Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-08-2009, 13:06   #1
craig_o
CLM Number 288
see ya

Dell PSU upgrade

redacted

When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence.

Last edited by craig_o; 04-19-2012 at 00:26..
craig_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 13:09   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I'm not familiar w/ that model Dell...

Wasn't there an issue w/ some of the older model Dells, where they were using a proprietary connection for their power supplies? They weren't normal ATX connections, so you had to buy them from Dell...

Sounds like you have a newer model, so I doubt that is the case now days. I do however, remember reading about this. If you know you have a "normal" power supply, then the only suggestion I can make, is get the best Antec you can afford.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 14:43   #3
arcanetripwire
I'm 10-8

While Antec makes good solid PSU's, I would suggest going with a good modular Corsair. I suggest the Corsair HX520 or higher. That 520 will easily handle a 260, and it's modular which is an absolute requirement for me when I build a machine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139001
arcanetripwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 15:44   #4
StarvinMarvin

I'm assuming you are talking about getting an Nvidia GTX 260 ?, which is a great card by the way.

Yes, I would recommend more juice then your dell 375W PSU. As best I can tell from various sources that model Dell (XPS 410) does in fact use a standard ATX PSU. It also appears to be mostly tooless on the inside and would be easy to upgrade.

What arcanetripwire recommends is a solid PSU but you can get it at zipzoomfly and use ebillme and bring the price down a bit.CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX after MIR and ebillme = $54.99

If you don't want to jump through all the hoops involved in rebates and ebillme consider this psu - Antec EA500 Its a sold PSU and has the requisite 2xPCIe 6 pin connectors you will need for a GTX260. (I personally have the 430 watt earthwatts in my rig)
StarvinMarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 16:12   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanetripwire View Post
While Antec makes good solid PSU's, I would suggest going with a good modular Corsair. I suggest the Corsair HX520 or higher. That 520 will easily handle a 260, and it's modular which is an absolute requirement for me when I build a machine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139001
Antec makes a modular... I've used a modular from Thermaltake before. They are very nice.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 17:05   #6
zodiacbw

Thermaltake, Antec, Corsair, all good PSUs, I use Enermax myself. As IndyGunFreak said be sure to double check that it isn't using a different pinout for the 24-pin connector, quick google search would probably answer that. Depending on the case, you might have to take a Dremel to the back to clear the vents or power connector. Just be sure you have good airflow, video cards get hot.
Old 07-08-2009, 17:51   #7
g29andy
CLM Number 197
Charter Lifetime Member

Going through this now, 7 year old Dell P4 box died, think its the PS. I picked up a Thermaltake 350w to replace the OEM 250w from a local best buy, but the old mobo uses a 20 pin connector, so now I gotta wait until Newegg ships me an $1.99 adapter.

If a new PS doesn't fix it, I may try my hand at building a PC, eyeing some parts on Newegg that comes to around $580 with shipping.
Old 07-11-2009, 16:12   #8
g29andy
CLM Number 197
Charter Lifetime Member

Well, it wasn't the PS, or RAM seating. Think the MOBO is dead.

Looks like I'll be wading into Vista land, at least the 64 bit version. Snagged a Dell refurbished box for cheaper than I can build.
Old 07-13-2009, 15:29   #9
g29andy
CLM Number 197
Charter Lifetime Member

Well it wasn't the MOBO either. The video card had died, for some reason it wouldn't let the HD spin up to boot. After putting in a old crappy FX 5200 card, we're up and running. The broke 7600GS card (yeah, still in AGP land) has a couple of capacitors? split open. I think I'll keep the new PSU installed anyway.

Anyway, it was a good kick in the ass to get a new box. We'll see how a Core i7 and 64 bit Vista runs next week. Plan to set up the old box to dual boot XP and Jaunty like my laptops.