Old 04-25-2009, 18:46   #1
Big Al 24

Apple's First Trojan

http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Gets+...ticle14950.htm

Big Al 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 19:24   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Interesting..
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 19:33   #3
itstime

Only a matter of time and actually pisses me off. My next computer was def. going to be an Apple for that reason. Now.......???
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 19:38   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime View Post
Now.......???
Follow the Ubuntu Jaunty Jackelope threads..

You probably don't even need a new computer.

IGF
Old 04-26-2009, 07:46   #5
Linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al 24 View Post
This is so funny! I hope you don't believe this FUD.
This kind of crap has been shot down so many times.
Look, what might happen, any day now, could happen, coming soon has nothing to do with facts. Especially if the author sells virus software.

Look for facts:
Do you know any Windows users who have gotten their systems infected?
Do you know any Linux users who have yada, yada?
How about Mac owners?
And we should be talking the O.S. here, not some third party software or pirated app.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 14:17   #6
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Well, um... It's not the first trojan for the Apple/MAC computer, but simply the first for OS X...

Back in the early 90's, Apple was THE platform to be on if you wanted to catch a virus!!! DOS was just about v3.3, and moving with a purpose... but the Apple users were Software Whores who would buy a program, then share it with all of their friends... and along came Viruses.

So, it's not the FIRST Trojan on the MAC platform... but certainly the first for OS X.

Haven't seen a Linux box catch a virus yet, but aren't they the folks who gave us the RootKit??? the Invisible RootKit at that? So exactly how do you know if you have been compromised? Unless you are a Super Linux Guru... Us Mere-Mortals would probably never know... and that is the case on Windows systems too when you are talking RootKit...

The closer MAC gets to serious double digit market penetration, the more the virus writers will focus on them. Right now, a script kiddie isn't interested in waiting 1 to 2 weeks to bump into a MAC online... they would rather see results right now, which means you are targeting the Window OS.

It will be interesting to see how MAC addresses the vulnerabilities discovered when the "bright light" is focused on them... they are not invulnerable as many will profess....

Till then, Windows OS is the one to be reckoned with... MAC isn't even at 15% market share... so why write a virus for it???

No, I am not a MAC hater, I just picked up a MacBook 13" so that I can get up on the MAC platform for support at work.

Every OS has weaknesses... it's all about satisfying the instant gratification of the virus writer or script kiddie...

I would say that the Windows OS is THE most TESTED platform out there...

That's my story, and I am sticking to it...
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 15:11   #7
Big Al 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
This is so funny! I hope you don't believe this FUD.
This kind of crap has been shot down so many times.
Look, what might happen, any day now, could happen, coming soon has nothing to do with facts. Especially if the author sells virus software.

Look for facts:
Do you know any Windows users who have gotten their systems infected?
How about Mac owners?
And we should be talking the O.S. here, not some third party software or pirated app.
WHOA! Easy there big fella. I was just posting it because it was good for discussion. I'm willing to try and use many OSes. My only real beef with MAC is price.
Big Al 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 20:10   #8
stooxie
NRA Life Member

If I had a nickel for every idiot that thought the only reason Mac's don't get viruses is because of market share.

This "trojan horse" is the equivalent to inviting a vampire into your house (if you know the rules on vampires). There's a real easy way to avoid this terribly insidious trojan horse: DON'T DOWNLOAD SKETCHY PIRATED SOFTWARE FROM THE INTERNET.

This article is garbage, just like any journalist spouting on about assault weapons and AK-47s.

-Stooxie
Old 04-26-2009, 20:23   #9
ax157
Libertarian

If you install a virus, which you thought was something else, using your administrative privileges. Then you're screwed.

NO OPERATING SYSTEM CAN PREVENT THAT.
That should not be the question up for debate.

Quote:
Only a matter of time and actually pisses me off. My next computer was def. going to be an Apple for that reason. Now.......???
Now nothing, the OS can't stop the user from being stupid. And if you're a stupid user who goes and pirates software that turns out to be a virus, then that's all there is too it.

This isn't a new problem, we shouldn't be arguing how easy it is for an OS to be infected when the user INSTALLS IT MANUALLY. Of course any OS can be infected by malware if the user deliberately installs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooxie View Post
If I had a nickel for every idiot that thought the only reason Mac's don't get viruses is because of market share.

This "trojan horse" is the equivalent to inviting a vampire into your house (if you know the rules on vampires). There's a real easy way to avoid this terribly insidious trojan horse: DON'T DOWNLOAD SKETCHY PIRATED SOFTWARE FROM THE INTERNET.

This article is garbage, just like any journalist spouting on about assault weapons and AK-47s.

-Stooxie
Absolutely right. Very good comparison.

The article is complete over hyped rubbish.

The whole Mac vs PC thing is one of the most frustrating and infuriating debates in the computer world, because both sides have a large number of users who are more than happy to state their uneducated opinion as fact.

Just the "Mac vs PC" term itself, which Apple themselves are so happy to use in their obnoxious advertising. I mean come on, Mac's ARE PC's. If they weren't before they switched to x86 (which itself is debatable), they definitely are now.

