Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:19   #1
djegators

*** alert for fl ccw holders ****

Someone else posted this in Gun Control issues, I thought it should be here too:

Quote:
<TABLE id=Table9 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=696 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left><TABLE id=Table10 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=696 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=sealFade vAlign=top align=right><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=693 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right><TABLE cellSpacing=30 cellPadding=0 width=693 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=copy vAlign=top align=left><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=copy>
Legislators Raid CCW Trust Fund - Try to Intimidate Governor

DATE: May 11, 2009
TO: USF & NRA Member and Friends
USF Executive Director
NRA Past President

In a last minute sneak attack on gun owners, the Florida Legislature raided the concealed weapons and firearms licensing trust fund. This not only effects resident CCW license holders, but non-resident Florida license holders as well!

They took $6 million from the Division of Licensing Concealed Weapons and Firearm Trust Fund that is intended, by law, to be used solely for administering the concealed weapons and firearms licensing program. (Read background information below)

Please Call, Fax, or Email Governor Charlie Crist IMMEDIATELY, and ask him to veto the $6 Million trust fund sweep from the Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services Division of Licensing authorized under Section 59 of the Conference Report of SB-2600.

<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>
Please send your email today!!!!!<O:P></O:P>

And/or please contact the Governor's office by phone or fax ASAP.

Phone number: (850) 488-4441 or (850) 488-7146
Fax number: (850) 487-0801

Send your email to the Governor at this address: Charlie.Crist@MyFlorida.com

BACKGROUND:

Right now, the concealed weapons and firearms licensing program is backlogged and overloaded, due in part, to the refusal of budget officials and the Legislature to allow the Division of Licensing to use its own trust fund money to hire more employees and expand/upgrade equipment.

Crates of unopened mail containing license and license renewal applications sit in storage. The backlog of mail sitting unopened, at times, has extended beyond 90 days while existing licenses are expiring because renewal applications haven't been opened and processed.

Currently (although the Division of Licensing has been working weekend shifts to clear the backlog), it is taking 13-14 weeks to process a "perfect" application once it has been opened. That is an unequivocal violation of the law that requires issuance or denial of a license by a specific time –– a violation of law that legislative leaders are condoning by their actions.

THE LAW REQUIRES THE DIVISION OF LICENSING TO ISSUE A LICENSE WITHIN 90 DAYS OF RECEIPT OF THE APPLICATION -- or deny the license "for cause", based upon the criteria set forth in the law. Theft of operating funds by the Legislature is not "just cause" for failure to issue licenses or renewals within 90 days.

While applications sit gathering dust, legislative leaders took $6 million of approximately $8 million held in the trust fund. That $6 million is supposed to be used to pay employees, buy upgraded equipment, upgrade or replace computers or software and to otherwise administer the concealed weapons and firearms licensing program.

BUT, feigning a desperate need for funds for education and health care, legislative leaders recklessly and ruthlessly confiscated trust fund money. Why? Because they were building a so-called "working capital" fund for the 2010-12 legislative term, reported now to be in the neighborhood of $1.8 BILLION DOLLARS. This so-called "working capital fund" is for the use of future legislative leaders.

They didn't take that money for education. They didn't take that money for health care. They didn't take that money to save jobs. They didn't take that money to avoid pay cuts, or budget cuts -- they took the money to help build their own fund.

While Senate leadership reportedly fought to stop the ruthless raids on trust funds, in the end, they simply caved and let the House of Representatives prevail.

<O:P></O:P>

The bad behavior doesn't end there.

Obviously fearing the Governor would use his line-item veto to stop trust fund raids, proviso language was inserted in the bill in a clear attempt to intimidate the Governor.

The proviso language, states that if any portion of the moneys swept from this and other trust funds does not become law (meaning it is vetoed), that portion of the money shall be deducted from the EDUCATION BUDGET. This is clearly designed to keep the Governor from vetoing trust fund sweeps, and prevent trust fund money from being taken back out the House leadership's so-called "working capital" fund.

Money in the concealed weapons trust fund came from gun owners. No money to administer and run the concealed weapons and firearms licensing program has ever come from general revenue, or any other state fund or revenue source. The taking of these gun owner user fees is an unauthorized tax on the exercise of the Second Amendment.

AGAIN, Please call, fax and email Governor Crist IMMEDIATELY, and ask him to veto the $6 Million raid on the Concealed Weapons & Firearms Trust Fund!

