SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-25-2009, 15:32   #1
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Any Shellfishermen Here?

If you live on the coast and you're loking for a fun family outing, consider clamming or oystering.

Hunting, Fishing & Camping

Took my family out to the Hood Canal area in Western Washington and clammed out limit of 200 native littlenecks, manilas, and butter clams.

We even dug up a few oysters but put them back as I've never schucked an oyster before.

Great time and on a good low tide, you're sure to go home with lots of clams in a productive or well-seeded beach area.

We put 100 clams on the BBQ and in five minutes had clams for everyone. Had a side of red potatos, onions, and corn. Schucked the rest for the clam meat for fried clams, stir fried clams, clam dip, clams alredo.

Yum!

Last edited by duncan; 05-25-2009 at 16:12..
duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 23:00   #2
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

I would gladly be a shellfisherman if I were near a beach.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:03   #3
Wet Dog

These guys have shells, do they count?

I paddle out in my canoe and drop my pot, wait a few hours and go get dinner. Sitting on the deck with a salad fresh from the garden, just caught crab and a glass of wine is the definition of good livin.

Last edited by Wet Dog; 05-27-2009 at 19:09..
Wet Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 17:58   #4
col_jp

Was just talking about this , this weekend. I used to dig right down at Saltwater state park. I don't think we can even dig on this side of the sound anymore, because of polution. I will have to look and see.

Looks like a good haul.

JP
col_jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:11   #5
creaky
Pamwe Chete

Quote:
We put 100 clams on the BBQ and in five minutes had clams for everyone. Had a side of red potatos, onions, and corn. Schucked the rest for the clam meat for fried clams, stir fried clams, clam dip, clams alredo.

Yum!
Man, that sounds good! (except for the oysters. Those things are nasty and shouldn't be considered food. IMHO, of course)
Old 06-07-2009, 02:41   #6
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Dog View Post
These guys have shells, do they count?

I paddle out in my canoe and drop my pot, wait a few hours and go get dinner. Sitting on the deck with a salad fresh from the garden, just caught crab and a glass of wine is the definition of good livin.

So tell me about crabbing with a kayak or canoe. Been thinking of getting one anyways.

Think the guys at the butchers shop will give you salmon bones from their filets for crabbing.
Old 06-07-2009, 21:33   #7
Wet Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
So tell me about crabbing with a kayak or canoe.
I prefer the canoe for crabbing. It is stable enough for me pull up my pots (125' of line) and handles the chop well. The downside is that the wind blows the canoe around more than the they kayak. A neighbor uses his Kayak and pulls a raft to transport the pots.

I would not recommend the pot shown in the picture. It is sturdy but HEAVY. The square version is lighter and works just as well unless there are strong currents where you are crabbing. Salmon heads, chicken and turkey seem to be the best bait. I've used freezer burned game and beef too. It worked.

Just a few other tips are:
- don't let go of your pot if it hasn't hit the bottom...
- have a tide table and plan your drops and pullouts around it. In some areas launching is impossible at certain tides.
-Those black/gray nitrel gloves work great and offer good protection from the jellyfish stings (they get caught up on your line).
-Your pots will get raided. It happens every year, especially around the holidays. Plenty of scumbags with boats.
-A GPS is handy for locating your pots on busy weekends during the first part of the season. It will also confirm that your pot has been raided and you'll need to look and hopefully they didn't take it...
-If you don't have a GPS take at least two visual bearings. Even in a motorboat you can spend a lot of time looking for your pots.
-I learned how to canoe in the Boy Scouts. If you don't have canoe experience learn the J stroke (to go straight without switching sides), how to unswamp a canoe if you manage to roll it and how to load the canoe. If you go alone you'll want be more centered. In pairs the heavier person goes in the back.
-Wear a personal flotation device. Its big water and people die every year thinking they can swim back to shore.
-A five gallon bucket will hold a limit of crabs. I kill and clean them when I get back to shore and boil them as soon as I get home (I only live a 1/4 mile from the beach).
-Make or buy a measuring tool
-Avoid the pinchers, it hurts and they don't let go willingly. Once pinched watch out for that other claw, it's coming for ya..

Last edited by Wet Dog; 06-07-2009 at 21:39..
Wet Dog is offline   Reply With Quote