Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:01   #21
JERRYB

Wall-mart ammo

You guys don't know how lucky you are. I live in the "restricted" state of New Jersey. Among the many gun & ammo restrictions here, WM does not sell ANY ammo, nor ANY guns! I get envious every time that I read a posting about readily available (and low price) ammo for sale at WM in the more enlightened states.
JERRYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:18   #22
JERRYB

'Just curious: When you buy ammo at WM, (or anywhere else for that matter) what kind of ID are you required to show?
Here in New Jersey, WM does not sell ammo and in order to buy ammo from a gun shop, we are required to show our NJ Firearms Purchaser IDENTIFICATION CARD.
For some reason, the dealer is required to enter your ammo purchase into a database. ... I think that the primary reason is to discourage law abiding citizens from buying ammo by making it intrusive.
Old 08-16-2009, 22:00   #23
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYB View Post
'Just curious: When you buy ammo at WM, (or anywhere else for that matter) what kind of ID are you required to show?

Well, I have raised a few eyebrows when I bought several to many cases at once (5,500 rds per case)..

..but other than that it is..

.. "Here is your change & Have a nice day"!

For me in my AO(s)..

..buying ammo is like buying groceries..

..really glad I do not live in areas where you are treated like a criminal!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 08-16-2009 at 22:03..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 18:20   #24
chester

Quote:
Here in New Jersey, WM does not sell ammo and in order to buy ammo from a gun shop, we are required to show our NJ Firearms Purchaser IDENTIFICATION CARD. For some reason, the dealer is required to enter your ammo purchase into a database. ... I think that the primary reason is to discourage law abiding citizens from buying ammo by making it intrusive.
In good old Missouri no special ID necessary as long as you are over 21 for handgun ammo. A friend of mine just spent over $1,200 at a local Walmart and he did not clean out the shelves. He bought mostly 45, 38, and 223. He also was planning on sharing it with some fellow shooters so please don't accuse him of driving up prices. The salesclerk had to help him load it all in carts and did not even bat an eye. Personally I don't buy ammo at the local Wal-marts because they never seem to have what I want. This was true back in the good old days (last year). as well as now.
I do live about five minutes from Midway USA and check their site frequently. I have been able to stay well supplied using the internet and a few local sources during the last year.
chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 21:03   #25
JERRYB

Interesting that you mention Midway USA. A few days ago, their web site offered Federal America Eagle 9mm at a decent price. When I attempted to buy 1,000 rounds, the first thing that happened was a message, limiting quantity to 4 boxes (200 rounds). OK I thought, what the Hell, I'll accumulate another 200 rounds and keep on looking elsewhere for more. When I tried repeatedly to check-out, it kept rejecting my order.

I sent them an Email, asking why they spend money advertising on "Guns 'n' Ammo TV", in Hand Guns magazine, American Rifleman, etc. if they don't want to sell me any ammo. ... To their credit, they actually responded. In essence they said that New Jersey is a "restricted" state, and before they can sell me any ammo, I must mail or Fax them a copy of my NJ Firearms Purchase Identification Card, which I did. ... However, by the time they answered and said they would keep my ID Card on file and that I could now complete my order for 200 rounds, I had already purchased 2,000 rounds at a different web site, so I didn't bother to complete the transaction with Midway USA. ... I have previously bought thousands of rounds on line from a variety of different dealers. Not one of them asked me for any NJ ID. ... Interesting story, yes?

Last edited by JERRYB; 08-17-2009 at 21:07..
Old 08-23-2009, 09:47   #26
sigpro357

You can't blame Midway. NJ has made increasingly more and more difficult for it's citizens to enjoy their guarnteed rights. If Midway had an issue with NJ I can bet the prosecutors and attorneys wouldn't turn a blind eye or use common sense. They'd attempt to bury Midway. It's just too much risk for little return.
sigpro357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 17:02   #27
txgunguy

Quote:
Interesting that you mention Midway USA. A few days ago, their web site offered Federal America Eagle 9mm at a decent price. When I attempted to buy 1,000 rounds, the first thing that happened was a message, limiting quantity to 4 boxes (200 rounds). OK I thought, what the Hell, I'll accumulate another 200 rounds and keep on looking elsewhere for more. When I tried repeatedly to check-out, it kept rejecting my order.

I sent them an Email, asking why they spend money advertising on "Guns 'n' Ammo TV", in Hand Guns magazine, American Rifleman, etc. if they don't want to sell me any ammo. ... To their credit, they actually responded. In essence they said that New Jersey is a "restricted" state, and before they can sell me any ammo, I must mail or Fax them a copy of my NJ Firearms Purchase Identification Card, which I did. ... However, by the time they answered and said they would keep my ID Card on file and that I could now complete my order for 200 rounds, I had already purchased 2,000 rounds at a different web site, so I didn't bother to complete the transaction with Midway USA. ... I have previously bought thousands of rounds on line from a variety of different dealers. Not one of them asked me for any NJ ID. ... Interesting story, yes?
Sounds like Midway is just following the laws your awful state has set. Be mad at NJ laws, not Midway for following them.
Old 09-10-2009, 00:09   #28
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockaholic View Post
Here is the new Federal "Value Pack" currently at my local Walmart selling for $11+.

Rimfire Forum
I started seeing these 375 packs at one of my local stores last week, so I guess they will be replacing the old 550 packs as jsm190 said, above.

