SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-24-2014, 15:12   #1
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

My review of striker pistol trigger pulls: FNS, PPQ, XDM, Glock, M&P, S9A1

I've been on a plastic pistol kick for the last two years buying up a few. However with all the hubbub lately on striker fired pistols and which ones have the best trigger pulls, I figured I'll chime in as well.

I'll make the trigger pull comparison between the following pistols: FN FNS, Walther PPQ M1, Springfield XDM, SW M&P Pro CORE, Steyr S9A1, Glock 22. With the exception of the Glock Fotie (which I was not professional enough to handle), the pistols are all 9mm and all mine.

I also wanted to say that none of these pistols are bad shooters. They all shoot very well for me, though some are more enjoyable than others in various subjective ways. I know that I always poke fun at the mechanical accuracies of these water guns, but in actuality they all have superb mechanical accuries. Not good wheelgun accuracy, but damn good otherwise. All are capable of 1-holers at 7-yds in a good hand.

Maybe I'll add the HK VP9 next year when I buy one, and perhaps I can borrow a SIG P320 from somebody (the brother ain't buying any more American SIGs).

Anyway, here is my ranking of these guns' trigger pulls:

1. Steyr S9A1 - hands down the best trigger pull in term of lightness, crisp break, short reset.

2. Walther PPQ M1 - close to the Steyr but no cigar. Very close. Reset was just a hair longer, but light & clean pull. Kudos to Walther because the PPX I handled was blah.

3. Glock 22 - it felt just like my G17 and a bit better than my G20 Still Fat. The original staple gun trigger pull which is better than I give credit for. Short reset and crisp break but with that weird spoingggg feeling. Though it's not very far off the PPQ.

4. M&P Pro CORE - I understand that this gun has a better factory trigger than the standard M&P, but it's all I've got. Trigger is the lightest of all, but there's more of a take-up than the S9A1 and PPQ. The reset is still too vague though an improvement over the standard M&P. During Mozambique drills or rapid fire drills, I sometimes didn't let the trigger reset enough because of the lack of reset feel.

5. XDM - it's good but not outstanding in either lightness, crisp break or reset.

6. FNS9 - trigger pull is noticeably heavier than the rest, definitely not a favorite when it comes to bullseye slow fire shooting. Doesn't seem to affect rapid fire/combat type shooting any. Not a lot of slack, which is nice. Breaks clean but with the spoinggg feel like the Glock, and reset is also noticeably longer than the other pistols. The wide trigger face doesn't help either.

Anyway, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!!!

PS I did rent a Ruger SR9 a couple of times from two different shops/indoors ranges. As far as I'm concerned, it's not even close to being in the league with the above vis-a-vis trigger pull quality. I don't even know if I could say that it's better than the SIGMA.

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
Old 07-24-2014, 15:14   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

FNS9 and a gratuituous pic of a rental SR9 pistol.

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
Old 07-24-2014, 15:29   #3
s&wfan

This is a stupid question, but is that Steyr a current production model?
s&wfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 15:36   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by s&wfan View Post
This is a stupid question, but is that Steyr a current production model?
Yes, and cheap too. The S9A1 is like the subcompact model. I thought about a full size or compact but then I said the hell with it and went with the subcompact. Subcompact as in the smallest Steyr offering and not true subcompact, it's a wide pistol typical of the squirt guns and overall size isn't that small.
Old 07-24-2014, 15:57   #5
bac1023

Thanks for the review, fnfalman.

I think the Steyr M series are some of the best polymer pistols on the market. They're also an outstanding value for the dollar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 16:06   #6
fusegsp

I like my Steyr L9-A1 more every time I shoot it. I still like the PPQ M2 a little better, but the Steyr is closing the distance. I had a FNS and I wasn't impressed enough with it to keep it. It felt good and shot ok, but I shoot my other guns better due to better triggers.
fusegsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 16:11   #7
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusegsp View Post
I like my Steyr L9-A1 more every time I shoot it. I still like the PPQ M2 a little better, but the Steyr is closing the distance. I had a FNS and I wasn't impressed enough with it to keep it. It felt good and shot ok, but I shoot my other guns better due to better triggers.
I didn't want to get into the topic of which gun actually shoots better because of the ergonomics of the guns coupled with the shooter's hands play a very big role.

Trigger pulls are more objective. Either the slack is clean or gritty. Either the break is crisp or spongy. Either the reset is short & clean or mushy/gritty.