Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-12-2009, 19:42   #1
BigSexy

Tech support hell

I got my folks a new laptop as the hinges went to hell on their old dell. I picked up a pretty low end one from best buy. The plan was to set it up for them over memorial day when I head to the farm. They came down for some bride thing for the woman before the wedding, and mommy wanted to take it home with her. I loaded up quicken, the dial up connection for the internet and a couple other card maker type programs that mother likes to futz with. I have their printer connected to a wireless "print server". It works fairly well, but it's a little bit of a pain to get connected. I explained to her that I would be able to install it when I get back there the end of the month...

So, naturally two days later she calls me up wanting me to walk her through it over the phone. There are few things I can imagine doing over the phone worse than trying to walk my mother through -anything- much less something she refuses to understand. It seems like people feel they can let their brains just squirt our their rear as they are talking to tech support...man.

I used to work phone tech support for a living, and there is no one I dread explaining things to more than my mother....and she's a teacher. Don't get me wrong, I love my mama...but damn!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch’entrate

If the bible proves the existence of god, then D.C. Comics proves the existence of Superman.
BigSexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 19:46   #2
CitizenOfDreams

No good deed goes unpunished.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 20:07   #3
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Yah, what CitizenOfDreams said...

I had my own computer store for YEARS in Lake Tahoe Nv, and my family visited 3 times in 13 years... and never did buy a computer from me!!! I could NOT believe it!

How does the song go??? "Some times I thank God, for unanswered prayers..."

Yah, ya loves yer Moms... I know, I am about to move back to Tucson just to spend a few years with her. Been away 26 years, couple years won't matter...

Enjoy em while you got em, when they leave it's harder to hear what you KNOW they would have said...
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 20:41   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

True Tech Support hell...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8_Kfjo3VjU
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:03   #5
costanza187
I like Macs

I made the mistake of selling off my old computer to my inlaw types (bro and sis inlaw).....I got a new one and they are like we wanna buy that, I was like naaa, I really don't want to sell it, but they finally badgered me into it.

But anyways, I kid you not...........7 years later, they started having a problem with it, and they started bugging the absolute hell out of me about it.
I honestly do not think the computer even existed at that point.

Funny ending on that one, I did actually diagnose the problem and they fixed it, something in the power switch.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:32   #6
MavsX
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
that video is hilarious. and is going to my favorites
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:16   #7
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

I hate phone tech support but occasionally I have to take calls ... I've got one client that will read every prompt to me, word for word whenever I help trouble shoot a problem for him. It can be a problem that I've seen hundreds of times, you know the kind that you can fix in your sleep but he still does it; he is afraid of screwing something up. He is so bad that I've lied and told him that I have a call in his area just to get off the phone with him. I will drive over to his office rather than spend an hour trouble shooting a five minute fix ... he is a good client (read pays very well).

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 14:20   #8
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX View Post
that video is hilarious. and is going to my favorites
I first saw that, probably 4-5mo ago. That is the only Video I've ever put on my Zune...

It really is funny. The wallpaper thing is absolutely hysterical.

IGF
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:08   #9
dotsun
conf t

Quote:
I first saw that, probably 4-5mo ago. That is the only Video I've ever put on my Zune...

IGF
Yup, that one is a keeper. Very well produced and a little too close to the truth.
dotsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 19:05   #10
MavsX
The Dude Abides

Quote:

IGF
"you can't arrange them by *****"
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:06   #11
KharToon

Logmein free edition or Crossloop. Both free remote access tools are a life saver. When the family calls I just join remotely and handle the issue.
Glock 19 Gen 4
Stag Arms Stag-15 Model 2TL 5.56mm Carbine
KharToon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:16   #12
NGWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSexy View Post
I used to work phone tech support for a living, and there is no one I dread explaining things to more than my mother....and she's a teacher. Don't get me wrong, I love my mama...but damn!
Not just you. It's family members in general :-)

I did tech support full-time for Microsoft about 15 years ago.

One day at work a buddy of mine comes up to my cube:

Him -You gotta help me out here man.
Me - Sure, man. What's up?
Him - I've had your wife on the phone for almost two hours with a printing problem. Everything we've tried and the damn thing refuses to print. Finally about 10 minutes ago she casually dropped your name and asked if I knew you. I told her that we were good friends!
Me - That's pretty wild, man. Considering how many miles this call had to go (main call center in Redmond and then doled out to one of four sites) and it ends-up with you!! Crazy!
Him - Yeah, I thought so too. So you won't mind if I transfer her, do you?
Me - Absolutely not. Do NOT transfer her to me.

He stood there looking like a fish out of water, disbelieving that not only was I not willing to troubleshoot my wife in the phone, but I was leaving it with him!! See, it's the whole family thing. I'll fix them in person, but I refuse to do it on the phone. Still.

Ah, we still joked about it afterwards :-)