SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:18   #1
ARs&AKs
NRA Life Member

New Outlook/Express Update is a Virus

Received an update for MS Outlook and Outlook Express today and after checking, found it's a virus. It looks like it was sent from Microsoft but knowing they haven't updated either of these programs for a long time set off my BS meter.

Fake Microsoft Outlook update contains virus for ID theft

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Spam email purporting to be a "critical update" for Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express contains a link to download a malicious program that can steal personal information from a user's computer, including login credentials and credit card information, Trend Micro reported Monday.

The spammers use legitimate links to Microsoft sites in the email body to make the email appear genuine, but a link appearing to direct users to a Microsoft site for the "update" actually downloads a Trojan horse called ZBot.

ZBot accesses a website to download information directing the virus to monitor certain websites and where to send stolen data, the security firm's blog said.

Web security researchers discovered that the Trojan monitors websites of banking institutions and social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace. If a user accesses any of these website, the Trojan logs keystrokes to steal the user's passwords and other sensitive information such as credit card numbers.

Recently, phishing emails have been circulating that appear to come from Microsoft and ask recipients to reconfigure their Outlook account by clicking on a link to a website where users are asked to fill in their account information, including their mail server address.
ARs&AKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:02   #2
grokdesigns

You would never get a notice via email that a Microsoft update was available.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
grokdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:40   #3
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokdesigns View Post
You would never get a notice via email that a Microsoft update was available.
+1 ... there are a few software companies that are willing to notify users about updates but M$ isn't one of them.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:45   #4
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
I set the MS auto updater for auto download but for manual installs.

An aside: I examine the list and rejected IE8, many folks I know have had there PCs crash under Vista and IE8.
Old 06-24-2009, 17:30   #5
JimmyN

One of my mail accounts got two of those a day for three days, so I created a filter and now they have been going in the trash on arrival.

Not only does MS not send out update notices, clue #2 was the email link they provided. Hovering over the 'update.microsoft.com' link would show in the status bar that you were actually going to 'update.microsoft.com.il1if1.com.mx'

Quote:
Domain Name: il1if1.com.mx (Mexico)

Created On: 08-jun-2009
Expiration Date: 07-jun-2010
Last Updated On: 15-jun-2009
Registrar: InterPlanet, S.A. de C.V.
URL: http://www.suempresa.com

Registered to;
Name: Dorothy Sterrett
City: St. Charles
State: Montana

Checking the email header shows the return path;
'pulverizingvp at sherritt-intl.com'

Sender - 'torssp003.sherritt-intl.com' (201.34.228.246, a Brasil Telecom address)
to - 'gnace703.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br' (at the same 201.34.228.246 address)
and from there came to me.

Thunderbird had already labeled it as a possible email scam as well.
Old 06-24-2009, 18:26   #6
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyN View Post
One of my mail accounts got two of those a day for three days, so I created a filter and now they have been going in the trash on arrival.
I have setup filters on all of my e-mail accounts (excluding my business account) that deletes everything received from senders not listed in my address book.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Old 06-24-2009, 21:36   #7
nitrowolf_67

Send a message via Yahoo to nitrowolf_67
thanks for the info

nitrowolf_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 00:53   #8
ronterry
ERB#1

WTF? You guys still using XP or something. I done forgot what XP looks like! Is that the Windows version that has the word 'Start' for the start menu? Get with it man, Windows 7 RC1 has been out for a month now! Meaning Vista is already showing it's age!
When Windows 7 is released, support for XP's days are numbered - so plan ahead...
Old 06-25-2009, 06:25   #9
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronterry View Post
...When Windows 7 is released, support for XP's days are numbered - so plan ahead...
Microsloth scheduled XP's sunset some time ago. It had nothing to do with the release of Win7.

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Tennessee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:28   #10
MavsX
The Dude Abides

doh .
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:57   #11
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzer View Post
I set the MS auto updater for auto download but for manual installs.
There are reports of M$ forcing updates on users that had auto updates turned OFF in the past and more recently both Windows XP and Vista have been downloading updates EVEN if a user has Automatic Updates configured to "download updates but don't install them" or "notify me but don't install them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzer View Post
An aside: I examine the list and rejected IE8, many folks I know have had there PCs crash under Vista and IE8.
Toolkit to disable automatic delivery of Internet Explorer 8 provided by M$ ...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Also from M$ a toolkit to block the automatic delivery of service pack 3 ...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Old 06-25-2009, 08:48   #12
ARs&AKs
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronterry View Post
WTF? You guys still using XP or something. I done forgot what XP looks like! Is that the Windows version that has the word 'Start' for the start menu? Get with it man, Windows 7 RC1 has been out for a month now! Meaning Vista is already showing it's age!
When Windows 7 is released, support for XP's days are numbered - so plan ahead...
Oh, you're talking about Windows XP, the most stable Windows platform of the last decade? Yeah, me and MILLIONS of people still use it and never "upgraded" to Vista.
ARs&AKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:48   #13
Toyman

It contains subject lines like the following:

Install Critical Update for Microsoft Outlook
Update for Microsoft Outlook
Install Update for Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft Outlook Critical Update
Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Outlook
Old 06-25-2009, 21:19   #14
ronterry
ERB#1

Having experienced both, Vista is superior in every way.
Now I completely understand that hardware can dictate the OS. Heck I tried Server 2K8 on a few of my servers, and they where completely unusable so there back to running 2K3 till they die.
Windows 7 is what Vista should of been so if your running XP, your experience with upgrading to Windows 7 in the future should put a smile on you face.

Macs suck in every way!!! I'm sure we agree on that
Old 06-26-2009, 09:43   #15
solomansousana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
I have setup filters on all of my e-mail accounts (excluding my business account) that deletes everything received from senders not listed in my address book.
+5

I do exactly the same thing, except my cable provider allows online viewing of email, and they scan all mail 3 times before their members ever see it.

I too created an online filter that directs all incoming mail to the trash bin except for those on my accepted senders list.

When I give out my email addy to someone, I make sure I add their addy to my accepted list. I still have all pictures, links, activex, and html inside email removed. All I get is plain text, unless I choose to accept additional info.