SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-09-2009, 19:21   #1
Targettarget
Oilfield Trash

Blew out my laptop with compressed air.

I posted a while ago about blowing out my laptop with compressed air due to some overheating issues and whatnot.

Anyways, just thought I'd report back that since I've done it, my computers fan doesn't even turn on, that's how "cool" it runs now.

It used to shut off after a half hour or so and the bottom was hot enough that you literally could not touch the plastic.

I highly recommend that if you have a laptop older then 6 months or so and an air compressor that you do this. I'm amazed at the results, myself.

I didn't go crazy with the air (about 80 psi and a foot away), but it sure made a difference!
Targettarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 19:49   #2
Jeremy_K

That stuff in the can air duster works fine. it's easy to remove the bottom panels and have full access to the fan.
Jeremy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 20:08   #3
jdavionic
NRA Member

+1 It just seems to run so much better when you get it periodically blown clean...the laptop, of course. Seriously the keys get hung up...so nailing the keyboard is good too.

I learned the hard way that crud can get everywhere on a computer and that the circuit boards are not conformal coated. I accidentally spilt a little water on the keyboard. It totally buggered it up. Fortunately I disassembled the keyboard and dried it out with air and it started working again. But I was shocked at how crap seemed to get everywhere in there.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:54   #4
Rec4LMS

Just be careful when using compressed air on the fan blades. You can damage the blades and the motor. Generally, I use a toothpick to hold the blade in place and I'm careful when cleaning around the blades.

"The number of casualties at the site of an attempted mass shooting is usually determined by whether the gun used to stop the killer is already at the site, or whether it must be carried there in the holster of a police officer."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Rec4LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 14:21   #5
Ragin Cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec4LMS View Post
Just be careful when using compressed air on the fan blades. You can damage the blades and the motor. Generally, I use a toothpick to hold the blade in place and I'm careful when cleaning around the blades.
HOW TRUE? The compressed air will really cause the blades to spin way too fast. Goes for the desktops as well. I jam the fan blades with a wood stick before blowing the dust out. Amazing how much dust collects.

RC
Old 06-17-2009, 14:51   #6
bchandler

Be careful when using canned air to hold the can vertically only! Otherwise it can spray out liquid propellant along with the air.
bchandler is offline   Reply With Quote