Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-22-2009, 18:21   #1
ULVER
Dixie Rebel

Send a message via Yahoo to ULVER

*Pics*>My Glock 17 Turns 23 Next Month!

My Glock was used for some law enforcement evaluation. Most of the guys didn't know what to make of it. They were leary at best. The 1911 crowd wanted nothing to do, with the caliber or construction. Pretty much the same with the magnum boys. Couldn't blame them much. The Smith L-frame was sweet, and the Remington 125gr. scalloped JHP's was king of the hill.

I recall one Capt.; a grizzled Screaming Eagle, took one look, handed it back, and said... "it has no future." I wanted to cry!

Capt. Billig I might add, still considers the polymer framed pistol a passing fad. It and the personal computer.

I was allowed to purchase it for $254, plus tax.

Within a year or two, I went back and purchased three more of the first gens. Stupidly traded two, but still have one other NIB.

At Glock's original building, I recall a couple things back then. They shot Hirtenberger 9mm by the pallet, and hi-cap magazines were handed out like peppermint candies, at a diner cash register. Oh, and the techs HATED the new-fangled 147gr. subsonic ammunition. They said that Glocks liked hot ammo, and these subs, were about the only thing that could make a Glock choke.

What's wrong with this picture>? Yep! The original case allowed for the gun to be put into it "hot!" Story goes, that a well-to-do attorney, ventilated his fridge fumbling with his Glock 17 at the breakfast table. The case was quickly changed! For many years after, every year, when I showed up for my annual inspection, Glock staff begged & pleaded for me to allow them to take the "dangerous" original case off my hands. NO WAY!

I haven't seen another case, with the area for individual cartridge storage, even among other 1st gen 17's. Anyone>???

Glock Collector's Club

The barrel is original.

Glock Collector's Club

The gun has never been refinished, and shows some age.

Glock Collector's Club
Glock Collector's Club

Glock has made many upgrades to the gun, over the years. Never been charged for anything, including new springs for ALL the magazines I bring. They always like to give ya free Glock stuff too, like stickers, and pins, and pens and such! Nice folks...

I have gone through a lot of sights. Most night sights have not thrilled me, and I have tried a lot. I have some hi-viz on their now, and I can't even recall the brand, but that's OK. They have sucked, and I am going to put Advantage Tactical on her. My Glock 26 has XS Big Dots, and for a BUG, up-close, I think they rock! Advantage Tactical are big, bright, and good for middle-aged eyes.

My biggest complaint is the grip, or ah...lack there-of. The later attempts at improvement have been OK, but I think it's one area, where other guns like the M&P and the XD have it on the Glock. I tried several slip-on sleeves, but didn't care for them constantly shifting. Then, I applied "Decal Grip" strips to the gun, and it made all the difference in the world! Good product, especially for these Glocks.

As long as the folks at Glock find the piece 100% sound & reliable, I see no reason to retire her. She is still my main carry weapon.

Watch your sixes, and Glock-on!

We have come a long way, from the Colt Detective Special. I think Joe would approve!

Glock Collector's Club
In memory of Off. Steven Trindle
In memory of Det. Dennis C. Stepnowski
ULVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 00:50   #2
kiltro

nice!!
I like the clean shaved look of the 1st gen.
glock on!
kiltro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:41   #3
Univac

My Glock is older than your Glock!!!

Just kidding but my G17 turns 23 in June. I purchased it in October, 1986 and I have the "dangerous" Tupperware original case. It was gone through in 1990 by Glock with the updates that were current then. The serial # is AT-0xx (less than 20). This gun is complete with original paperwork and all accessories and 2-17 round mags and was the first one sold by the store where I purchased it in Arizona. I ordered one as soon as I saw it in various magazines and I have some of the magazine articles of the period testing it. Not fired much. (July 29, 2009) I have sold my Glock. Thanks to FnFan for a first-class transaction.

