Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-26-2002, 06:43   #1
Scoob

Turkey loads

I have a ? about Turkey hunting. I've never hunted them( hunted deer a few times), may try sometime though. I am wondering why turkey's require such heavey hard-hitting loads? I may be wrong but it seems that uaually Turkey shells are made in 3.5 or 3 inch laods and pack a wollop. Are Turkeys alot tougher than they look? Is it the feathers? Do they act as a kind of bullet proof vest;f ?

Also, why not just use a 2 3/4 buck load and save your shoulder? I can understand if it is a sporting range thing, but if you used buck you could still call the Turkey's in to a suitable range before shooting.Would 00 buck not be enough to humanely hunt Turkeys?

Just something I've been wondering about. I could be off base here altogether. It just seems strange to me to hunt something so small with a load that kicks like an elephant gun( exagertion I know). Maybe I just haven't seen any of the less powerful loads.

Sorry, I realize that was more than one question.;f
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 12:44   #2
safetyslug
Hogs Beware

Send a message via AIM to safetyslug
Re: Turkey loads

Quote:
Originally posted by Scoob
I have a ? about Turkey hunting. I've never hunted them( hunted deer a few times), may try sometime though. I am wondering why turkey's require such heavey hard-hitting loads? I may be wrong but it seems that uaually Turkey shells are made in 3.5 or 3 inch laods and pack a wollop. Are Turkeys alot tougher than they look? Is it the feathers? Do they act as a kind of bullet proof vest;f ?

---->
I hunt wild turkeys up near Lake County, CA and I use 3 1/2 mag shells with 4 shot out of my Bennelli Nova pump. Unless you score a hit on the head, the turkey is going to jump and take off running. Wild turkeys are fast! As hard as it is to believe, the turkey feathers do act as sort of a multi layered shield. You can actually hear the pellets deflect off em.
---->

Also, why not just use a 2 3/4 buck load and save your shoulder? I can understand if it is a sporting range thing, but if you used buck you could still call the Turkey's in to a suitable range before shooting.Would 00 buck not be enough to humanely hunt Turkeys?

--->
Buck will not give you enough pellets to get the job done, unless your shotie throws off a perfect pattern and you are an EXCELLENT shot.Remember that Turkey hunting involves a lot of sitting and waiting just before dawn when the Turkeys come out of their roosts. If you get close enough to take em with 00Buck then I applaud your stealth abilities. Turkies are very skittish creatures and will bolt off if they see the slightest movement.They are NOT easy game. You may want to try hunting Pheasent or Chukkar 1st (since these are ALOT easier to hunt) if you are just starting off.
---->

Just something I've been wondering about. I could be off base here altogether. It just seems strange to me to hunt something so small with a load that kicks like an elephant gun( exagertion I know). Maybe I just haven't seen any of the less powerful loads.

--->
Keep in mind how fast a shotgun load of pellets will loose energy. With 2 3/4 inch shells at 50 yards you are already losing quite a bit.
At 75 yards the pellets will just bounce off =).

SHOTIE with Pelletes = Close range weapon
---->

Sorry, I realize that was more than one question.;f
Old 09-26-2002, 16:50   #3
tjpet

Turkey hunting has turned into a growth industry and the amount of BS thrown around on what is needed to kill one boggles the mind. Over the years I've found that 1.25 - 1.50 ozs. of #5's @ approx. 1200 fps through a good full choke will kill any turkey within a 40 yard radius. If rifles are allowed in the state you're hunting then a .22 mag, Hornet, or reduced load .223 will fit the bill nicely, also.
tjpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 20:09   #4
mpol777
Feral Member

i've killed quite a few with 1.25oz 2.75" shells with #4's. calling is the important part though. if you can call well you could kill 'em with just about anything.
Old 09-27-2002, 06:32   #5
Scoob

Thanks for the replies. I have a little better understanding now. I would definately like to try hunting them sometime, I watch it alot on ESPN2 and Outdoor channel.
I shot a friends gun loaded with a 3 1/2" shell once and although I can take the recoil I'd much rather not if it's not mandatory. I am only 135lbs., so it just seems like it would ruin my concentration and opertunity for a good follow up. From what I've read Maybe I could do fine with a 3" load of good ol #4. Now I just need to get a suitable gun and find somone experienced.
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 13:07   #6
Michigun
Miss Michigan?

