Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-27-2009, 21:21   #1
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man

"Safe" / "Nice" area to buy land - move to?

Most of my wife's family lives in Cumberland county and we own 5 acres (which some in-laws are living on right now) there also. Bettween the family members they own about 25 contiguous acres. Theoretically I would love to own another 20+ contiguous acres to retire on but there is no such aniamal available.

I was looking at my options for putting money aside for retirement, and thought, hell I would rather buy land. I figure it is likely we will retire in TN, thus I started casually looking online this evening to see what is available.

I started my online hunt in the greater Monterey area, but quickly found myself looking a little to the west of there... It looks like one can buy land for pretty cheap (under $2K an acre) north of Cookville in the Gainsville - Whitleyville - Celia neck of the woods. I would love to own 50-100 acres or more!

Any suggestions, pointers, etc? Is the Gainsville - Whitleyville - Celia area "nice"? I know to stay the heck away from the west/south west end of the state. Anyone know the Monterey - Mayland area? (north or south of 40)

Thanks!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:21   #2
why

I apologise for all I am about to offend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Glock View Post
Most of my wife's family lives in Cumberland county and we own 5 acres (which some in-laws are living on right now) there also. Bettween the family members they own about 25 contiguous acres. Theoretically I would love to own another 20+ contiguous acres to retire on but there is no such aniamal available.

I was looking at my options for putting money aside for retirement, and thought, hell I would rather buy land. I figure it is likely we will retire in TN, thus I started casually looking online this evening to see what is available.

I started my online hunt in the greater Monterey area, but quickly found myself looking a little to the west of there... It looks like one can buy land for pretty cheap (under $2K an acre) north of Cookville in the Gainsville - Whitleyville - Celia neck of the woods. I would love to own 50-100 acres or more!

Any suggestions, pointers, etc? Is the Gainsville - Whitleyville - Celia area "nice"? I know to stay the heck away from the west/south west end of the state. Anyone know the Monterey - Mayland area? (north or south of 40)

Thanks!
Google up census data for any area you're considering. That tells you a lot.

Monterey is a nice area but if you go too far west of there, you start feeling Nashville's influence (i like nashville and visit there often in hockey season, i just wont live near a city).

Lebanon is to be avoided (demographics again).

Cumberland county and nearby are very nice and full of yankee retirees. Still pretty countrified, but prices reflect yankee economics.

Scott, Union, and Claibourne counties are pretty rural and low cost, but the areas are poor and the tax base is small, therefore less services. Campbell county, except for the lake properties is full of meth labs, as are the rural areas of Anderson counties.

Rhea county is where the Scopes Monkey Trial took place. Nuff said.

It used to be said that 'every family in Newport had a still in the hills' and I believe it. Now they say they all grow pot, and I believe that too. At least it isnt meth.

Avoid Knox, Sevier counties and anything associated with Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/ Smokies like the plague. Nice to visit or even vacation if you like that kind of thing, but NOT a place to live.

Grainger county is nice with probably the largest percentage of Hispanic folks in the state.

Hawkins/Sullivan/Washington counties are all a city for all practical purposes.

Carter and Unicoi counties are pretty wooded and you can still find some decent prices on mtn land if you look hard (ie, not using realtors).

If you are willing to go 1 county over the border into VA, Scott county is probably the best value/close to services etc that I know of. $1k/acre is doable on tens of acre tracts and the Kingsport metro is just across the Clinch mtns.

North Carolina borders on being a communist state by southern standards. The people are great, but they need to take back their state from the politicians.
why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 18:01   #3
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
Google up census data for any area you're considering. That tells you a lot.

Cumberland county and nearby are very nice and full of yankee retirees. Still pretty countrified, but prices reflect yankee economics.
Thanks!!! Great information! I will definitely do some demographics digging.

The yankee influence in Cumberland County, both in the way of land prices and influence of gross liberalism pretty discouraging. I can still get nice/good rural land in conservative California counties (Sierra range and far northern Counties) for the same price as Cumberland County land... but I would still be in California... but on the other hand I would be able to enjoy/use the land day-in-and out and the Cali land would likely appreciate more in the coming years until I retire....

much to ponder...

thanks!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Old 04-28-2009, 20:38   #4
why

I love the Sierras and their foothills. If it wasnt in CA, I'd be there already. Really. The Sierras are the only thing I'd even consider stepping foot in that state for (but i wont).

Any way you'd sneak over the border into OR with your purchase? Oregon may be Californicated by the time you get ready to move there, but that'd mean the prices had gone up too and you could sell at a nice gain.

I made the mistake of buy some land to play on that was too far from me many years ago. Sure, I'll make a bunch of money on it when I sell it, but that wasnt what I wanted to do with that cash.
why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 20:52   #5
dorfinator

Quote:
North Carolina borders on being a communist state by southern standards. The people are great, but they need to take back their state from the politicians.
Couldn't agree more on your NC analysis. I live in the mountains and the "half backs" are a real pain. I think they're the ones controlling the politicians in Raleigh too.
dorfinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 21:17   #6
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man

Quote:
I love the Sierras and their foothills. If it wasnt in CA, I'd be there already. Really. The Sierras are the only thing I'd even consider stepping foot in that state for (but i wont).
I am here in Cali already, have a good job I love, and I get to live in the Sierras, so here I am. If not for the politics/growing number of whackos I would not want to leave.

Quote:
Any way you'd sneak over the border into OR with your purchase? Oregon may be Californicated by the time you get ready to move there, but that'd mean the prices had gone up too and you could sell at a nice gain.
The idea behind Tennesee is my wife has family there. To make it practical/reasonable the property should be close/very close to her family... My preference would probably be Wyoming.

Quote:
I have never been to North Carolina, but my wife lived there for some years and loved it. From the pictures I have seen it looks beautiful.

A couple of years ago both my wife and I filled out some long survey which is supposed to figure out where the ideal place is where you would like to live. It chose Wyoming for me, and North Carolina for my wife.

Hell I'll probably just end up dumping the money into an IRA, but retirement property would be more fun....