Last edited by Univac; 07-29-2009 at 14:21.. Reason: sold gun
Univac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:13   #4
skyugo

still holding up good eh?
the plastic hasn't disintegrated from age and sunlight yet?

that old case is pretty wild... does that one peg go right through the trigger guard?
skyugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 14:32   #5
Univac

Cases hold up well. The hole (apparently for a cable lock) does go through the trigger guard which means the trigger can't be in the ready position. After returning my 1986 Glock 17 to them in Georgia (w/case) and having it upgraded, Glock sent me some yellow warning stickers for the "dangerous" case and a letter making it clear the case is for storing and transporting an "unloaded weapon only." The gun must have the trigger pulled to store in the case and it's usually best to do this without a round in the chamber!
Old 05-25-2009, 17:51   #6
Glock-N-Load

I'll trade you a new 3rd gen 17 for it?!?!?!
Glock-N-Load is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 17:57   #7
Alcoy

Congrats. And don't even consider "divorcing" her.
Alcoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:47   #8
ULVER
Dixie Rebel

Send a message via Yahoo to ULVER

LOL! No, I could never divorce her, nor trade her away...

She's one of my most cherished possessions.

Now my biggest prob, is deciding on a pocket pistol, to back her and the Glock 26 up.

I looked at the Smith 340, but mini-magnums are whack-o. The Big Dot sights are most excellent on the gun, but they and a few oz.'s of lost weight over the 442 are not worth the extra $$$.

To be honest, I really, really like the 12oz. Charter Arms "Off Duty." Very sweet. Charter's new owners seem to have the company, up to the standards of the original models, plus they are bringing out a lot of new ones.

The other two choices are the Kel Tec Pf9, or the Kahr PM9. I could buy TWO Pf9's and some goodies with what one Kahr costs.

Some Pf9's seem to work fine after some break-in, while other people swear off them.

Any thoughts appreciated...
In memory of Off. Steven Trindle
In memory of Det. Dennis C. Stepnowski
ULVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:24   #9
G19Tony
CLM Number 3
Sneet

I have the original case for my 1st gen, AH1XX. I didn't think to see if it would go in hot. I don't think I'll try either.

I sure like it.

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten it.

"What's the point of living the majority of your life preparing for that last little bit?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:26   #10
Disregarded9-side
Armchair IPSCer

My uncle has two cases like that, lock hole through the trigger and spaces for ammo.

I thought all first gens did...

Awesome pistol.
Disregarded9-side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 15:39   #11
Univac

I misspoke earlier. I tried it and you CAN put a first Gen in its original Tupperware case with the trigger in the ready position. I didn't know because I never tried it. Putting it away hot would be like having your finger inside the trigger guard and I would expect it to discharge. I only used to case to store or transport it. If I thought I needed it, it was loaded and in a holster.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:27   #12
truckcop

If I recall correctly, the hole in the original box was an Austrian Army requirement that the boxes could be stacked in the armory with a rod through the stack then being able to lock and secure the whole stack.
truckcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 17:04   #13
Mitch_Rapp.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I have the original case for my 1st gen, AH1XX. I didn't think to see if it would go in hot. I don't think I'll try either.

I sure like it.
What kind of shape is you AH in? I have AL07# and it is in such good shape I don't want to shoot it for fear of the unlikey. I would love to get an older Gen 1 shooter.
Lee

Pistols, Black Rifle, Shotgun, Noisy Cricket.
Mitch_Rapp.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 19:44   #14
den888

Very nice !
den888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 21:25   #15
G19Tony
CLM Number 3
Sneet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_Rapp.45 View Post
What kind of shape is you AH in? I have AL07# and it is in such good shape I don't want to shoot it for fear of the unlikey. I would love to get an older Gen 1 shooter.
Lee
It's a shooter, Mitch, but it's not for sale. I like it too much.

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten it.

"What's the point of living the majority of your life preparing for that last little bit?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 18:59   #16
Mitch_Rapp.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
It's a shooter, Mitch, but it's not for sale. I like it too much.
My AL fell into the "shooter" category not too long ago.. Pencil barrel and all.
Lee

Pistols, Black Rifle, Shotgun, Noisy Cricket.
Mitch_Rapp.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:20   #17
trakker45

My "EB" (December 1988) prefix G17 with Austrian proofs

Stays with me all the time. I bought another NIB 1st gen G17 at one point that I should never have traded. At least I was smart enough to keep this one. It came with the original box, mags, manual, etc. Internals have been upgraded and it wears meprolights.

Last edited by trakker45; 10-09-2010 at 19:59..
trakker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 16:02   #18
raising_arizona

Very nice! Hopefully, in 20 years I'll be saying the same thing about my 17.
Old 09-29-2009, 16:52   #19
den888

Very nice !!
den888 is offline   Reply With Quote