Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-12-2009, 22:20   #1
NDC187

SAPI Plates

Hey, I was wondering what plates you guys got issued. There is the regular ceramic and then there is the esapi. I swear we were issued plates that felt like steel or some type of metal mix. They were thicker and heavier then the regular ceramics and almost look like the fabric is covering a rough metal cut?

But the esapi is a new ceramic mix. I was hoping someone could help me, cause im confused. Were those plates actually ceramic?

Last edited by NDC187; 05-12-2009 at 22:28..
NDC187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 22:38   #2
The Maggy

the old black SAPI plates where a type of ceramic. The Green ESAPI plates, I always thought they where the SAPI ceramic plus a metal plate. Wiki says the ESAPI is Boron Carbide, the 3rd hardest substance on earth behind Diamonds and Boron Nitride.

The Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 22:43   #3
NDC187

yours were green? Ours were black...hrmm.. this is really bugging me.

On the back of the plate did it have a rough texture like it was cut metal covered by fabric? I mean hell it was heavy and thick and felt like metal. interesting.

Yeah i found that wiki aswell.

edit

Last edited by NDC187; 05-12-2009 at 22:54..
Old 05-12-2009, 22:53   #4
The Maggy

black=SAPI Green=ESAPI, the label on the back of the plate, if it doesn't say enhanced anywhere on it then you have the old SAPI plates. If there is no label on the back of it then chances are you have the old SAPI plates. If you aren't in IRAQ or Afghanistan its not a huge deal, just let your squad leader or who ever know.

Old 05-12-2009, 23:01   #5
NDC187

LOL, no man. that's the thing. i did two tours. I was in 2005-2008. im out now. we were issued the esapi's but they were black.

your talking about the color of the fabric right or the label? Maybe they changed the color...I don't know.

edit: im trying to find pictures now. Or were they a dark green and i didnt know it, looked black to me. I just knew it when i wore the damn things.

Last edited by NDC187; 05-12-2009 at 23:09..
Old 05-12-2009, 23:10   #6
The Maggy

We got our DCU IBA's in early 05, they came with the black plates. The normal SAPI plates. We carried those into Iraq and where issued the green ESAPI's once we ripped our unit because the army didnt have enough to go around, we passed those off to the 82nd when they replaced us in 06. Once we came back we where issued ESAPI's again from our CIF and we kept them. I saw alot of ESAPI plates and I never saw black one.

Old 05-12-2009, 23:12   #7
NDC187

Your right, they do look kinda green.

http://www.kdhdefensesystems.com/ESAPI_Image.htm

We were one of the first unit's to rock the digital in 05

edit: i always thought the damn things were black LMAO!!

that's one thing i was able to sneak away with. the dcu iba.

Last edited by NDC187; 05-13-2009 at 00:02..
Old 05-15-2009, 19:14   #8
bennwj
Silver Membership
CSM

Send a message via MSN to bennwj Send a message via Yahoo to bennwj Send a message via Skype™ to bennwj
Here is an ESAPI that took a hunk of RPG and a 7.62 round

US Army Forum

--attributed to two people: Barack Obama and George Armstrong Custer.
bennwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 19:21   #9
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennwj View Post
Here is an ESAPI that took a hunk of RPG and a 7.62 round

US Army Forum
The handle with care portion of those plates always made me chuckle.
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 19:22   #10
bennwj
Silver Membership
CSM

Send a message via MSN to bennwj Send a message via Yahoo to bennwj Send a message via Skype™ to bennwj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
The handle with care portion of those plates always made me chuckle.
No kidding. "Do Not Drop"

Old 05-15-2009, 21:50   #11
NDC187

well the regular sapi's i wouldnt drop. thats a crazy pic. what happened to the guy wearing it?

i really wonder what the full damage of those could take. i know it has to be beyond 7.62
Old 05-16-2009, 09:04   #12
bennwj
Silver Membership
CSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDC187 View Post
well the regular sapi's i wouldnt drop. thats a crazy pic. what happened to the guy wearing it?

i really wonder what the full damage of those could take. i know it has to be beyond 7.62
He was riding in the left rear seat of an 1114. An RPG-9 hit the window a few inches from his face. He rolled out of the vehicle (he was on fire) and took a 7.62 to the upper chest area of his plate. He also took a round to his bicep so his right arm was worthless. He ditched his gear, grabbed a rifle from a wounded Soldier and charged the ambush site. Once the firing died down, he came back to the casualty collection point we had set up and helped treat the other 9 casualties. Firing picked up again and he grabbed a M-4 from a medic and charged the ambush site again. He killed more people than cancer that day.

