Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-17-2009, 15:58   #1
Kentucky_Guy

Kentucky CCW Holders....??????

after you took your CCW course, how long did it take you to get your certificate stating you passed the course?????

I took my CCW class May 24th and still have not gotten it....
Kentucky_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 18:09   #2
Combat_vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Guy View Post
after you took your CCW course, how long did it take you to get your certificate stating you passed the course?????

I took my CCW class May 24th and still have not gotten it....
It usually averages about 4 weeks; however, due to the number of applicants and course attendee's thanks to the Obama Administration, I have no doubt they are inundated!

You will still have several weeks after you get your cert for the Sheriff's office and KSP to do their part as well.
Old 06-17-2009, 22:03   #3
Kentucky_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat_vet View Post
It usually averages about 4 weeks; however, due to the number of applicants and course attendee's thanks to the Obama Administration, I have no doubt they are inundated!

You will still have several weeks after you get your cert for the Sheriff's office and KSP to do their part as well.
thank you......thats kinda what i figured....
Old 06-18-2009, 06:30   #4
Berretta9

I talked to them a few weeks back and it was about 60 days
Berretta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:18   #5
EKUJustice

Ya mine was pretty quick but I have had my permit for quite a while. On the classes I have given it has been well over 4 weeks for the certificate
EKUJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:36   #6
Hero

Seems to be running really slow lately. When I got mine in '02, total turnaround time from attending the class to having the permit in my hand was 3 weeks.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:17   #7
Kentucky_Guy

UPDATE:

just got my certificate in the mail yesterday....

now i gotta go get a passport photo taken and go down to the sheriffs office........well, as soon as i get paid,LOL...
Old 06-21-2009, 19:07   #8
KYMike
9mm Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Guy View Post
UPDATE:

just got my certificate in the mail yesterday....

now i gotta go get a passport photo taken and go down to the sheriffs office........well, as soon as i get paid,LOL...
Honestly, I would just let the sheriff's office do the photo for you. Some sheriff's offices are notorious for finding SOMETHING wrong with any photo you bring in and making you let them redo it (for $10 or whatever they charge) anyway, so it's easiest to just let them do it in the first place. Saves you some time and paying for the photo twice. Just a thought....

Niners Club- #0101, 1911 Club- #0101,
GT Ham Shack- #101, Snubbie Club- #101
KYMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 19:10   #9
Kentucky_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMike View Post
Honestly, I would just let the sheriff's office do the photo for you. Some sheriff's offices are notorious for finding SOMETHING wrong with any photo you bring in and making you let them redo it (for $10 or whatever they charge) anyway, so it's easiest to just let them do it in the first place. Saves you some time and paying for the photo twice. Just a thought....
yeah, but the Fayette County sheriff doesnt take photos anymore, so im told.......so i guess i gotta go to Kinkos and get one made
Old 06-22-2009, 06:48   #10
Kona2004

I took my class on 4/4, received my certificate on 4/28, went to sheriff's office on 4/29 to fill out paperwork and get picture taken. I received my packet on 6/9 stating my permit was in.
Kona2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 18:10   #11
chris in va

I'll be honest, don't understand why the 'certificate' has to be mailed out. We got ours upon completion in VA, and the permit has to be issued no longer than 45 days.

And what's with this 6 month residency requirement?

So if you factor everything in, it takes about 9 months to get your permit here if you are a new resident. Totally unacceptable.
chris in va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 18:24   #12
Kentucky_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va View Post
I'll be honest, don't understand why the 'certificate' has to be mailed out. We got ours upon completion in VA, and the permit has to be issued no longer than 45 days.

So if you factor everything in, it takes about 9 months to get your permit here if you are a new resident. Totally unacceptable.

well, to be honest i dont know why you have to be "tested" at all....

the written test is an absolute joke....i mean, the test for drivers liscense is harder than the CCW one....

and the shooting test....LOL.....if you cant hit a man-size target at 7 yards, you dont need to be owning a gun in the first place
Old 06-28-2009, 20:18   #13
EKUJustice

Because some people have trouble passing the shooting test. I have seen people barely pass with the bare minimum 11 hits on the target, having to work with people to get them even hitting the target etc
Old 06-28-2009, 20:50   #14
Berretta9

I've had students who have almost failed one or the other. Never had anyone who came close on both though. The shooting more than you would think. No idea why, but some people will show up with an old POS snubbie revolver that they haven't shot in years.
Old 06-29-2009, 17:21   #15
EKUJustice

