Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-01-2009, 15:19   #1
Tweek's Turbos

Permit in NY to buy ammo?

I was home the past weekend, and went to the Wal-mart in East Syracuse. I asked to buy a box of .45 and when rung up, was told I needed a permit to buy ammo?

Is this for real? I showed my UT and VA and was sold the stuff, but I have never heard of anything so silly.
Tweek's Turbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 16:01   #2
moga

That's NYS for you. LE can arrest you for possession of one round of ammo on your person unless you have a permit too.

I avoid Syracuse like the plague. Yuk! Friends and family live there but I can't bring myself to return after tasting the life that one can have in free America.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
since 2007.
moga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 15:19   #3
Tweek's Turbos

That is soo stupid, but reminds me of a story. A buddy is an ATF nearby, and sent his younger bro to buy some rounds with his own money so they could plink in the back 40. They wouldn't sell to him and the ATF buddy had no idea why.
Old 07-02-2009, 22:14   #4
dk148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
I was home the past weekend, and went to the Wal-mart in East Syracuse. I asked to buy a box of .45 and when rung up, was told I needed a permit to buy ammo?

Is this for real? I showed my UT and VA and was sold the stuff, but I have never heard of anything so silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moga View Post
That's NYS for you. LE can arrest you for possession of one round of ammo on your person unless you have a permit too.

I avoid Syracuse like the plague. Yuk! Friends and family live there but I can't bring myself to return after tasting the life that one can have in free America.
When the hell did this happen?

I only left 5 years ago, and I didn't need a permit to buy ammo.

I remember the guy who owned the Oak Beach Inn used to have those billboard trucks drive around with "Get out of NY before it's too late" signs. Well guess what it's too late.
Old 07-03-2009, 18:05   #5
moga

dk148, did you buy pistol ammo without a permit? As far as I know, this has been law since I've been involved in the movement, circa 1990 or so. Rifle ammo may be a different story. IDK.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
since 2007.
Old 07-03-2009, 18:11   #6
BLACKMAGICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk148 View Post

I remember the guy who owned the Oak Beach Inn used to have those billboard trucks drive around with "Get out of NY before it's too late" signs. Well guess what it's too late.
The OBI, now there's some memories...I took his advice.
BLACKMAGICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 18:25   #7
Cody Jarrett

Quote:

Absolutely wrong. I teach the NYS penal law and there is no law prohibiting the possession of ammunition other than armor piercing.

Last edited by Cody Jarrett; 07-03-2009 at 18:30..
Cody Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 18:27   #8
Cody Jarrett

Quote:

NYS PL270.00(4) prohibits the sale of "pistol specific" ammo to anyone without a license. Wally world pushes this to the max but most sporting goods stores don't as many calibers have application in pistol or rifle.
Old 07-03-2009, 18:30   #9
Cody Jarrett

Quote:

Not to worry DK, it's a little overstated. The law hasn't changed since you left. Just most stores don't really care to bother you. Those laws were in the penal law in 2004 as well.
Old 07-03-2009, 19:10   #10
dk148

Quote:
dk148, did you buy pistol ammo without a permit? As far as I know, this has been law since I've been involved in the movement, circa 1990 or so. Rifle ammo may be a different story. IDK.
I was buying 9mm for an HK94. I did not have a pistol permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKMAGICK View Post
The OBI, now there's some memories...I took his advice.
So did I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Jarrett View Post
Not to worry DK, it's a little overstated. The law hasn't changed since you left. Just most stores don't really care to bother you. Those laws were in the penal law in 2004 as well.
Since moving from NY, I got myself a CCW in VA and an FFL!

I don't even like going to visit the wife's relatives in NY (to be fair I wouldn't like visiting them if the live some where else either). And my brother inlaws dad moved down to VA and opened up a real pizza place. Now there is even one less reason to go back.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:06   #11
moga

Quote:
Absolutely wrong. I teach the NYS penal law and there is no law prohibiting the possession of ammunition other than armor piercing.

NYS PL270.00(4) prohibits the sale of "pistol specific" ammo to anyone without a license. Wally world pushes this to the max but most sporting goods stores don't as many calibers have application in pistol or rifle.
I did not intend to imply that any type of ammunition is prohibited. Just that if you don't have a permit and your found with ammo on you that you'd be arrested. Why would a person without a permit have ammunition on their person unless they skirted NYS PL270.00(4)? Strangely, you've been nice enough to supply the appropriate code section that would support this assertion right after you dinged my comment as being a falsehood.

?

What ever. I'm certainly not an expert on NYS Penal Code and since I don't live in NYS any longer I really don't worry about such nanny state matters.
since 2007.

Last edited by moga; 07-04-2009 at 09:11.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-04-2009, 11:14   #12
Tweek's Turbos

Quote:
And my brother inlaws dad moved down to VA and opened up a real pizza place. Now there is even one less reason to go back.
Where,? I usually make my own with fresh dough from Wegmans up here in Fairfax.

Quote:
So I take it my VA and UT was sufficient, or should the clerk have insisted I needed a NY specific one? The whole thing caught me completely off guard.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:47   #13
dk148

Quote:
Where,? I usually make my own with fresh dough from Wegmans up here in Fairfax.
He is actually in a weird spot. He is in an industrial park in Fredericksburg. The Bowman center to be exact, opens at 10:00am closes at 7:00pm. But he makes the real deal, even has pizza pops and garlic knots every day.
Old 07-20-2009, 18:47   #14
mjs3350

It's a Walmart policy, which can get even more strict depending on which one you go to. I'm from the Central Square area, and to buy pistol ammo at that Walmart, you had to have a permit with that caliber pistol tied to your permit.

For example, you need to have the pistol permit, AND have a 9mm pistol on that permit to purchase 9mm rounds.
mjs3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 18:49   #15
mjs3350

Quote:
I did not intend to imply that any type of ammunition is prohibited. Just that if you don't have a permit and your found with ammo on you that you'd be arrested. Why would a person without a permit have ammunition on their person unless they skirted NYS PL270.00(4)? Strangely, you've been nice enough to supply the appropriate code section that would support this assertion right after you dinged my comment as being a falsehood.

?

What ever. I'm certainly not an expert on NYS Penal Code and since I don't live in NYS any longer I really don't worry about such nanny state matters.
You can legally shoot many "pistol" calibers out of long guns without a permit, though.
mjs3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 19:13   #16
Cody Jarrett

Quote:

?

Didn't mean to be nit-picky. Unfortunately I have to teach this stuff.

PL 270.00(4) allows for the sale of ALL ammunition regardless of type while PL 270.00(5) limits the SALE not POSSESSION of pistol specific ammo. The person in trouble is the dealer (seller) not the purchaser. Now pistol specific ammo includes ammo that can only be fired in a pistol. If the ammo can also be fired in any rifle or long gun, the sale is not considered illegal. So if you have a rifle that shoots .38 cal and a pistol that shoots .38 cal the purchase is legal without a license. Some dealers ask to see a manual for the rifle as proof (Walmart) - that's a little bit much. However, there is nothing in the law that prohibits the mere possession of pistol specific ammo. A quick check of NY caselaw will further show that no one has ever been convicted for the possession of pistol ammo as there is no criminal statute preventing its possession. I looked back as far as 1906.

What I do find bad is that every year I go to the gun show in Middletown, NY where I watch gang-bangers buying .45 cal ammo by the thousand round case directly under the nose of the NYS Troopers. When questioned they tell me they're powerless to stop it.

I don't know where your from but as far as a "nanny state" you need to check a little closer. In NY we legally carry concealed in bars, restaurants, public transportation, buses, trains, parks, city limits, municiple buildings, hospitals and pretty much anywhere else... unmolested. We're not required to advise a LEO we're carrying when pulled over and I've never seen a sign prohibiting the carry of a weapon in twenty years of shooting.

Can't compare this to NY City though. In the city the treat you like a criminal for owning a BB gun.

Last edited by Cody Jarrett; 07-20-2009 at 19:16..