Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2009, 13:10   #1
Obi Wan

Memory problem of some sort... Need Help!

Running an HP Pavilion z4230 laptop with MS XP Home SP2, IE6.

Just installed two Kingston 512 meg PC4200 chips a few weeks ago and things have been running fairly well, except for two issues that have been popping up in the past week or so. This first problem also happened before putting the new memory in when it had only 512K.

1. (Not verbatim)... "Virtual Memory was low and Microsoft is making the necessary adjustments...", etc. That happened last Sun and Monday night a few days after putting the new memory in.

2. Just last night we got this: "Qx771b3670 reference memory at Ox73bd01d4. The memory could not be read at IExplore.exe."

In the past 24 hours I've run multiple CrapCleaner scans, including the Registry scan, a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware full scan, and a full AVG scan. Nothing nasty was found other than a tracking cookie and the "normal" stuff.

Just ran Belarc Advisor and both of the new chips are read/ID'd, for what it's worth.

Just after lunch today a little pop up box showed itself with this: "Stack Overflow at Line 198".

Does all this relate to a registry corruption, even though CCleaner isn't showing any particular issues with it?

Any idea what's going on here, and what should I do next?

As info, for the most part, only Outlook 2003 and IE6 have been run, with 'Facebook' being the primary web site being perused by my wife.

Thanks!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 14:15   #2
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

How much space do you have allocated for virtual memory?

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 14:22   #3
Obi Wan

I'll have to go look it up, but I reset it to just about the max allowed about 3 weeks ago when the first VM message popped up...

Correction - I find it's set for 1200 MB out of a max allowed of 1437 MB. It was not set for "System Set". I've changed that now to allow "System Set", but that still only gives it another 20% of VM.

Does Facebook hog that much memory? My wife uses the laptop and often has 3-4 Facebook pages open in IE, sometimes with Outlook 2003 open, sometimes not.

It's a 40 GB hard drive. Not all that big, but inasmuch as I often run twice as much on my 9 year old desktop with only 392 MB of RAM and a 60 GB HD, she should be in good shape I would think.

I did download the new AVG 8.5 about a week and a half ago or so. Might that be creating any issues if it didn't load right?

Had a bugger of time to get Belarc Advisor to load up last night. It kept hanging at 96% and freezing up. Ended up having to reboot 2 or 3 times before things cleared.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri

Last edited by Obi Wan; 04-22-2009 at 14:35..
Old 04-22-2009, 14:47   #4
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Check your startup folder and MSCONFIG and disable everything that you absolutely do not need loading every time your system starts. If you have the hard disk space available increase your virtual memory. I usually set the systems I configure to 2048 min - 4096 max ... no matter how much RAM is installed.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Old 04-22-2009, 14:51   #5
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
Does Facebook hog that much memory? My wife uses the laptop and often has 3-4 Facebook pages open in IE, sometimes with Outlook 2003 open, sometimes not.
You can check the amount of resources they are using by doing a Ctrl - Alt - Delete and look under the processes tab.

Quote:
I did download the new AVG 8.5 about a week and a half ago or so. Might that be creating any issues if it didn't load right?
Are you having any problems with it? Does it update and scan correctly?

Old 04-22-2009, 14:52   #6
CitizenOfDreams

Sounds like unstable RAM to me. Sometimes you just have to downclock your memory to make it reliable. Memtest 86+ (http://www.memtest.org) is a good free program to test it.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 15:02   #7
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

First thing I should have asked are you sure that the memory is compatible with the system? You said that the first problem also happened before putting in the new memory, did you replace the old chip or is it still in the system?

Old 04-22-2009, 15:02   #8
Obi Wan

A couple of things:

1. Check... I have turned off everything not really needed via MSCONFIG. That's been done for awhile and I normally check it occasionally on all three PC's to make sure nothing has snuck in.

2. Check... I believe there's only about 6+ GB of available HD space left right now, but should be enough to double the VM space if you say the "stated max" isn't an issue.

