Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-15-2009, 23:16   #1
fsqridah

What are my choices?

I've got one more year of college and then it's into the real world of slim pickings. My plan for the last six months was to go directly into LE as a police officer. However, getting into reputable departments around here is very difficult, and most of them around the state are in hiring freezes. So, I'm revisiting my considerations of going into the military as an officer (assuming I could get into OCS). Eventually I'd like to go into a federal agency like the FBI, ATF, DEA, Secret Service, U.S. Marshalls, etc., or on a high-expectations SWAT team. I'm considering the fact that with a college degree, being in LE or military on top of that would give me a good chance of eventually getting a job with the big guys. Anyway, with the economy being extremely tight, the LE route may not offer me the same opportunities that the military would.

As far as choosing a branch, I'm narrowed down to the Army. I could go on all night about why, but I feel the Army would be the best fit for me. For starters, I want to be part of a GI unit. You might call me crazy, but I'd like to be in combat with a rifle in my hands.

The reason I'm posting this thread is to learn about my options in the Army. I know there are Airborne, Rangers, special forces, snipers, etc., but how does one go about enrolling in the training schools for these? My ultimate dream is to be a sniper, whether it's LE or military. I actually met an ex-Army sniper not too long ago, and he told me all about sniper school. Sounds tough, but right up my alley. I've also talked with other current and former Army soldiers, but I never got a clear understanding of how things worked.

So, assuming I was able to complete OCS, where would I go from there? Would I have a choice of what I wanted to pursue, or would I need to wait until they asked for volunteers, or would I have to be selected based on my performances on missions? If anyone could fill me in on this stuff, that'd be great. I will say that I am a very bright, intelligent, and creative person. From the various military personnel I've conversed with, some type of special forces sounds like an excellent fit for me. However, I have no idea how all that stuff works in the Army.
fsqridah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 00:18   #2
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

choice is your's. based on some of your aspirations maybe you'd be better suited for the enlisted route more than officer. only say this cause you sound like you want to do more of the "cool s*!t". reality is that as an officer you'd be pretty much a manager at some capacity. of course, some MOS's give you more hands on experiences than others. for example... in the army snipers are NOT officers. they are a well respected enlisted breed. sorry kid thats just how it works. so there's no reason for you to go the ocs route for a job in could never have as an officer. just do you homework.

check out www.goarmy.com too. lots of info on there.

the armys big buddy... a lot of stuff to choose from. talk to some recruiters get some answers. PM me if you like and i'll give you more info.
:patriot:

Last edited by CPT_CRUNCH; 06-16-2009 at 00:30.. Reason: typos
CPT_CRUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 17:23   #3
Paraiso1

You have alot to learn. In your last year of college, do everything you can to gain more knowledge about the Army and how the Army works. Read.

Last edited by Paraiso1; 11-24-2012 at 18:25..
Paraiso1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:22   #4
mkmckinley

There is only one type of Special Forces (hint:they wear green hats), everyone else falls under Special Operations. I know it seems nit picky but you don't want to sound like an ass. I sent you a PM, but for the possible benefit of other readers I would offer you this piece of advice. Don't say you're an "excellent fit" for a job if you don't really know what it is. When you try out for SF it's kind of like you're trying to get invited into a club. Cockiness and self-entitlement are not well recieved.

Also there are no commisioned snipers. That would be like some kind of mythical creature. Everyone knows officers can't shoot.

Last edited by mkmckinley; 06-24-2009 at 11:34..
mkmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 19:57   #5
Reheater
Yarr

Ill say this as a soldier.

Walking sucks, but it sucks worse when you have to carry all your crap.

Air Cav!
Old 06-24-2009, 20:16   #6
w2n

if your really interested in trying Special Forces ask a recruiter if they are still offering the "REP 63" program. thats the route i took to get in. what it basicly means is that you are joining a National Guard SF Group, either 19th or 20th. and you go active duty to get all your training (good luck getting past SFAS and then the Q course, when i went through about 85% didnt make the cut start to finish). for some MOS' you can be on active duity for a few years plus some (18D comes to mind). i agree with going enlisted as opposed to going officer... but then again every SF team needs a 1Lt and an O-3. and dont worry about being "just NG SF", youll get deployed as much as your active duty buddies, trust me.

anyway with the REP 63 program you dont have to go through the BS of going to a regular unit and then clawing your way to airborn school and then kissing mucho ass to get them to LET you go to SFAS (even in 82nd, 101st, 10th Mountain etc)... all the while extra training on your own time. dont expect them to help you with that.

in the REP 63 program its a fast track to the schools you need. 11B Basic/AIT prob in the Sand Hills at Ft. Benning and then a bus ride over to Jump School the day you graduate that. graduate Jump School and take another bus to Ft. Bragg and get assigned to a JFKSWCS holding Company and wait for PLDC while you pull all kinds of silly guard duities at the John F. Kennedy SF Musiem, out at Camp McKall and a few even get to pull ammo depot duty at Range 37 (and get to buff the hallways in the main building at night, oh yay). then get to wait for SFAS and then the Q while pulling those same duties. and if you get hurt or something guess where you end up untill your good enough to get cycled back in. im making it sound like a bad thing... its not. just a bit boring. but you do get to do fun things for PT like racquetball. oh and being NG you get the added benifit of going through a Pre-SFAS course put on by your Group and sometimes a Pre-Ranger course to keep you high speed low drag during your "down time" inbetween the courses you need.

and then when your tabbed you get to go back to your home unit and train like anyother NG soldier for a while and then get deployed to some fun location for the combat with a rifle fun you crave. but it could actually be more like helping the local population grow food, get medical attention, take care of goats, and fix bridges/buildings with a rifle fun. but having that SF Tab opens up a hell of a lot of opportunities with the FBI/SS/U.S. Marshalls/SWAT crowd.

another bad ass thing to look into is being an Air Force Special Operations Para Jumper (PJ). Those guys get it all, and in a hurry. im talking Jump School and HALO School within months of each other, SERE School, SCUBA School, medical training, im talking the works. i went through a few classes with some. much respect for the PJ.

/end diatribe
Check Out My Abstract Paintings:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
w2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 23:59   #7
tankermw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reheater View Post
Ill say this as a soldier.

Walking sucks, but it sucks worse when you have to carry all your crap.

Air Cav!
That's why I became a tanker! You can kick ass in comfort.
tankermw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:24   #8
w2n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankermw View Post
haha... yeah. 100+ degree, fly infested, BO smelling "comfort".
Check Out My Abstract Paintings:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
w2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:36   #9
Reheater
Yarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankermw View Post
Wow yeah I imagine those seats must be very theraputic after you spend half the day breaking tracks...

TC
"Alright boys gonna be a kick ass day today ... its Range Day!"

Gunner
"Hell yeah, How many rounds we gonna fire!"

TC
"Two!"

Driver
"Oh Man this'll be awesome... I cant wait to sit on a range for 4 hours in the sun to watch you fire 2 rounds and then hope my track doesnt break on the way home."
Old 06-25-2009, 08:56   #10
deadday

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2n View Post
haha... yeah. 100+ degree, fly infested, BO smelling "comfort".
...but they have snow-cone makers in them...
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 20:18   #11
mkmckinley

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadday View Post
...but they have snow-cone makers in them...
My Co just did the POI required to crew the new MRAPs in theater. You're not that far off. They have an air conditioner in the back that feels like it could chill my apartment. There's also a way to jerry rig an iPod into the PA speakers. One of the other features, in these exact words, is "extra padded seats". They're pretty nice, only problem is they're too big to take anywhere.
mkmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote