Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-23-2009, 21:00   #1
pariah

Enfield Rifle No.5 Mk.1 "Jungle Carbine"

So I just picke done of these up [couldn't resist the price]. I hear a couple of things frequently about these guns that I'm unsure about and I wanted to hear from some one out there who owns one.

First is the so called "wanderign zero". Some say the british wouldn;t have ditched it if there wasn't a problem. Others say they've never experiences it and think the real problem ma be the "flinch factor". what's your experience?

The other is the kick - Ive seen several referances to to it's "fierce recoil", So... how "fierce" are we talking? M38 or M44 Mosin rifle fierce? Worse? Less?

Anything I shuld be aware of before shooting this? I've already gave it a complete arsenal level tear down and clean, and have some nice Privi Partizan ammo for it.

Thanks~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Available Worldwide!
pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:42   #2
Rick O'Shay

The wandering zero is mainly a myth. There can be phenomena with almost any rifle, where the barrel isn't floated properly, bands over-tightened, etc., but most JC owners I've talked to say it shoots just fine.

As for recoil, it's much more pleasant than an 8mm Yugo. I really enjoy shooting the JC, and I think it'll be one of your all-time favorites. The .303 is an awesome round, and the No.5 Mk.1 is well-designed to use it.

The main things to look for before shooting:
1) Bore obstructions (duh).
2) bolt and receiver serial numbers matching (an indicator that head space is good.)
3) Cracks/damage to the chamber, bolt, and barrel.

If these check out OK, she should be all set to go. Happy shootin'.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:04   #3
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Did you try it yet? How's it shoot?

Got pics???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Patron Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:02   #4
DougW
Native Texan

A good #5mk1 will be a long time companion. With the smallish butt pad, it can be a bit tough on the shoulder in the summer months. Still, they are a bunch of fun, and have a futuristic look.

I have an all matching 8/45 Fazakerley that is in such good shape that I retired it from shooting. I bought a 46 BSA from SOG that has a lot of external rust, and the wood was dismal. But, internally, it is in very good shape, so it now resides in aome modified #4 wood woth a "L" long butt stock. It is my shooter, and though it needs #5 wood, it is all matching. Too bad it was so poorly stored.

The "Wandering Zero" was a political issue. When the US, with the M1, rge Russians with the SKS and AK47, and the development of other semi auto rifles from Belgium and France, the last thing the British Army wanted was to be stuck with a bolt action rifle. Though the #5mk1 was issued, it was never oficially the exclusive rifle of the British Army. The #4mk1 remained the issued rifle, even being used in Korea by the Commonwealth Forces (We were still using the M1 Garand and Carbune of course). As a footnote, neither if my #5's show any issue of the wandering zero, even after rapid fire on a hot day.

Military Surplus Forum

The Fazakerley is on the left, the BSA on the right.

Military Surplus Forum

The Fazakerley at 100 yards, 5 shot group with battle sights from the bench with sand bags under the forearm.

Proud Father of Two US Army Soldiers

Last edited by DougW; 01-31-2010 at 10:06..
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote