SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:14   #1
pascal

Acer eRecovery

Howdy,
I have an out of warranty Acer Aspire. It came with NTI CD DVD Maker 7 Gold and BackupNow4.7 OEM installed. Somehow I managed to bugger them up. Won't work at all. NTI nor Acer have replacement copies. I was advised to use the built in Acer eRecovery system. This will reinstall the original OS and programs. Does anyone have any experience with this process. Do I have to upgrade my XP back to it's current SP3 and possibly screw up worse? Please help!
pascal
pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:41   #2
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascal View Post
Howdy,
I have an out of warranty Acer Aspire. It came with NTI CD DVD Maker 7 Gold and BackupNow4.7 OEM installed. Somehow I managed to bugger them up. Won't work at all. NTI nor Acer have replacement copies. I was advised to use the built in Acer eRecovery system. This will reinstall the original OS and programs. Does anyone have any experience with this process. Do I have to upgrade my XP back to it's current SP3 and possibly screw up worse? Please help!
pascal
You either have system recovery CD/DVD's or a recovery partition. If you have the partition there is an option during the boot process to access it as well as short cut on your start menu. If you did not receive the CD/DVD's you also have the option to create ONE set and only one set. The recovery process will let you choose between full, repair or software recovery.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:48   #3
pascal

Hello Sgt. Schultz,
I created the one Recovery disc in 2006. Went to look at it and it looks blank. Do have an acer recovery partition I believe. Thanks.
pascal
Old 04-15-2009, 07:06   #4
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Hello Sgt. Schultz,
I created the one Recovery disc in 2006. Went to look at it and it looks blank. Do have an acer recovery partition I believe. Thanks.
pascal
Check the disc after you repair the system or on another system, it may not be blank.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Old 04-15-2009, 07:16   #5
pascal

Will do dude!
pascal
Old 04-15-2009, 12:41   #6
DaShark

Alt+F10 about 10 times continues as it turns on, right at Acer logo. Will allow you to reboot/reload to factory. Hope this help.
DaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 16:40   #7
pascal

Thanks DaShark,
Will try it. Not having too much success so far. Take care.
pascal
Old 04-15-2009, 16:47   #8
pascal

Hey DaShark,
That got me into the recovery system, thanx. Now when it says it will restore the system and overwrite all files on the C: Drive. What exactly does that mean?????????????????????
pascal
Old 04-15-2009, 18:59   #9
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Hey DaShark,
That got me into the recovery system, thanx. Now when it says it will restore the system and overwrite all files on the C: Drive. What exactly does that mean?????????????????????
pascal
Exactly what you think it means, it will restore your system to the same condition it was when you pull it out of the box ... it will overwrite EVERYTHING on your hard drive. Usually you have several options, restore system software to factory condition, reinstall applications and reinstall drivers.

Old 04-15-2009, 20:21   #10
pascal

Hello Sgt. Schultz,
That unfortunately is what I thought it meant. The ALT-F10 method only allows the complete overwrite method. I found the erecover program and it offers the options you mentioned but for some reason it will not load the application NTI CD DVD Maker 7 Gold (fails) and it doesn't have the BackupNow 4.7 option. I tried the erecovery disk on a seperate computer and it showed the programs on it. On this computer the computer shows blank. Any ideas????????????
thanks btw
pascal
Old 04-15-2009, 20:35   #11
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Hello Sgt. Schultz,
That unfortunately is what I thought it meant. The ALT-F10 method only allows the complete overwrite method. I found the erecover program and it offers the options you mentioned but for some reason it will not load the application NTI CD DVD Maker 7 Gold (fails) and it doesn't have the BackupNow 4.7 option. I tried the erecovery disk on a seperate computer and it showed the programs on it. On this computer the computer shows blank. Any ideas????????????
thanks btw
pascal
Are you sure that those programs came installed on your computer?

Old 04-15-2009, 20:50   #12
betyourlife
on a GLOCK

I know NTI came on my Acer Laptop when I bought it four years ago. A recent reimaging and it runs the same as the day I bought it!
betyourlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 21:05   #13
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Backup all of your data and do the factory restore.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:41   #14
pascal

Hello again,
Boo Hoo Hoo, I don't want to, drop down and give me twenty. Yes Sir! Now do it, Yes Sir!.
Question, my computer came with a largeish hard drive that was pre-partitioned into C: and D:. Will the overwrite affect the D: drive. Is there a way to access the .NBF files other than thru NTI software? Thanks you for your help even if I don't like the answers
pascal
Old 04-16-2009, 06:45   #15
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Hello again,
Boo Hoo Hoo, I don't want to, drop down and give me twenty. Yes Sir! Now do it, Yes Sir!.
Question, my computer came with a largeish hard drive that was pre-partitioned into C: and D:. Will the overwrite affect the D: drive. Is there a way to access the .NBF files other than thru NTI software? Thanks you for your help even if I don't like the answers
pascal
The second partition (d) should contain the recovery files that are used to restore your system and will remain intact. Usually the partition is only 5 - 15 GB's and contains hidden/locked files. One most systems with this recovery feature there is the option to reclaim that space but I'd suggest that you leave it alone ... recovery CD/DVD's can get damaged, lost etc ...

I'm not familiar with NTI software so I can't help with your second question.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:49   #16
pascal

Hello again,
My D: partition is the same size as my c: partition and being used. Thanks for your assistance.
pascal
Old 04-16-2009, 07:57   #17
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Hello again, My D: partition is the same size as my c: partition and being used.
Then this explains your problem ... but for some reason it will not load the application NTI CD DVD Maker 7 Gold (fails) and it doesn't have the BackupNow 4.7 option. ... it sounds like the recovery partition has been deleted along with the files needed to restore your system.

Quote:
I tried the recovery disk on a separate computer and it showed the programs on it. On this computer the computer shows blank. Any ideas
Sorry I missed this until now, the CD/DVD should be bootable and any problem you are having within the OS will not affect it, other than a bad drive.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:10   #18
pascal

Well rats! Any good freeware Backup Utilities and CD DVD Maker software you'd recommend?
pascal
Old 04-16-2009, 12:03   #19
DaShark

It should not affect your "D" drive when it reloads. We have 65 Acrer laptops and our staff store to "D". When we have done a restore "d' stays the same. You may want to remove the harddrive and slave it to another laptop or workstationa and copy the files you need. You can use a product by BYTECC that is a USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA adapter kit.
Wish you luck
DaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:43   #20
pascal

Hey DaShark,
I can use all the luck I can get. Summoning up the courage and patience. Will try over the weekend, give me extra time for throwing things and cussin'.
pascal