Some of the guns people bring out will scare you. RG 22 revolvers, NAA mini revolvers, jennings, ravens etc. I have even seen a 7.62 nagant revolver used in a class. There is also at least one man in every class who brings a tricked out 22 target pistol and proceeds to put a "group" that looks about like a shotgun pattern on his target then blames his sights or dot sight or his "rapid fire" which everyone shoots 1 shot at a time on the command lol. Then somone always brings out grandpas old gun in some obselete caliber with the box of cartridges that he had stored away since the Ok Corral. This gun is usually carried in some kind of an oil soaked dishtowl that looks like it rode to the range in their oil pan of their car. The of course is the tough guy of the group that brings the biggest cannon he can find in a caliber no smaller than 44 mag(usually larger though) and brags how hes gonna carry that gun and how powerful it is etc. Usually shoots like crap with the said cannon even in slow single action fire because hes flinching so bad from shooting that gun he would have no prayer of hitting anything in DA mode.
Old 06-29-2009, 17:33   #16
Berretta9

So it's just not me. I thought I just had bad luck. I swear I know the 22 guy, there must be a factory that makes them.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:31   #17
ursoboostd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKUJustice View Post
Some of the guns people bring out will scare you. RG 22 revolvers, NAA mini revolvers, jennings, ravens etc. I have even seen a 7.62 nagant revolver used in a class. There is also at least one man in every class who brings a tricked out 22 target pistol and proceeds to put a "group" that looks about like a shotgun pattern on his target then blames his sights or dot sight or his "rapid fire" which everyone shoots 1 shot at a time on the command lol. Then somone always brings out grandpas old gun in some obselete caliber with the box of cartridges that he had stored away since the Ok Corral. This gun is usually carried in some kind of an oil soaked dishtowl that looks like it rode to the range in their oil pan of their car. The of course is the tough guy of the group that brings the biggest cannon he can find in a caliber no smaller than 44 mag(usually larger though) and brags how hes gonna carry that gun and how powerful it is etc. Usually shoots like crap with the said cannon even in slow single action fire because hes flinching so bad from shooting that gun he would have no prayer of hitting anything in DA mode.
Funny stuff there. When I take my CCW, I think I'll take either my G23 or a S&W 38 airweight. -Wade-
ursoboostd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 17:58   #18
Berretta9

Bring the 23. Those Smith Airweights are going to make you work harder than you need to. Really a light gun to shoot 38plus P's out of. If you are in the Louisville area P/M me when you're ready.
Old 07-06-2009, 00:41   #19
chris in va

Adding to the thread, I got my certificate 5 days after taking the course. Class was in Louisville, residing in Bullitt County.
chris in va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:30   #20
GlockTitan

It was about 45-60 days, biggest inconveience was having to go down to the sheriffs office and sign for it, other than that, too EZ.

Sorry, the certificate was about 21 days. It depends upon how fast your instructor moves.......CCW was 45-60 days.
GlockTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:35   #21
GlockTitan

Oh yeah. And don't forgot, the State of Kentucky wants you to have a ccw. Be happy the class isn't as difficult as getting a drivers license.
I love Kentucky, can't wait to get back.
GlockTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:31   #22
Berretta9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockTitan View Post
It was about 45-60 days, biggest inconveience was having to go down to the sheriffs office and sign for it, other than that, too EZ.

Sorry, the certificate was about 21 days. It depends upon how fast your instructor moves.......CCW was 45-60 days.
It's not the instructor. He has only 5 days to send the paperwork in. It's how busy the Docjt is and how many people they have working on it. They usually quote at least 2 weeks to process. They must be getting caught up.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:39   #23
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va View Post

The certificare is now attached to instructions (used to be a big, light blue, suitable for framing document). It has come from the Dept. of Criminal justice Training in Richmond, KY since day one. An instructor must send in the application, money, class roster, and test sheets anyway so there is no sense to "hand out" a certificate after the course as it does not prove a single thing UNTIL the Ky Dept. of Treasury gets their $25 per applicant.

6 months residency is the same to obtain a hunting license in Kentucky. No big deal. If you have CCW in another state and move here, just carry it (Ky honors it) and wait until you've resided here for 6 months.

As a KY CDWL instructor for 9+ years, I find the process far from "totally unacceptabe."
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:41   #24
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berretta9 View Post
It's not the instructor. He has only 5 days to send the paperwork in.
100% correct.

Large class or small, mine goes into the mail the FIRST business following the course.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:05   #25
Terminator2

Interestingly, my instructor for the class at knob creek was VERY surprised with my grouping. He let me empty another 15 into the target just for fun. I was like, "I'm not great, you should see some of the guys I shoot with, that was nothing". I think everyone should have NO misses, and a decent group. Period. Just my 3c.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote