Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-27-2009, 00:01   #1
emt1581
Curious Member

Thoughts on this netbook?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Sku=S445-89002

I need a netbook pretty much for tooling around online. I watch youtube vids, use my internet phone, and print stuff out.

Will this be more than adequate? What are your thoughts?

Are there any cheaper that will do what I need?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:34   #2
C/O-RC

my wife has it for taking notes in class and she loves it. it does email, surfing the web and MS word fine just no dvd/cd drive
Old 05-27-2009, 03:38   #3
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Sku=S445-89002

I need a netbook pretty much for tooling around online. I watch youtube vids, use my internet phone, and print stuff out.

Will this be more than adequate? What are your thoughts?

Are there any cheaper that will do what I need?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
To get one much cheaper than that, you're gonna have to get one w/ Linux, and even then, it may not be cheaper than that. Plus, all the Linux ones, come w/ SSD's.. to me, that's just not acceptable.

As I said in your other thread, I think the only issue, is Office. You can use Open Office for what it sounds like you do, with no problem. I don't think you'll be able to transfer it from your current PC, to the AAO, unless you were given the disk, which is unlikely nowdays and you'd still need an external optical drive to install it.

Beyond that, yes, I'd recommend that one. I've been happy with mine. I don't know how hard up you are for hard drive space, but here's one that just popped up today, same price, 160gig hard drive.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...782&CatId=2814
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:35   #4
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
To get one much cheaper than that, you're gonna have to get one w/ Linux, and even then, it may not be cheaper than that. Plus, all the Linux ones, come w/ SSD's.. to me, that's just not acceptable.

As I said in your other thread, I think the only issue, is Office. You can use Open Office for what it sounds like you do, with no problem. I don't think you'll be able to transfer it from your current PC, to the AAO, unless you were given the disk, which is unlikely nowdays and you'd still need an external optical drive to install it.

Beyond that, yes, I'd recommend that one. I've been happy with mine. I don't know how hard up you are for hard drive space, but here's one that just popped up today, same price, 160gig hard drive.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...782&CatId=2814

THANKS!!

I ordered that one.

Thanks again!

-Emt1581
Old 05-27-2009, 09:48   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
THANKS!!

I ordered that one.

Thanks again!

-Emt1581
I think you're gonna really like it. Mine is very similar to that second one I linked.. Different model #, so something is different, but everything from the color to the specs, appear the same. I've been very happy with mine.

Good luck

IGF
Old 05-27-2009, 09:54   #6
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
I think you're gonna really like it. Mine is very similar to that second one I linked.. Different model #, so something is different, but everything from the color to the specs, appear the same. I've been very happy with mine.

Good luck

IGF
After what Deanster said in my other thread I'm just really hoping that I like the 8.9" sceen vs. a 10.1" screen. 1.2" is a 1/10-ish difference so again, hopefully I won't go blind trying to stare at it for 6 hours at a time.

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Old 05-27-2009, 17:12   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
After what Deanster said in my other thread I'm just really hoping that I like the 8.9" sceen vs. a 10.1" screen. 1.2" is a 1/10-ish difference so again, hopefully I won't go blind trying to stare at it for 6 hours at a time.

Thanks!

-Emt1581
I run dual, 19in monitors at home... I find the 8.9in screen just fine.

IGF
Old 05-27-2009, 17:56   #8
longhaulcop

Hook my Acer to my 20" Acer screen and it works great. Best Buy is even selling the 20" screens now for about $100.00.
This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on the left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow or my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me, facing the enemy.
longhaulcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:10   #9
LinuxKnight
Edge Of Reality

I just recently picked up an Acer Aspire One 150-1555 (similar specs, 160GB HDD, 1GB RAM, Atom 1.6ghz CPU, but black).

I got mine from Fry's, a basically new in the box return, cheaper than new, but not as cheap as these refurbs on TigerDirect. It did not look like it had been used at all.
I used to work in retail as a computer tech so I know what signs to look for.

I ran some basic hardware tests to ensure functionality and all that, then formatted a USB flash drive with a Fedora LiveCD image, booted it, and partitioned the HDD and installed Fedora. Everything works like a champ, except I think the microphone. I found a couple tweaks for the sound settings and haven't tried it again yet.

Anyway, all in all I am happy with it. It will come in very handy for some upcoming Linux conventions I will be volunteering at, I am a Fedora Ambassador and will be helping at the booth.

If you want to try a live CD Linux on a netbook and don't have a USB CD/DVD drive handy, you can use a couple different tools to "burn" a CD ISO image to a USB flash drive, and boot from it. Then you can take Linux for a test drive without installing it- or if you like it, you can install it from the live image.

-Fedora Live USB creator: https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/
-Unetbootin: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

The first one is made by and for Fedora people, so it focuses on that. It supports downloading several versions of Fedora (including Beta).
The second one is more generic and supports multiple different distributions, including Ubuntu.