Send your email to the Governor at this address: Charlie.Crist@MyFlorida.com

Please send your email today!!!!!

You may also call the Executive Office of the Governor at: (850) 488-7146.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=3>Florida Glockers Club</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=4854

SHOT 2013:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
djegators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:20   #2
Starbelly

Sent an email. If that's true, I am very upset. I already pay enough in state tax, especially because I own an S Corp registered in the state of Florida, to pay for other social services. The money I sent to the Dept of Agriculture should be used for no other purpose than the issuing of CWP's.
Starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:43   #3
JerryVO

E-mail sent to Gov Crist

JerryVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:49   #4
40 Cal Joe

Nice going DJEGATORS. Wife and sent the good governor our e-mail earleir today. If he wants our vote for the US Senate seat, he better do the lawful thing and veto this horse crap move by the democrat contolled legislature.
Florida Glocker #2227
40 Cal Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 14:02   #5
gforester
Motorhead

I just sent my email to governor Crist.
Florida Glocker #209
Free Body Piercings by Glock, Inquire Within!
gforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 18:24   #6
G31Steve
LiveFreeOrDie

Send a message via AIM to G31Steve
So if its a violation of the law to not issue my perment with in 90 days what can I do ? Call a lawyer ? It will be 90 day in two days and I was told 2 days ago that my aplication hasnt even been reviewed.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:26   #7
40 Cal Joe

Steve, what will probably happen is you will recieve a letter within the 90 day window stating your application has been recieved but not processed. Average time for the permits is over 120 days right now.

As far as hiring a lawyer, you could but it would be more cost to you and would not speed the process any. You will eventually get it and just be thankful it lasts for 7 years now. I feel your pain.
Florida Glocker #2227
Old 05-13-2009, 06:29   #8
djegators

Its true, one of the hardest things to do is force the govt to abide by its own rules.

SHOT 2013:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 05-13-2009, 16:08   #9
jaxvol

Email sent....Thanks for looking out.
jaxvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:23   #10
JerryVO

I feel special:

Thank you for contacting Governor Charlie Crist.

Due to the volume of emails sent to the Governor, there may be a delay in responding to your email. Please know that the Governor's office is making every effort to respond to your inquiry.

In the meantime, you may wish to view our online information database, which provides information on current issues and frequently asked questions. You may visit this source by clicking on Get Answers.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Thank you again for taking the time to contact Governor Crist.

JerryVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 17:42   #11
djegators

Got the same thing, even got it twice, but no real reply yet.

SHOT 2013:
Old 05-15-2009, 10:31   #12
Hackett

Send a message via AIM to Hackett
Email sent, just got the auto reply.

~ Hackett
Beretta Club Member #1, Tactical Shotgun Club #1884,
1911 Owners Group #1884 (pending), Sig Club #1884, Florida Glocker #1884, 21 Club #1884, GTDS Life Member
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:29   #13
ChrisVV
American

Quote:
Originally Posted by G31Steve View Post
So if its a violation of the law to not issue my perment with in 90 days what can I do ? Call a lawyer ? It will be 90 day in two days and I was told 2 days ago that my aplication hasnt even been reviewed.

just send the NRA 100 dollars, they will take care of everything.
Old 05-17-2009, 00:20   #14
twoblackbelts
NASA reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisVV View Post
just send the NRA 100 dollars, they will take care of everything.
How did this guy get past the bouncer?
twoblackbelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:03   #15
ChrisVV
American

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblackbelts View Post
How did this guy get past the bouncer?
what are you talking about? I suppose next you are going to call me a troll. I am simply making the statement because a lot of you think it is enough to just send your money to the NRA and then sit on your butt and not make phone calls to your reps.

That wouldnt be you would it? Because you actually take action right?
Old 05-18-2009, 13:59   #16
40 Cal Joe

Here is the lengthly letter I recieved from my state rep.

Thank you for your recent email regarding the issue of funding for the processing of concealed weapons permits. I appreciate your interest in this issue.

First, let me be clear that this funding transfer was not a “sneak attack” on gun owners as some have termed it. This proposal was first proposed by Governor Crist on February 20th of this year, nearly three months ago. Nor did it single out gun owners, as the Governor suggested transferring funds from numerous areas of the budget. In the final budget over $588 million was transferred.

Second, let me assure you that even with the transfer having taken place, the state has dedicated more dollars than ever before- over $18 million next year- towards processing concealed weapons permits. This sum is an increase of over 40% from next year’s start-up budget for processing concealed weapons permits. None of the transfer will impact the concealed weapons permit licensing program, and if the program for some reason needs more resources than the current $18 million appropriation, then requests for additional funding will be considered and appropriated if needed.

While I understand that the fact that certain dollars might be transferred within the state budget can be disheartening, please be aware that no one group was singled out for transfer. Facing a $6 billion dollar deficit, many funds were transferred in order to fund the core missions of state government- education, health care and public safety. I am committed to making sure that each dollar entrusted to the state- whether in a trust fund or the general fund- is used responsibly and that the taxpayers of Florida are protected.

The Working Capital Fund that you spoke of in your email is currently the General Revenue Fund, which also serves as the savings account used to pay the state’s obligations in the face of a budget shortfall. As I mentioned above, this year the state faced a deficit of $6 billion dollars. While we have been able to fill that shortfall, if the state should continue to realize revenues below estimates, the savings in our working capital will be vital to ensuring the ability to fund our children’s schools, keep hospitals open and to continue to ensure public safety.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

You would have to look hard to find someone more supportive of Floridians’ Second Amendment Rights than House Republicans. We have been stalwart supporters of gun owners’ rights and the rights of Floridians to defend themselves and their families. Our support for you and your rights remains strong.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts on this important issue. If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact my office.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
Sincerely,
<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=Picture_x0020_0 style="WIDTH: 138pt; HEIGHT: 82.5pt" alt="Troutman Signature.BMP" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:href="cid:image001.png@01C9D57F.633C0310" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\JOSEPH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png"></v:imagedata></v:shape>
Representative Baxter G. Troutman
District 66
Florida Glocker #2227
Old 05-27-2009, 17:47   #17
djegators

Hello fellow Florida GLOCKers! Good news, Crist did the right thing, and vetoed the trust fund raid. Please email him with gratitude. It is as important, maybe even more important for the politicians to hear from us when they do good as when they do bad. Nice!

Quote:
***ALERT Governor Charlie Crist VETOED CW Trust Fund Raid***
DATE: May 27, 2009
TO: USF & NRA Member and Friends
USF Executive Director
NRA Past President

This morning, Governor Charlie Crist used his veto pen to veto the $6 Million raid on the Concealed Weapons and Firearms Licensing Trust Fund sweep put in the budget by the legislature.

Governor Crist deserves our profound appreciation for his veto.

The legislature intended to take $6 million from the Division of Licensing Concealed Weapons and Firearm Trust Fund that is intended, by law, to be used solely for administering the concealed weapons and firearms licensing program.
That would have been a DEFACTO TAX ON GUN OWNERS

Please Call, Fax, or Email Governor Charlie Crist and thank him for the VETO OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT TAX created by the intended sweep of $6 Million from the Division of Licensing Trust Fund.

Phone number: (850) 488-4441 or (850) 488-7146
Fax number: (850) 487-0801

Send your email to the Governor at this address:

Charlie.Crist@MyFlorida.com

IN THE SUBJECT LINE PUT:

THANK YOU for your VETO of the CW Trust Fund Sweep

Please send your email today!!!!!

To read an article from the Orlando Sentinel, click here.

SHOT 2013:
Old 05-27-2009, 17:48   #18
djegators

There is no doubt in my mind that the NRA and its supporters played a role in convincing Crist to veto this.

SHOT 2013:
Old 05-27-2009, 20:38   #19
Mr. Blandings

I am pleased that Gov. Crist exercised Line Item Veto to stop the transfer of dollars from the CCW Trust Fund.

I will be more pleased if the Division of Licensing is allowed to hire enough staff to end the backlog of applications that currently exists.

I would be even more pleased if Florida would follow the legislative model of Vermont and Alaska to allow law abiding persons to lawfully carry concealed firearms and weapons without paying a "defacto tax" on the exercise of Constitutionally protected (not granted) rights.

It amazes me that Marion Hammer can, with a straight face, claim that the transfer of funds would have constituted a "defacto tax on gunowners" without mentioning that the money comes from the fees paid to the State of Florida to receive a license to carry concealed weapons/firearms. How is that not a "defacto tax"?!?

, Calibre Press, GLOCK,
, Andy Stanford,
Mr. Blandings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:37   #20
40 Cal Joe

Just heard Governor Christ did veto the measure we and the NRA asked him to do. Thanks for getting the word out and letting the Governor know our feelings. Now I will seriously consider voting for Christ for US Senate.
Florida Glocker #2227