Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:57   #1
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Pidgin/Adium/Kopete/Trillian/etc. and Yahoo

Lots of issues w/ this.... For those that use one of the many multi-protocol programs to access yahoo, this started popping up last night... I didn't have a problem till this morning. There's a fairly easy fix.

The below works for Pidgin, and I helped someone adapt it to Adium this morning, but I can't give specific instructions on how to do it w/ any program, but Pidgin, so you'll just have to adapt and overcome if you don't use Pidgin.

In your buddy list,

Accounts/Manage Accounts

Click your Yahoo account, and click "Modify"

Click the "Advanced" tab

Change "Pager Server" to s101.msg.mud.yahoo.com

Note: It may not be Pager server in your respective program, Adium calls it Login Server, but you're looking for this line scs.msg.yahoo.com

Save your changes and restart the program.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 06-19-2009 at 08:00..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:49   #2
MavsX
The Dude Abides

i used to be a big trillian backer about 4 years ago. i have since stopped IMing..but when i did IM, i only used trillian. that ***** is HOTT
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:05   #3
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX View Post
i used to be a big trillian backer about 4 years ago. i have since stopped IMing..but when i did IM, i only used trillian. that ***** is HOTT
I keep in touch w/ a lot of friends via IM... unfortunately, none of them can decide on one service to use...lol. So Multi-protocol is the only way to go for me. I always used Trillian under Windoze, then found out about GAIM, and started using it.. Then when GAIM became Pidgin, I kept on using Pidgin, and use it on any OS I use.

One thing about Pidgin, the sound pack is absolutely atrocious. I took the event sounds from Trillian, saved them w/ my backup, and plug them into Pidgin.

IGF
Old 06-19-2009, 10:18   #4
Jtemple
Geek

For multi-protocol IM, I like Miranda IM Portable. It is very customizable, and very lean. The setup can be a bit overwhelming for some, though.

Personally, I have a hacked version of Google Talk, made portable. That's all I use. If someone wants to talk to me, get on Google Talk, or don't talk to me. That's what I tell them. I got sick of managing multiple accounts.
Jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:20   #5
ron59
Bustin Caps

I used Pidgin for awhile here at work, but had to give it up as I couldn't so a "broadcast" IM. I've had multiple occurences of needing to say "Hey! Who's using xxx database right now?" or something, needing urgent responses (email response too slow). You can't do that in Pidgin OR Trillian, so I'm back to using Live Messenger. Not so bad if you run that patch that removes the advertising and stuff.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:40   #6
BrushyBill

Both Adium and Pidgin were updated recently to fix the Yahoo server upgrade issue that was causing the recent Y! connection failures. Works fine now after upgrading.
BrushyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:07   #7
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushyBill View Post
Both Adium and Pidgin were updated recently to fix the Yahoo server upgrade issue that was causing the recent Y! connection failures. Works fine now after upgrading.
Yup.... Initially if you went to Pidgin Support, they weren't going to fix it until 2.6.0 came out. Presumably, since Adium is based on Pidgin, it would have been the same way. I guess it became such a problem, they came out w/ 2.5.6 to fix the problem.

Yay for open source.

IGF