GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-01-2009, 00:04   #1
Biscuitsjam

Prior-Service Army becoming Air Force officer?

I'm an E5 in the Army National Guard currently deployed to Afghanistan. This is my second tour, and by the time I ETS in 2010, I'll have 6 years 4 months in, and be just a few months shy of my 30th birthday. I'll also be about 1 semester shy of graduation college with a bachelor's degree. By the time I finish college, I'll be 30, with a degree from a good school but with a low GPA.

I recently married the most amazing woman who is in Air Force ROTC and wants to be a pilot. I'd like to also commission as the officer in the active-duty Air Force.

Which job would I want?
1. I've been a trigger-puller my entire time in the military. It would kill me to sit behind a desk every day. I need to be active.
2. I need something challenging. I have high ASVAB scores, so I should be qualified. The job needs to be interesting.

Furthermore, I have several concerns:
1. Will my age be a problem?
2. Will it be harder to commission being prior-service army?
3. How hard is it to get into OTS? Will I need to pursue a Master's Degree so I can do ROTC instead?
4. Will my GPA be a big problem in commissioning or in choosing a branch?

I'll be talking to a recruiter in the next few days, but I wondered if the fine folks here could offer me any advice.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 19:39   #2
AF-Odin

Can't really offer a good opinion on the age issue. ROTC would take at least two years which could be problematic based on your current age. In the past, i saw a number of grad students doing the two year ROTC trip, but they were usually in their mid-20s.

As for being a trigger puller, might consider Air Force Security Forces. They do a lot more stuff than just be cops. There are a number of USAF SF guys (yea, I know all the jokes about AF SF, I remember when they were SPs-Security Police and even APs-Air Police) here who can give you some good info.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2009, 13:11   #3
bluelineman
Infidel كافر

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitsjam View Post
I've been a trigger-puller my entire time in the military. It would kill me to sit behind a desk every day. I need to be active.
Remember, the higher rank you have, the more desk time you get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Why is it that on June 4th 1967 I was a Jordanian and overnight I became a Palestinian?" - Walid Shoebat, former PLO Terrorist
كافر Infidel لقد كان محمد شاذ جنسيا
bluelineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 13:45   #4
mallcop
GOTOD #70

This doesn't answer your question, but is rather interesting fact about potential in the Air Guard. My current CO is a Brigadier General that started his career enlisted in the Air Guard and was commissioned after completing his degree. If that isn't impressive enough he also is a F-16 fighter jock. He isn't the only one that went big time after starting out enlisted. There is also a light Col in finance that is a gun freak like myself that also started his career enlisted. So, I guess almost anything is possible if you have the "stuff" they are looking for.
mallcop is offline   Reply With Quote