3. Am uninstalling AVG 8.5 and will reinstall AVG 8.0 since I've read comments this past week where some people were having some issues with the 8.5. Just a shot in the dark.

4. Just a few minutes ago my wife got this error pop-up:

Quote:
SL1.tmp - Fatal Error
CLR error.800700cl
The program will now terminate.
She was in the middle of pasting a picture into an Outlook email while MS Updater was trying to install an update of .Net Framework or whatever in the background. We shut off the update, etc.

My big question is 'what is creating this sudden memory problem?' I'd suspect the new Kingston RAM, but the VM issue started before they were installed.

Should I bother reinstalling the old chips to see what happens? Or is there some other diagnostic programs I should run?

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2009, 15:06   #9
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
You can check the amount of resources they are using by doing a Ctrl - Alt - Delete and look under the processes tab.

Are you having any problems with it? Does it update and scan correctly?
I have not noted any specific problems with AVG 8.5. It did run it's scheduled scan on Monday night (takes about 5 hours or so?) and found one tracking cookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Sounds like unstable RAM to me. Sometimes you just have to downclock your memory to make it reliable. Memtest 86+ (http://www.memtest.org) is a good free program to test it.
I have not run Memtest 86+ because everything seemed like it was running well after install.

Quote:
First thing I should have asked are you sure that the memory is compatible with the system? You said that the first problem also happened before putting in the new memory, did you replace the old chip or is it still in the system?
To verify which chips to buy, I called Kingston Tech/CS and specifically ordered the chip they told me to (the HP/Compaq specific one) from Newegg. I verified the SKU number before I installed it. Both chips are new and matched. I've got the old matching OEM chips in the drawer here.
Old 04-22-2009, 15:13   #10
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
I believe there's only about 6+ GB of available HD space left right now, but should be enough to double the VM space if you say the "stated max" isn't an issue.

A hard drive that is close to being full can cause Windows to act strangely, and it will slow down or interfere with virtual memory operations. 6 GB is not a lot of free space when you start opening/loading programs.

Old 04-22-2009, 15:15   #11
Obi Wan

Quote:
A hard drive that is close to being full can cause Windows to act strangely, and it will slow down or interfere with virtual memory operations. 6 GB is not a lot of free space when you start opening/loading programs.
Let me take a look at what I can strip from it. I'm sure since it's my wife that uses it 98% of the time I can delete my programs. Be back...
Old 04-22-2009, 16:09   #12
Obi Wan

Well, I just deleted over 2 GB of programs and rebooted, but it still only shows 5.5 GB of open HD space... started with 5.1...???

I'll finish cleaning it up and defrag it tonight and let you know where I'm at in the morning.

Please feel free to make any other suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks, Guys!
Old 04-22-2009, 16:34   #13
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

When you install updates from Windows Update, backup folders are created for the files that were replaced during the update. These are created so that you can easily uninstall a particular Hotfix, if it causes problems with your system. Here is a utility that will allow you to safely delete them

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

You can run reclaim some disk space by running Disk Cleanup and remove all but the last restore point. (More Options tab)

Download, install and run CCCleaner

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...ish_d4191.html

Old 04-22-2009, 17:22   #14
Obi Wan

I finished deleting all unnecessary programs and got up to 6.4 GB. Will run defrag tonight. There's 7+ GB of frag'd space so if nothing else it will clean it up a little.

Will work on the utility and Disc Cleanup. Didn't know about being able to delete the Restore points... that's good to know.

Got CCleaner... "CCis my friend"!

Can you believe I got into a major argument with the IT Mgr where I worked last because I wanted to use CC to clean up my laptop and he felt I was introducing a corrupt, illegal program into the system? He was a complete ****** and failed to realize it. The guy never did figure out why none of the other managers would talk to him unless required to.

Last edited by Obi Wan; 04-22-2009 at 17:30..
Old 04-22-2009, 17:38   #15
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

I forgot about this ...

