Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-28-2009, 17:46   #1
SergeantC

Carbonite

Does anyone have any experience with the Carbonite on-line backup program offered by Corel?

They've just sent me an ad for it, and it is intriguing. I've already had one big crash this year.

Is it something people recommend, or should I look for a different on-line backup program?

Thanks.

When did dissent become un-patriotic?
SergeantC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 18:16   #2
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Why pay someone to store your data? Just buy a external hard drive and do it yourself.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 19:54   #3
MavsX
The Dude Abides

not sure what corel is. but carbonite.com is a service i have used at my office.

We have 3 employees that have company laptops. Since, they don't ever come in the office, they are pretty much on their own. Which also limits them to getting vpn access. So we can't backup their data/push them software/shared drives. So for backing up their critical data, we use carbonite . It's pretty cool software, i think it's insanely cheap. And it works in the background. the first initial backup takes forever depending on your upload speed. It could take days if you have a slow connection.

We have not had to restore any of the files backed up, but i am sure it is easy. I have easily uploaded 20 to 30 gigs to cabonites servers.

I have thoughts of buying it for my home system. And sgt. schultz, i got a 2 raid 1's arrays and i have an external drive that i manually backup my data, and i keep that drive unplugged, unless i want to make a new backup. I guess, one can never have enough backups!

try it out. I think if you google carbonite coupons you can find a bunch of websites with links to coupons. I just did a laptop last month. I got a 1 year of backup for like $46.00, which was 20% cheaper (i think) than the regular price.

good luck man
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 20:44   #4
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX View Post
We have not had to restore any of the files backed up, but i am sure it is easy.
Thatís taking a big risk because you will never know for certain that it works unless you actually test it and you should test it frequently.

Quote:
I got a 2 raid 1's arrays and I have an external drive that I manually backup my data, and i keep that drive unplugged, unless I want to make a new backup. I guess, one can never have enough backups!
I donít like using RAID for personal systems; I find that itís quicker to use a disc image and restore a hard drive, especially since I keep all of my data, e-mail etc ... on a second drive. I use xxcopy and a automated batch file to backup that data to another hard drive and two other computers on my LAN as well as a pair of external hard drives that are rotated weekly and kept off sight.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:52   #5
grokdesigns

I have used Carbonite for almost 2 years and have had absolutely no issues, including with restoring data. I run it on my home server and my wife's laptop.
grokdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:57   #6
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Quote:
not sure what corel is. but carbonite.com is a service i have used at my office.

We have 3 employees that have company laptops. Since, they don't ever come in the office, they are pretty much on their own. Which also limits them to getting vpn access. So we can't backup their data/push them software/shared drives. So for backing up their critical data, we use carbonite . It's pretty cool software, i think it's insanely cheap. And it works in the background. the first initial backup takes forever depending on your upload speed. It could take days if you have a slow connection.

We have not had to restore any of the files backed up, but i am sure it is easy. I have easily uploaded 20 to 30 gigs to cabonites servers.

I have thoughts of buying it for my home system. And sgt. schultz, i got a 2 raid 1's arrays and i have an external drive that i manually backup my data, and i keep that drive unplugged, unless i want to make a new backup. I guess, one can never have enough backups!

try it out. I think if you google carbonite coupons you can find a bunch of websites with links to coupons. I just did a laptop last month. I got a 1 year of backup for like $46.00, which was 20% cheaper (i think) than the regular price.

good luck man
Corel graphics software company?
Old 05-29-2009, 13:48   #7
MavsX
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzer View Post
Corel graphics software company?

yeah i figured that's what he meant. But i wasn't really sure why he would get an offer for carbonite through corel. thats why i was questioning it.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 15:32   #8
luckduck10mm

We use Carbonite in our office, but I use Mozy at home. Mozy is backed by EMC, so I know that there is a great company behind them. That being said, there are a lot of good options out there; hopefully this review helps:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2288755,00.asp

Most of the companies will give you 2GB a month for free, and the full data backup for ~
$5 to $10. I have a USB drive attached to my computer that does daily backups, a "server" that I backup to monthly (old PC with lots of disks), as well as the online backup.

While the online backup seems like overkill, losing zero data after the fires we had last year makes it money well spent on my part.
luckduck10mm is offline   Reply With Quote