Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-06-2009, 13:22   #1
Alphonso

Collectable, Or Garden Variety Shooter?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 1990 Glock 17 2nd generation (SN: MT2XXUS that just came back from Smyrna with an almost complete rebuild. I'm not a collector of Glocks and was wondering if this gun might have special worth or nostalgia factor to a Glock collector.

Here is what Glock did: Inspected, Replaced trigger assembly, recoil spring, firing pin assembly, locking block, EDP assembly, housing pin, trigger pin, front sight, rear sight, slide lock, slide lock spring, extractor, slide stop lever, slide cover plate. Basically, I have a brand new/old G17 on my hands.

I'm not going to shoot it until I find out if it might be coveted by someone. To me, a G17 is a G17 is a G17. This one was low round count to begin with. If this old pistol is going to give some collector a thrill, I'd like them to have it. I do a bit of collecting and understand, I'm just not a Glock collector.

They also sent me two new hi cap mags, and a really cool factory case dated 1987.

So, what do I have on my hands here? A shooter, or a collector?

Thanks in advance for the help...
Alphonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 15:29   #2
SCC
Member Me

Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
Garden Variety Shooter !!!!!!
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 23:01   #3
Alphonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCC View Post
Garden Variety Shooter !!!!!!
Thanks for the input. I really had no idea as I don't know much about Glocks and was thinking a "brand new" refurbished old one might be of interest to someone who likes 19 year old Glocks.

I'm glad to know it's only six exclamation points worth of garden variety. If it rated eight or ten exclamation points I probably wouldn't even want the thing...
Old 05-09-2009, 10:24   #4
GunOneDown

shoot it, but my question is, why did it need all those parts replaced? what happened to it?
NRA, GSSF, SMGA, MS Glockers #131,
RimFire #3829, Bull Dawg Club #131
MSGunowners.com
GunOneDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:52   #5
Alphonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunOneDown View Post
shoot it, but my question is, why did it need all those parts replaced? what happened to it?

Honestly, I think Glock just replaced all those parts out of the goodness of their heart. Despite its age, the gun had never been fired very much (the top of the barrel barely even shows cycling wear marks). I would guess that this pistol had fewer than 100 or 200 rounds in its whole life.

They told me that there was a slight chance of that serial number pistol firing if it was dropped with one in the chamber and landed directly muzzle down on a hard floor or concrete.

I shot it before I sent it to Glock and it worked perfectly. I have not yet shot it since has been refurbished. This afternoon I'm going to take it out back and put a few through it.

Also, as I mentioned, they also sent me two brand new high cap mags and a cool old vintage factory case marked 1987. I'm starting to like these guys...