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

... TreeSize Free, with this you will be able to see where all your disk space has gone.

Old 04-22-2009, 17:46   #16
Obi Wan

Quote:
I forgot about this ...

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

... TreeSize Free, with this you will be able to see where all your disk space has gone.
Some cool software on that link, especially this 'TreeSize Free'. That will be helpful on a couple of drives I've got. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:57   #17
JimmyN

Check System Information to see how much memory is listed.

It should match the memory you installed, if not something is not being recognized or you may have a bad memory stick.

It doesn't sound like a drive, registry, or anti-virus problem to me.
Old 04-23-2009, 15:37   #18
Obi Wan

System Info checked again and both sticks appear to be reading fine, i.e., 980+/- MB (two 512 MB sticks - base system requirements).

In checking various programs vs. system performance monitoring, things looked fairly good for the most part until "something" kicked in even though I closed things down. It was running about a base of 25-30% with "nothing" but the base system on. I disabled the Internet and 'Bingo', it dropped to 1-2%. That seems to indicate another tracking cookie or something, so ran another CCleaner scan and my wife is running AVG now.

I'm at the point where I think Sgt. Shultz is right in that the HD is/was filling up, the VM was a bit low, and my wife's activities on Facebook just taxed the system capabilities. Facebook is a processing/memory hog from what I can see, and then toss in these occasional tracking cookies and things go from sluggish to dead-in-the-water real quick.

Still need to run through the folder tree to delete stuff that isn't needed on that laptop since I've got a lot of the same stuff on my networked PC HDD's, etc.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:10   #19
epoxy252

Like previously sugested on here I would download a Memtest86 cd http://www.memtest86.com/ and run it for a few hours to see if your new memory is throwing errors. If it is you will need to RMA your memory to get some new ones, even thought it appears to be working it could still be faulty. There is always the possiblity of bad memory even new out of the box, most electronic devices have a 15% fail rate when new.

Last edited by epoxy252; 04-24-2009 at 08:16..
epoxy252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:35   #20
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxy252 View Post
Like previously sugested on here I would download a Memtest86 cd http://www.memtest86.com/ and run it for a few hours to see if your new memory is throwing errors. If it is you will need to RMA your memory to get some new ones, even thought it appears to be working it could still be faulty. There is always the possiblity of bad memory even new out of the box, most electronic devices have a 15% fail rate when new.
I actually ran Memtest86 this morning, although I only let it run through a couple of times after it kept passing. According to the instructions, if it passes 1x it should be OK, but I can see your point about letting it run for a few hours.

I did this at 5:45 am this morning when my wife woke me up to tell me she got a "Blue Screen" when she booted up this morning. For some crazy reason she's gotten addicted to waking up anytime after 4:30 am and having coffee while checking her mail and Facebook account. I felt like locking her outside this morning when she got me up...

Anyway, if you let it run "for hours", how do you know if it didn't pass every time? I don't recall from this morning if there is an "error counter" or something.

As for this morning, the blue screen I got said the following:

Quote:
NTFS.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Disable new software/hardware.
Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Use SAFE mode if necessary.

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xF06B0000, 0x00000000x 0xF749708A, 0x00000000)

*** NTFS.SYS - Address F74970000, Datestamp 45cc56a7

Beginning dump of physical memory
I proceeded to reboot, which was slow, and then undid what I did yesterday...

I reset the VM back to the recommended min of 1437 MB with a max of 2048 (2x RAM of 1024), and uninstalled AVG 7.5. I only installed AVG 7.5 because of the "coincidence?" of these problems beginning about the time I had installed AVG 8.5 a few weeks ago. I didn't think either were really at fault, but I'll reinstall 8.5 as soon as I know what's causing what and it settles down.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? I've got the old memory sticks available to reinstall, but I had VM problems when they were in so I'm not convinced the RAM is the problem... yet.

???