I personally wrote his silver star recommendation.

They were able to sew his ear and lower lip back on, but his arm kept going numb. He will be medically retired on 4 JUL 09.

US Army Forum

US Army Forum

Old 05-16-2009, 09:09   #13
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
He was riding in the left rear seat of an 1114. An RPG-9 hit the window a few inches from his face. He rolled out of the vehicle (he was on fire) and took a 7.62 to the upper chest area of his plate. He also took a round to his bicep so his right arm was worthless. He ditched his gear, grabbed a rifle from a wounded Soldier and charged the ambush site. Once the firing died down, he came back to the casualty collection point we had set up and helped treat the other 9 casualties. Firing picked up again and he grabbed a M-4 from a medic and charged the ambush site again. He killed more people than cancer that day.

They were able to sew his ear and lower lip back on, but his arm kept going numb. He will be medically retired on 4 JUL 09.

US Army Forum

US Army Forum
This Soldier exemplifies courage. Be sure that this Soldier gets in touch with the folks at the Military Order of the Purple Heart so the VA does not give him 20% disability pats him on the head and forgets about him. If you need some contact info for the folks that can help him PM me.

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:56   #14
NDC187

Quote:

US Army Forum

US Army Forum
Thats what the hell im talking about! Excellent fing job!!
Old 05-16-2009, 12:48   #15
bennwj
Silver Membership
CSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
This Soldier exemplifies courage. Be sure that this Soldier gets in touch with the folks at the Military Order of the Purple Heart so the VA does not give him 20% disability pats him on the head and forgets about him. If you need some contact info for the folks that can help him PM me.

He is being medically retired at 100%. His right arm will just go numb at times and he can not move it well. Other times it is fairly good. He also had some nerve damage to his face, and the burns on his face and torso.

I think he gets 80% from the Army and 20% from the VA.

The incident happened two years ago this August, and he made SFC about 6 months ago, so that worked out pretty well for him.

He had a really god advocate at the Wounded Warrior program. Thank God they are able to take care of us much better now.

Old 05-16-2009, 13:52   #16
deadday

Quote:
He is being medically retired at 100%. His right arm will just go numb at times and he can not move it well. Other times it is fairly good. He also had some nerve damage to his face, and the burns on his face and torso.

I think he gets 80% from the Army and 20% from the VA.

The incident happened two years ago this August, and he made SFC about 6 months ago, so that worked out pretty well for him.

He had a really god advocate at the Wounded Warrior program. Thank God they are able to take care of us much better now.
I just LOVE that ****! I'm loads of fun to go shopping with...If I'm not paying attention I'll start grabbing things with my left hand....every now and again my left hand/arm witll either go numb, or my hand will lock open/closed....you can see where this is going

I had SAPI plates in both my DCU and BDU IBA....
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 16:06   #17
glowworm3980

Not sure if yall are aware, there were a recall on some of the plates that were issued. I don't have the numbers of which series where recalled, but apparently that didn't stop rounds as there were suppose to. FOR REAL????? I believe they were the black ones. Bad memory, we did this about 3-4 months ago.
glowworm3980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 16:18   #18
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowworm3980 View Post
Not sure if yall are aware, there were a recall on some of the plates that were issued. I don't have the numbers of which series where recalled, but apparently that didn't stop rounds as there were suppose to. FOR REAL????? I believe they were the black ones. Bad memory, we did this about 3-4 months ago.
It was a very small amount and they were identified and pulled/returned for replacement back in 2005.

Old 05-23-2009, 19:03   #19
glowworm3980

Not sure about the 2005. I know that our comand had us pull all our plates and verify SN's to see if they were on the list. CIF was issuing these to incoming soldiers.
glowworm3980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 19:09   #20
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowworm3980 View Post
Not sure about the 2005. I know that our comand had us pull all our plates and verify SN's to see if they were on the list. CIF was issuing these to incoming soldiers.
We had the memorandum right before our second tour to Iraq in 2005. There might have been another recall after 2007 but IDK b/c I am no longer in.