Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-27-2009, 16:06   #1
spazhand

carry laws?

hey all, going to charlston fromm tn for a few days....besides schools and gvt places, is there any off limit areas to cc?....such as restaurants that serve booze, the beach, ....thanks in advance
spazhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 18:50   #2
GT4494

See page 3.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

PS. I don't know about you but I haven't figured out how to conceal carry at the beach...
GT4494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 21:46   #3
NC Bullseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT4494 View Post
See page 3.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

PS. I don't know about you but I haven't figured out how to conceal carry at the beach...
Banana hammock and a belt clip.
NC Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:17   #4
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Go here and click on the State Gun Laws
http://www.sled.sc.gov/cwp.aspx?MenuID=CWP
Old 04-28-2009, 16:43   #5
spazhand

thanks for the info

hey guys, thanks for the info...that was exactly what i was looking for.....one quick question....i am a little confused about cc in places (mainly restaurants) that serve booze like applebees of fridays...is this ok in south carolina, because it is not yet legal in tn. i saw something about it in the state laws section, but couldnt tell if that was for permit holders or other scenerios. thanks again
Old 04-28-2009, 16:50   #6
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazhand View Post
hey guys, thanks for the info...that was exactly what i was looking for.....one quick question....i am a little confused about cc in places (mainly restaurants) that serve booze like applebees of fridays...is this ok in south carolina, because it is not yet legal in tn. i saw something about it in the state laws section, but couldnt tell if that was for permit holders or other scenerios. thanks again
NO CC in SC where alcohol is served for consumption.
Old 04-28-2009, 18:36   #7
GT4494

Do yourself a favor and leave it in the glovebox.
GT4494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 19:18   #8
Crazy KD

I used to live in Nashville off White Bridge Road and moved back home to Charleston. I don't know the laws for carrying on the beaches, but my guess is it is probably illegal since you have to have your dog on a leash and no open containers. Where is all the fun?

There really is no need to carry on any of the beaches around Charleston though. Even the worst beach in Charleston has extremely expensive homes on it so there is little/no crime actually on the beach. Now get a couple streets off and maybe just maybe.
Crazy KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 00:45   #9
spazhand

thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdw View Post
I used to live in Nashville off White Bridge Road and moved back home to Charleston. I don't know the laws for carrying on the beaches, but my guess is it is probably illegal since you have to have your dog on a leash and no open containers. Where is all the fun?

There really is no need to carry on any of the beaches around Charleston though. Even the worst beach in Charleston has extremely expensive homes on it so there is little/no crime actually on the beach. Now get a couple streets off and maybe just maybe.
good advice guys....thank you. thats what i was trying to find out.....and not to sound like an unnappreciative jerk, but regarding the beaches, ill just leave my gun in my glove box due to the fact its a safe place just like i do at church, on campus and at other places that have never been shot up or pillaged before......honestly...i really wont carry where i am not allowed, but it seems rather utopian to presume ones safety based on property value and statistics alone.....if i were a smart criminal....and thank god most of them are not....those would be the first places to come to attention as possible hits.....just my feeble thoughts......thanks again for the advice guys
Old 04-29-2009, 04:39   #10
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT4494 View Post
Do yourself a favor and leave it in the glovebox.
Sorry I disagree with that statement. Charleston is one of the top most dangerous cities in the nation now. We just had a student shot during an attempted robbery last night as an example.

Carry that weapon but do it legally please.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:29   #11
Carbonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockrunner View Post
Yes do not get this confused. You can carry into a liquor store or gas station that is just selling the alcohol as long as the store does not have a license for consumption on the premises.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:19   #12
BadAndy

Quote:
Really? Damn...I thought that was only for bars where alcohol is their primary sale and not for restaurants that sell more food than alcohol.
BadAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:23   #13
Carbonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAndy View Post
Really? Damn...I thought that was only for bars where alcohol is their primary sale and not for restaurants that sell more food than alcohol.
This is a point of contention between some CWP holders. I know people who say that they can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as they are not sitting at the bar and do not order an alcoholic drink at their table.

I dunno who is more correct.

By the way, did everyone see the new legislation about allowing people to carry their firearm on them while on school grounds as long as it is in their car. So like parents who are going to pick up their kids from school could have their guns on them. And then I could have my gun in my car when I go to college and leave it in my car during class. That way I don't have to leave my gun at home.

I hope this legislation passes. It seems to be having good momentum in the house and senate.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:53   #14
BadAndy

I hope it passes also! It has no effect on me, yet, but I'm sure there are tons more people don't spend their entire day on school grounds so leaving a gun at home just to drop off kids or go to class for a couple hours would be irritating.
Old 04-29-2009, 20:01   #15
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAndy View Post
I'm sorry but that is why they built jails! Please read and understand the law. Then break it if you feel you must.

It serves no purpose to misinform other people on our laws.

If you have a CWP issued in SC I know this was covered in the class.
Old 04-29-2009, 20:13   #16
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonfly View Post
This is a point of contention between some CWP holders. I know people who say that they can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as they are not sitting at the bar and do not order an alcoholic drink at their table.

I dunno who is more correct.

By the way, did everyone see the new legislation about allowing people to carry their firearm on them while on school grounds as long as it is in their car. So like parents who are going to pick up their kids from school could have their guns on them. And then I could have my gun in my car when I go to college and leave it in my car during class. That way I don't have to leave my gun at home.

I hope this legislation passes. It seems to be having good momentum in the house and senate.
4/29 The Senate sent S. 593 to the SC House where it received 1st reading and was referred to the House Judiciary committee.

But as I understand the bill, it only addresses the people that have CWP and not those that don't. I might need toa ask about that point.
C&P from the Bill.
Section 16-23-430. (1)(A) It shall be unlawful for any person, except state, county, or municipal law enforcement officers or personnel authorized by school officials, to carry on his person, while on any elementary or secondary school property, a knife, with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, firearms, or any other type of weapon, device, or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.

(B) This section does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:55   #17
BadAndy

Quote:
I'm sorry but that is why they built jails! Please read and understand the law. Then break it if you feel you must.

It serves no purpose to misinform other people on our laws.

If you have a CWP issued in SC I know this was covered in the class.
I made no attempt to or had any intention of misinforming anybody.

It may have been covered in my CWP class but I don't remember every single detail that was discussed.
Old 04-30-2009, 18:53   #18
Crazy KD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazhand View Post
good advice guys....thank you. thats what i was trying to find out.....and not to sound like an unnappreciative jerk, but regarding the beaches, ill just leave my gun in my glove box due to the fact its a safe place just like i do at church, on campus and at other places that have never been shot up or pillaged before......honestly...i really wont carry where i am not allowed, but it seems rather utopian to presume ones safety based on property value and statistics alone.....if i were a smart criminal....and thank god most of them are not....those would be the first places to come to attention as possible hits.....just my feeble thoughts......thanks again for the advice guys
I'm guessing you are joking about churchs and schools. I feel unsafe in those places as they generally have limited entry/exits and I try to stay aware of my situation. I don't carry in those situations nor do I avoid them as I have children and we go to church almost every week. The same with eating in downtown Charleston. I'd carry if it was legal because of the surroundings. Conversely, I have never had the desire to carry at the beach nor have I ever felt unsafe at any of the beaches in Charleston. It isn't utopian nor statistically driven.
Crazy KD is offline   Reply With Quote