Send a message via AIM to Michigun Send a message via Yahoo to Michigun

I used Remington's 12 gauge 3" Hevi-Shot #4's this past year.

I like'em!
Old 09-27-2002, 16:31   #7
TScottW99
NRA Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TScottW99
LOL at the BS remark. Turkey hunting has came a long ways my friend. With todays tubes, shells and guns hunters are able to give tight consisent patterns to humanely kill turkeys. Sure anything will work but why not give the turkey some credit? I use a Mossberg 500 with an extended .665 XXFull turkey choke and use Federal 3" Premium #5's. This is no where near top of the line but it will shoot very tight patterns out to where I want them. A turkeys head/neck is only nine inches long and that's your target. It's what, 2 1//2" wide? A turkey is always moving his head around looking for danger causing even a harder target. Shooting at the body is pretty useless since the ol' gobbler is covered in feathers and under those feathers is a good bit of breast so the head/neck is the ideal target. The 3" loads give me everything I want/need even though I used to use 3 1/2". To Scoob, the best beat is to get on a range with your intended gun and several loads and shoot you some turkey targets to see what combo is best for your gun. Not all loads are shoulder pounding... The Federals are a little easier to the shoulder in my opion then the Winchester Supremes. You might want to check out a couple of dedicated turkey hunting forums where there are numerous experts who can help you in any way. Good luck to you man.
Scott

National Wild Turkey Federation

Va Turkey

The Wild Turkey Zone

- Dale Carnegie
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 17:33   #8
tjpet

If a guy feels better using a 3.5" shell to kill a turkey, more power to him. I find it amusing, though, to read that it's almost mandatory to do so in order to kill them humanely. I guess my friends and I have been killing them inhumanely for the last 30 years with our non-20mm loads.
Old 09-27-2002, 19:07   #9
TScottW99
NRA Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TScottW99
i'm not trying to start a war, and didn't say you were killing them inhumanely. just that the BS remark is off. just because someone wants to use the best materials available or materials made to do the job doesn't mean it's bs. i know that a 2 3/4 load of #5's from a fixed full choke shotgun can kill a turkey, i've done it. but the new turkey loads and chokes do improve the guns performance and gives you more range to cleanly kill turkeys. i still take my fixed choke shotgun out every now and then, but i have to limit my shots because i'm not getting the pattern I want for past 25 yards. On the other hand my "special turkey shotgun" can deliver a fatal pattern out to 40. (though i still prefer up close and personel i have more room for yardage error)

- Dale Carnegie
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 12:53   #10
safetyslug
Hogs Beware

Send a message via AIM to safetyslug
Quote:
Originally posted by TScottW99
i'm not trying to start a war, and didn't say you were killing them inhumanely. just that the BS remark is off. just because someone wants to use the best materials available or materials made to do the job doesn't mean it's bs. i know that a 2 3/4 load of #5's from a fixed full choke shotgun can kill a turkey, i've done it. but the new turkey loads and chokes do improve the guns performance and gives you more range to cleanly kill turkeys. i still take my fixed choke shotgun out every now and then, but i have to limit my shots because i'm not getting the pattern I want for past 25 yards. On the other hand my "special turkey shotgun" can deliver a fatal pattern out to 40. (though i still prefer up close and personel i have more room for yardage error)
Solidarity brother.
Old 09-29-2002, 17:33   #11
tjpet

Quote:

To each their own.
Old 10-02-2002, 14:38   #12
duncan
Lifetime Membership

The key with turkey hunting is to Find them.

Call them in.

And hold off on your shots under within 25 yards with no branches in the way.

The reason people tend to ask for more power is that lots of us hunt in woody areas and what appear to be thin branches and twigs from 30 yards away turn out to be 2" thick braches that seriously deflect the shot.

Call them close in is what I aim for.

Then whatever load you have should finish them off!
Old 10-02-2002, 14:40   #13
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
To Scoob, the best beat is to get on a range with your intended gun and several loads and shoot you some turkey targets to see what combo is best for your gun. Not all loads are shoulder pounding... The Federals are a little easier to the shoulder in my opion then the Winchester Supremes.
concur with trying several loads - they do differ.

And the Federals in 2 and 3/4 work well in my Rem 870 12 gauge.