Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-03-2009, 17:34   #1
Virginia1911

Gun Safe Questions

Are there any good dealers or even makers of gun safes in northern VA that you guys would recommend?
Virginia1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 17:49   #2
Atomic Punk

what kind of security are you looking for? do you want something that will hold off the average meth head teen for more than three min or do you want something that would take a professional an hour or more to get into? there is a lot of middle ground too. also even the cheapest piece of junk (sentry) is better than nothing. most people get the cheapo 12 gauge sheet metal safes they find at costco and other places for $500 or so and think they have security. while it is locked most all of those will only give you a few min of protection. so the main thing is how much protection do you want, and how much can you afford? whats the relative value of what your putting in it? you dont need a $4,000 safe for only $1,300 woth of guns and such. but you also probably dont want a $200 safe for your $5,000 + collection. there's a lot of balance in selecting a safe.
Atomic Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 18:01   #3
Virginia1911

Good questions

Atomic Punk:

I'm looking to spend under 2K, and want something in the middle, if you will. If someone wants my stuff bad enough they will get it and my homeowners ins will kick in. I've got about 10K in guns to protect and another 3K in knives. More than anything I want everything locked up and away from my kids (only toddlers now and I have a small safe but I want something big enough to put all ammo and knives in as well).

I want an electronic entry pad with a key or comb back up and an internally lit safe. Something that will hold about 6 long guns and 8-10 pistols along with shelves for ammo, knives, and other valuables.
Virginia1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 18:19   #4
dmccorki

two safe dealers show up at the Chantilly gun show--Liberty Safe which is sold by Baldinos--they have a web site--and Fort Knox safes sold by Steveis Services--in phone book and very busy. Most lock smiths sell safes, new and used, so you might ask around.
dmccorki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 18:38   #5
Atomic Punk

if your looking at liberty their lincoln line ( 10 gauge construction ) are not to bad as far as sheet metal safes go. liberty does have a very good fire rating.
amsec's line of BF rifle safes really beat out liberty in security but they have not certified the fire rating. they have a very similar construction so some other safes they make that re rated, so they should do well enough. they just never actually tested them, just slapped a label on it.
i know of a different safe brand that i sold for a bit that has a much sturdier door frame and door than most any other rolled steel safe i just cant remember the name right now, grr.
Old 05-03-2009, 20:01   #6
Atomic Punk

Superior safe company. have been trying to remember to remember the company name for a few months
Old 05-04-2009, 08:45   #7
Scott30

Spend the little extra and get a good safe that is fire rated, etc. There are many excellent safes within your budget. Best suggestion I can give you is to get a safe bigger than your current requirement. Trust me, you will find things to fill the extra space.

Last edited by Scott30; 05-05-2009 at 09:25..
Scott30 is offline   Reply With Quote