Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:12   #1
kjb247

how to recover email msgs and contacts

OK, my old desktop (HP with Win XP) will not boot up. Apparantly the boot files (or whatever they're called) on the hard drive got fried and don't work anymore. I bought a USB-IDE adapter cable and hooked up the hard drive to my laptop. I have access to all the files and docs on the old hard drive.

I was using outlook express for the email on the desktop but did not have email on the laptop. I set up the email on the laptop now but (obviously) I don't have any of my contacts or old email messages anymore. I looked on the old drive under Program Files/Outlook Express but can't find them anywhere. Is there somewhere else they would be stored? I need the contacts and several of the messages. Can anyone help please!!?
kjb247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:30   #2
SKeefe

Try this location or something similar.

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
SKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 13:02   #3
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

address book file is a .wab file.

Do a search for *.wab and it will find the file. If you cannot read the old harddrive This will not help.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 14:09   #4
MavsX
The Dude Abides

anybody know if outlook express uses .pst files ? or is that with just outlook 200x
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 18:48   #5
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX View Post
anybody know if outlook express uses .pst files ? or is that with just outlook 200x
Nope, .PST files are Outlook only.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 18:56   #6
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjb247 View Post
I was using outlook express for the email on the desktop but did not have email on the laptop. I set up the email on the laptop now but (obviously) I don't have any of my contacts or old email messages anymore. I looked on the old drive under Program Files/Outlook Express but can't find them anywhere. Is there somewhere else they would be stored? I need the contacts and several of the messages. Can anyone help please!!?
Like SKeefe said search for the ... Identities folder. If you created folders to store your mail separate from the In box then the quickest way to find the correct Identities folder is to search for one of those folders by name ... like "John's saved mail" etc ...

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote