell I hooked it all up and pulled the power cord on the wireless router, and reset my cable modem, once it had finished recycling, I re-connected the power cord to the router and my Dell was up and running.
Old 04-07-2009, 14:23   #17
fgutie35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
Since when? I've hook up computers via cable and DSL exactly as I described in my previous post ... and I've never had to call the service provider.
I just did that yesterday for a service call. The client had AT&T DSL modem. I personally have roadrunner at home and the modem connected to the router via the setup disk, but you still have to provide the ISP info when asked by the wizard. Some of you might have used the setup disk which usually depending on the ISP will allow the modem to associate with certain routers, that is why you might not have to do it when you initially setup your router.
Old 04-07-2009, 14:32   #18
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
I just did that yesterday for a service call. The client had AT&T DSL modem. I personally have roadrunner at home and the modem connected to the router via the setup disk, but you still have to provide the ISP info when asked by the wizard. Some of you might have used the setup disk which usually depending on the ISP will allow the modem to associate with certain routers, that is why you might not have to do it when you initially setup your router.
I do it all the time and the only info the ISP needs is the MAC address of the modem and they get that off of the bottom of the modem before they give it out to the customer.

As for the setup disk, I've never used one to setup cable or DSL ... it's not needed.