Last edited by ax157; 04-26-2009 at 20:28..
ax157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:54   #10
MavsX
The Dude Abides

this is hilarious

Tech Talk
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:43   #11
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
Well, um... It's not the first trojan for the Apple/MAC computer, but simply the first for OS X...

Back in the early 90's, Apple was THE platform to be on if you wanted to catch a virus!!! DOS was just about v3.3, and moving with a purpose... but the Apple users were Software Whores who would buy a program, then share it with all of their friends... and along came Viruses.

So, it's not the FIRST Trojan on the MAC platform... but certainly the first for OS X.

Haven't seen a Linux box catch a virus yet, but aren't they the folks who gave us the RootKit??? the Invisible RootKit at that? So exactly how do you know if you have been compromised? Unless you are a Super Linux Guru... Us Mere-Mortals would probably never know... and that is the case on Windows systems too when you are talking RootKit...

The closer MAC gets to serious double digit market penetration, the more the virus writers will focus on them. Right now, a script kiddie isn't interested in waiting 1 to 2 weeks to bump into a MAC online... they would rather see results right now, which means you are targeting the Window OS.

It will be interesting to see how MAC addresses the vulnerabilities discovered when the "bright light" is focused on them... they are not invulnerable as many will profess....

Till then, Windows OS is the one to be reckoned with... MAC isn't even at 15% market share... so why write a virus for it???

No, I am not a MAC hater, I just picked up a MacBook 13" so that I can get up on the MAC platform for support at work.

Every OS has weaknesses... it's all about satisfying the instant gratification of the virus writer or script kiddie...

I would say that the Windows OS is THE most TESTED platform out there...

That's my story, and I am sticking to it...

correct and trojan are laid down by users adding, extracting or installing something that not what it really is.

Doesn't matter if it's a U/Linux, Windows, or MACOSX.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:33   #12
Boilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al 24 View Post
Make sure you read a LOT (more) about that. It's akin to saying "Here, would you please allow me to infect your computer by downloading this pirated software?"

And if you read the torrent comments, all of them say to not run it, since it's infected.

It's like sharing a needle. If you don't know by now that it's bad, then perhaps you're better off getting infected. So, if you run with the pirated software crowd, you should know the risks.

And this can't just happen to infect your Mac. You have to ALLOW IT TO. Just like all software. You have to give it permission to run on the Mac. It won't just run unless you say it can. That's the safety of Macs. They tell you to think before running/installing. If you can't do that, no one else will be able to help you in the long run.
Boilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:10   #13
stooxie
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post

So let me ask you a question. You know MacOS X is based on BSD, right? You want to talk about THE most tested OS? I think something like BSD which first showed up in the mid 70's and was based on code started in the late 60's (you know, when computer programmers needed a PHD and not just a pulse) is a liiiiitle bit more tested.

The one thing you and all the folks who talk about "marketshare" ignore is what facilities are present in the OS for viruses. No matter what you say, Unix based OS's simply don't have all the auto-code execution points.

I mean, viruses in your BOOT SECTOR? Viruses in your email? Viruses off the web? For crying out loud, where can't you get a virus in the Windows world?

All of those things take hold because Windows offers so many facilities for transparent code execution. Those facilities, like ActiveX and VBScript, were developed by Microsoft so they could provide automatic-everything like web pages that can scan your hard disk for updates or OS-like do-anything controls in an email. The implemented it first and locked it down years later.

You cannot honestly tell me that somehow MacOS X, being a Unix variant, somehow has all the same vulnerabilities and it's just waiting for some geeky 14 year old to exploit them all.

Finally, as others have said, trojan horses and even spyware do NOT count. You invite the vampire in, you're on your own. This crazy notion, though, of just going to a web page or reading your email and POW you've got a virus? I'm sorry but that is distinctly a Windows feature.

-Stooxie
Old 04-30-2009, 13:02   #14
ReyFufuRulesAll
Pantless Wonder

Send a message via ICQ to ReyFufuRulesAll Send a message via AIM to ReyFufuRulesAll Send a message via MSN to ReyFufuRulesAll Send a message via Yahoo to ReyFufuRulesAll

Quote:
now you won't have to spend $2,000 for a $500 computer. Use ubuntu linux.

Anything you can't do pantless, isn't worth doing.
ReyFufuRulesAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 13:06   #15
ReyFufuRulesAll
Pantless Wonder

Send a message via ICQ to ReyFufuRulesAll Send a message via AIM to ReyFufuRulesAll Send a message via MSN to ReyFufuRulesAll Send a message via Yahoo to ReyFufuRulesAll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
After 3 years of trying, I was able to find a rogue AV program for ubuntu.

Old 04-30-2009, 13:56   #16
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyFufuRulesAll View Post
After 3 years of trying, I was able to find a rogue AV program for ubuntu.
And what was it able to do?...

IGF
Old 04-30-2009, 15:16   #17
ReyFufuRulesAll
Pantless Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
And what was it able to do?...

IGF
not a whole hell of a lot, besides prevent a few programs from running.

Old 04-30-2009, 17:16   #18
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

On second thought, never mind... (grin)

Last edited by Pierre!; 04-30-2009 at 17:19..
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote