SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-04-2009, 14:49   #1
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Mascara Ratings

I know we've had postings over here before for tips on which makeup stands up in heat/humidity etc. I also know we've had questions on mascaras and which work best.

I found this blog about two months ago, and I've already tried two of her "best rated" from off the list. There's another girl in my office who wanted really long lashes and considered taking Latisse but tried one of Brittany's "best rated" for lengthening mascaras (Maybelline Lash Stiletto). She seems pleased.

Clumps of Mascara:
http://www.clumpsofmascara.com/2003/03/mascara-bin.html

Remember that this girl rates based on whether or not the brand does what it is designed (or advertises) to do. That is, if it is a volumizing mascara, it has to lengthen AND widen lashes. If it is for curling, she rates based on that factor. So far, I've found her ratings to be pretty dead on.
Old 06-05-2009, 22:00   #2
Foxterriermom

The two I use the most aren't even posted. I switch between Avon's Daring Curves and Uplifting. I apply once in the morning (2 coats) and it lasts through all day and evening, even a mid-day workout in the Texas heat without flaking or smudging. I get told all the time I have beautiful eyelashes when I wear either of these two.
Foxterriermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 17:19   #3
Cat91
Red Tabby

Every time I wear any kind of eye makeup for more than a couple weeks I get sore eyes and have to give it up for a month. Man, that's annoying. I save it for when I REALLY need it, and then I generally go for Almay, they're great.

Miao, Cat
Cat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:39   #4
Mrs. Tink
Semper Fidelis

A lot of you know that I'm a Mary Kay consultant on the side. Anyway, there was a big workshop given by Robert Jones, a prominent makeup artist, here in Denver a few weeks ago. He had a neat mascara tip that I'll share.

Top lashes: First, you take the want and hold it horizontally like usual, and apply from base to tip using a bit of a zigzag motion. Let the coat dry. Then, hold the wand VERTICALLY, and apply from base to tip, moving from one side to the other as necessary. Let the coat dry. Finally, apply a third coat in the same manner as the first.

Bottom lashes: Just do one coat in the manner of the first and third on top--base to tip using a zigzag motion.

If you use an electric eyelash curler, then use it AFTER the mascara. Seems counterintuitive, but it works.

This has really been making our eyelashes pop. I am a bit like Cat--I can't wear mascara much, but when I do want to wear it, this has made a difference.
Being a conservative and being a good leader is not enough for some people. They want to measure your principles by how harshly you criticize the people that disagree with you. There’s a technical term for that political strategy: stupid. ~State Sen. Shawn Mitchell, R-CO

Americans have put clowns in for government officials and wonder why this place runs like a circus. ~engineer151515
Mrs. Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:23   #5
kcb
Southern Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Tink View Post
A lot of you know that I'm a Mary Kay consultant on the side. Anyway, there was a big workshop given by Robert Jones, a prominent makeup artist, here in Denver a few weeks ago. He had a neat mascara tip that I'll share.

Top lashes: First, you take the want and hold it horizontally like usual, and apply from base to tip using a bit of a zigzag motion. Let the coat dry. Then, hold the wand VERTICALLY, and apply from base to tip, moving from one side to the other as necessary. Let the coat dry. Finally, apply a third coat in the same manner as the first.

Bottom lashes: Just do one coat in the manner of the first and third on top--base to tip using a zigzag motion.

If you use an electric eyelash curler, then use it AFTER the mascara. Seems counterintuitive, but it works.

This has really been making our eyelashes pop. I am a bit like Cat--I can't wear mascara much, but when I do want to wear it, this has made a difference.
Thanks for the tips, Mrs. Tink!

However, guess it shows how out of it I am...I've never heard of or SEEN an electric eyelash curler!!! I have an antique eyelash curler...which I use everyday....BEFORE I put on mascara!

I'll have to keep my eyes open for an electric eyelash curler!

Very interesting thread!

Karen
kcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:37   #6
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcb View Post
Thanks for the tips, Mrs. Tink!

However, guess it shows how out of it I am...I've never heard of or SEEN an electric eyelash curler!!! I have an antique eyelash curler...which I use everyday....BEFORE I put on mascara!

I'll have to keep my eyes open for an electric eyelash curler!

Very interesting thread!
I own an electric one. I bought it about 8 or so months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AQU8JK?...0&linkCode=asn

If you didn't see your brand of mascara on the website (blog), you can email Brittany and suggest it for review. That's how she compiles her lists is from Viewer requests.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:38   #7
kcb
Southern Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGal View Post
I own an electric one. I bought it about 8 or so months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AQU8JK?...0&linkCode=asn

If you didn't see your brand of mascara on the website (blog), you can email Brittany and suggest it for review. That's how she compiles her lists is from Viewer requests.
Okay!

Thanks for the link, Rachel!

Karen
Old 06-09-2009, 14:14   #8
Mrs. Tink
Semper Fidelis

It is kind of interesting, isn't it! Here's another link for an electric eyelash curler.

http://www.robertjonesbeauty.com/rjb_tools.htm

It just runs on a single battery.
Being a conservative and being a good leader is not enough for some people. They want to measure your principles by how harshly you criticize the people that disagree with you. There’s a technical term for that political strategy: stupid. ~State Sen. Shawn Mitchell, R-CO

Americans have put clowns in for government officials and wonder why this place runs like a circus. ~engineer151515
Mrs. Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 15:36   #9
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Quote:
It is kind of interesting, isn't it! Here's another link for an electric eyelash curler.

Yep. That's the "new style" electric eyelash curler. That little rod looking thingy heats up and you run it underneath your lashes. Supposedly the heat makes the lashes curl upward without having to be crimped.

I wasn't sure it would work on mine, so I got the crimping kind instead.
Old 06-09-2009, 16:00   #10
Zonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGal View Post
Yep. That's the "new style" electric eyelash curler. That little rod looking thingy heats up and you run it underneath your lashes. Supposedly the heat makes the lashes curl upward without having to be crimped.

I wasn't sure it would work on mine, so I got the crimping kind instead.
SG are you happy with that curler? I have always used the old style ones, but it seems lately, they no longer work.
Old 06-09-2009, 16:22   #11
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
SG are you happy with that curler? I have always used the old style ones, but it seems lately, they no longer work.

I am happy with it, but it does eat batteries pretty efficiently. You let it heat up for 10 seconds before using, then crimp for 10-15 seconds on each eyelid.

There's another kind out there that you can heat the pads with a hairdryer before using. I'd have to search around for the name of it.
Old 06-09-2009, 16:29   #12
kcb
Southern Lady

Quote:

I've used the classic eyelash curler since HIGH SCHOOL!!!

I didn't realize that there were electric available...I wonder if my daughters knew and have been keeping me out of the loop!

Karen