In both cases, you tell it what you want to use, put a 1GB or bigger USB flash drive in, and voila, bootable USB flash drive (provided your system supports booting from USB, all netbooks do and most modern laptops and desktops as well).

"A republic, if you can keep it."
-Benjamin Franklin
LinuxKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:18   #10
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxKnight View Post
I just recently picked up an Acer Aspire One 150-1555 (similar specs, 160GB HDD, 1GB RAM, Atom 1.6ghz CPU, but black).

I got mine from Fry's, a basically new in the box return, cheaper than new, but not as cheap as these refurbs on TigerDirect. It did not look like it had been used at all.
I used to work in retail as a computer tech so I know what signs to look for.

I ran some basic hardware tests to ensure functionality and all that, then formatted a USB flash drive with a Fedora LiveCD image, booted it, and partitioned the HDD and installed Fedora. Everything works like a champ, except I think the microphone. I found a couple tweaks for the sound settings and haven't tried it again yet.

Anyway, all in all I am happy with it. It will come in very handy for some upcoming Linux conventions I will be volunteering at, I am a Fedora Ambassador and will be helping at the booth.

If you want to try a live CD Linux on a netbook and don't have a USB CD/DVD drive handy, you can use a couple different tools to "burn" a CD ISO image to a USB flash drive, and boot from it. Then you can take Linux for a test drive without installing it- or if you like it, you can install it from the live image.

-Fedora Live USB creator: https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/
-Unetbootin: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

The first one is made by and for Fedora people, so it focuses on that. It supports downloading several versions of Fedora (including Beta).
The second one is more generic and supports multiple different distributions, including Ubuntu.

In both cases, you tell it what you want to use, put a 1GB or bigger USB flash drive in, and voila, bootable USB flash drive (provided your system supports booting from USB, all netbooks do and most modern laptops and desktops as well).
I use a standard, Ubuntu 9.04 on my AAO. I tested the webcam w/ Cheese, and it seemed to work fine (don't use it)... I've used my mic w/ Skype, and it seems OK.

Unetbootin is an awesome tool. IF by some miracle a distro you want to try is not in the drop down list, you can download the ISO file for it manually, and just choose the manual ISO image. It works fantastic.

Hope you like the AAO, I really like mine.

IGF
Old 05-29-2009, 13:33   #11
emt1581
Curious Member

Well it came and I'm typing on it now. And in the nick of time too...we're now in ICU because my fiancee's grand-mother is in bad shape and we have at least an 8hr. shift ahead of us! Thank God for portability!!

This thing is perfect!! It's small but the perfect size. Super lightweight. 3hr battery. Keyboard is slightly smaller than my normal one but I'm already used to it. Biggest difference is the mouse but since I double click on the pad and rarely use the buttons, it's not a big deal.

Thanks for all the help!!!

-Emt1581
Old 05-29-2009, 13:42   #12
MavsX
The Dude Abides

good work man.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 14:57   #13
emt1581
Curious Member

Two questions...

1) Does anyone block their webcams...physically? Because friends of mine used to mess around with trojan horse progams in undergrad, I know how easy it is for someone to gain accesss to it. I'd like to disable it without having to put a piece of tape over it. Is there any way to ensure it's not being activated?

2) How can I protect the power-jack/port? The one problem I have on ALL my laptops is that over time, I become complacent and the cord will get some good plugs. Usually the pin will seperate from the mother board and then I have to buy another computer...other than the obvious..."Don't be so rough!"...are there any devices (clamps/clips/etc.) to help protect this area?

Thanks!!

-Emt1581
Old 05-29-2009, 16:49   #14
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Two questions...

1) Does anyone block their webcams...physically? Because friends of mine used to mess around with trojan horse progams in undergrad, I know how easy it is for someone to gain accesss to it. I'd like to disable it without having to put a piece of tape over it. Is there any way to ensure it's not being activated?

2) How can I protect the power-jack/port? The one problem I have on ALL my laptops is that over time, I become complacent and the cord will get some good plugs. Usually the pin will seperate from the mother board and then I have to buy another computer...other than the obvious..."Don't be so rough!"...are there any devices (clamps/clips/etc.) to help protect this area?

Thanks!!

-Emt1581
1. Unfortunately, I'm not near my AAO, but is there a BIOS option to disable it? I *think* there is. The other option, would be to disable the device in Windows Device Manager.. Now I'm not that familiar w/ Windows anymore, so you'll have to disable it, and then make sure Windows doesn't reinstall it next time you restart.

2. Do not know, but I'll say it.. Don't be so rough..

Once you get used to the keyboard, its really a snap to type on. It took me a very short time to adapt to it, and it came to a point when I typed on my big laptop, it felt like the keyboard was just massive.. The only thing I just cannot get used to on my AAO, is the touchpad. I hate it. This is not the AAO's fault, I hate touchpads period, no matter what laptop they are on. So I usually keep a cheap optical mouse in my bag w/ my AAO. The touchpad however, I have used it on occasion, and it is serviceable, I just don't like it..

