Prior-Service Army becoming Air Force officer?
I'm an E5 in the Army National Guard currently deployed to Afghanistan. This is my second tour, and by the time I ETS in 2010, I'll have 6 years 4 months in, and be just a few months shy of my 30th birthday. I'll also be about 1 semester shy of graduation college with a bachelor's degree. By the time I finish college, I'll be 30, with a degree from a good school but with a low GPA.
I recently married the most amazing woman who is in Air Force ROTC and wants to be a pilot. I'd like to also commission as the officer in the active-duty Air Force.
Which job would I want?
1. I've been a trigger-puller my entire time in the military. It would kill me to sit behind a desk every day. I need to be active.
2. I need something challenging. I have high ASVAB scores, so I should be qualified. The job needs to be interesting.
Furthermore, I have several concerns:
1. Will my age be a problem?
2. Will it be harder to commission being prior-service army?
3. How hard is it to get into OTS? Will I need to pursue a Master's Degree so I can do ROTC instead?
4. Will my GPA be a big problem in commissioning or in choosing a branch?
I'll be talking to a recruiter in the next few days, but I wondered if the fine folks here could offer me any advice.