I'll say a prayer for your fiance's grandmother.

IGF
Old 05-29-2009, 16:52   #15
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
1. Unfortunately, I'm not near my AAO, but is there a BIOS option to disable it? I *think* there is. The other option, would be to disable the device in Windows Device Manager.. Now I'm not that familiar w/ Windows anymore, so you'll have to disable it, and then make sure Windows doesn't reinstall it next time you restart.

2. Do not know, but I'll say it.. Don't be so rough..

Once you get used to the keyboard, its really a snap to type on. It took me a very short time to adapt to it, and it came to a point when I typed on my big laptop, it felt like the keyboard was just massive.. The only thing I just cannot get used to on my AAO, is the touchpad. I hate it. This is not the AAO's fault, I hate touchpads period, no matter what laptop they are on. So I usually keep a cheap optical mouse in my bag w/ my AAO. The touchpad however, I have used it on occasion, and it is serviceable, I just don't like it..

I'll say a prayer for your fiance's grandmother.

IGF

Thanks for the info, and speaking of the mouse...I keep "shrinking" the text/screen unintentionally when dragging the mouse. What'll happen is a little silver icon pops up under the pointer and then the text either gets gigantic or shrinks to unreadable and I have to close the window to regain normal text. To be honest it would be nice to have the text a little bit bigger. I know that after a few hours of where it is now my eyes are gonna bother me.

How do I take away the shinking problem and also how do I make the text slightly bigger?

Thanks!!!

-Emt1581
Old 05-29-2009, 17:03   #16
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Thanks for the info, and speaking of the mouse...I keep "shrinking" the text/screen unintentionally when dragging the mouse. What'll happen is a little silver icon pops up under the pointer and then the text either gets gigantic or shrinks to unreadable and I have to close the window to regain normal text. To be honest it would be nice to have the text a little bit bigger. I know that after a few hours of where it is now my eyes are gonna bother me.

How do I take away the shinking problem and also how do I make the text slightly bigger?

Thanks!!!

-Emt1581
I don't use Internet Exploder (and really nobody should)...

Join the revolution: http://www.firefox.com

Firefox, Its Control and + (so you'll have to use the Shift key also)... to make it bigger, and Control and - to make it smaller. I'm not sure where the touchpad settings are in Windows.
Old 05-29-2009, 17:07   #17
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
I don't use Internet Exploder (and really nobody should)...

Join the revolution: http://www.firefox.com

Firefox, Its Control and + (so you'll have to use the Shift key also)... to make it bigger, and Control and - to make it smaller. I'm not sure where the touchpad settings are in Windows.
I dunno, I'm pretty comfy on IE. What's so bad about it?

I used FF on a Mac and I didn't care for it. Just out of place controls is all...didn't notice a difference with performance.

So you're not firmiliar with what's going on with the shrinking text?

Thanks!!

-Emt1581
Old 05-29-2009, 17:14   #18
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
I dunno, I'm pretty comfy on IE. What's so bad about it?

I used FF on a Mac and I didn't care for it. Just out of place controls is all...didn't notice a difference with performance.

So you're not firmiliar with what's going on with the shrinking text?

Thanks!!

-Emt1581
IE represents all that is evil, and wrong in this world..

OK, first understand you're talking to someone who has not used Internet Exploder in about 8yrs, and hasn't used Windows regularly in about 4. There might be something you can disable in keyboard shortcuts to stop this.

IGF
Old 05-29-2009, 20:40   #19
emt1581
Curious Member

One thing I'm definitely noticing is that this computer is slower in downloading/watching youtube videos. I wouldn't say much slower but it's enough that you have to let the video load for a while before you press play otherwise the play speed catches up to the downloader portion pretty quick.

EDIT: Let me correct that...this thing SUCKS when watching/downloading videos!!!!

Maybe I'm going something wrong or maybe it needs some little part/program to speed it up but it's seriously rediculous!! It's about as slow as when webcams first came out and you saw a pic...then five seconds later you saw another pic. I didn't read any comments that would lead me to believe this is how it should be...so again, what do I do to correct the problem?

Still curious what I should do to get rid of this shink-screen thing.

Thanks!!

-Emt1581

Last edited by emt1581; 05-29-2009 at 20:50..
Old 05-30-2009, 00:13   #20
emt1581
Curious Member

Rather than edit my previous post again, I'll add some data. I've found that only certain TYPES of video files are slow. Most are just fine. But sometimes I'll click to play and it'll be rediculously slow. Again, it's like watching a slide show.

Something I found out is that this refurb has Office installed!!! B O N U S!!!!

I guess the previous owner installed it, sent it back to the factory, and they never wiped it off. I'm not sure how else to explain it.

Just figured I'd share.

-Emt1581