Neither store has had the Winchester on the shelf in the last month or so, in EITHER size. It's possible that they are getting it in, and I'm just missing it, but other calibers are beginning to accumulate on the shelves instead of running completely out between shipments...
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:53   #29
Regular Joe

I live in Las Vegas, and we haven't had ANY .22LR in months. I had to drive over to Pahrump, where prostitution is still legal, to find 6 of those "new" 375 round boxes. In my 10/.22's, they are a bit less accurate than Rem. GB's or Fed. automatch, and they have a high percentage of weak loads. They do cycle the action almost all of the time though, so they keep me from further depleting my Rem. stock.
I would dearly love to find a "hyper" load with 40 gr. bullets that doesn't cost like the Velocitors. At 12 cents each, I may as well get a rifle that shoots .22 Mag.
The Walmarts around here have also had plenty of 12 ga. Several times now, I've stocked 12 ga. just to keep a visit from being for nothing. On the last trip, I found that they have begun to stock a new kind of heavy duty fanny pack, under the Remington name. These things have a 1.5" belt, and are just the right size to carry 100 rounds of 12 ga. ammo. IMO, that's the most intelligent way for me to package my ammo reserves. There is another heavy duty fanny pack that Walmart has had for some time, under the "Outdoor Products" label. Those are just the right size to pack either 500 rounds of 9mm or 1,100 to 1,300 rounds of .22 LR. In the front pocket of each pack, I put extra mags, and at least one Bic lighter. Keep in mind that if TSHTF, the ability to make fire can be as advantageous as the ability to return fire...
Regular Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 18:45   #30
Matt VDW

Isn't there a market for 40 grain, round nose, standard velocity .22 LR ammo? All I see in the stores is the high velocity stuff, usually copper-washed and/or hollow-pointed.
Matt VDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 19:09   #31
CCCPsoldier

Send a message via AIM to CCCPsoldier Send a message via Yahoo to CCCPsoldier
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpro357 View Post
You can't blame Midway. NJ has made increasingly more and more difficult for it's citizens to enjoy their guarnteed rights. If Midway had an issue with NJ I can bet the prosecutors and attorneys wouldn't turn a blind eye or use common sense. They'd attempt to bury Midway. It's just too much risk for little return.
there is no such law here in nj that disallows you to order ammo.it shouldn't be any different than shipping to any other state.even nj state police have stated mail ordering ammunition isn't illegal.recently i've ordered 4 boxes of ammo from midway with no issues.

"Only my mosin nagants understand me!" -CCCPsoldier
CCCPsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 20:47   #32
Fanner50
NRA Endowment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
I've seen and used the Winchester 333 bulk-packs, but yesterday was the first time I'd seen these:

Rimfire Forum

May be old news to some, but I've been in 4 different Walmarts in the last week, and only one of them had these. Anyone tried these yet? I only bought a couple of the Win 333s before they disappeared, mostly for plinking, so I haven't done any rigorous testing or anything.

Price was $15.97.

Check your local Academy Sports and Outdoors. They sell the Winchester 333's and 555's too. They work great in my 10/22's.
Old 02-02-2010, 16:47   #33
DriBak
GUNS UP

I just picked up 2, 15.97 + tax. Anything has got to be better than the Remington 550 bulk crap
Old 02-02-2010, 18:10   #34
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

You used to be able to buy it in 555 packs at Kmart like 10 years ago. I burned through quite a lot of it during my .22 rifle phase. If I remember correctly they were a copper washed bullet, and were bulk packed in silver and black boxes.

It made me think they were super x rejects.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 18:41   #35
diode

Quote:
Here in New Jersey, WM does not sell ammo and in order to buy ammo from a gun shop, we are required to show our NJ Firearms Purchaser IDENTIFICATION CARD.
For some reason, the dealer is required to enter your ammo purchase into a database. ... I think that the primary reason is to discourage law abiding citizens from buying ammo by making it intrusive.
Yep! it sucks to live on the left or right coast. Sorry for your luck, just like is mentioned on other forums, you could always move to a more 'gun friendly state'
Old 02-02-2010, 18:58   #36
Havasu

The local Wally World here on the Colorado River never has the same stock of ammo 2 days in a row. Inventory is so sketchy, they limit you to 3 boxes per purchase. We have some fun laws, though. You can buy rifle ammo at 18, but handgun ammo buyers must be 21, so when you ask for .22 ammo the clerk asks you what kind of gun you're going to use it in.
Havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:07   #37
Chuckles

Quote:
Here in SW Washington, which is much is very diffirent than Seattle when it comes to attitudes towards guns, the cashier is required to check id if they think the buyer is under 30sh. With me, the Bi-mart cahiers knows me very well and after seeing my id a couple of times, they don't even raise an eyebrow when I buy 5K of Federal .22LR. Actually, they never bat an eye when anybody else buys 5K of ammunition unless the shelf stock is getting low or you're buying Remmington Thunderbolts
Old 02-05-2010, 08:30   #38
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief4 View Post
i havn't seen any of that ammo before.

hell, the only ammo at the walmarts near me are .22shorts and .32

Heh...Similar experience at my Wally World. I wound up with a box of Federal 9mm's and a couple of boxes of CCI CB shorts, just for the halibut.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:25   #39
unit1069

My local Wal-Mart has different size bulk packs in stock, depending when I go there.

Sometimes it's 333 in Federal and Remington and sometimes it's the 550 Federal and 555 Remington or whatever.

FWIW, I've had better luck with Federal bulk ammo in that I've had fewer misfires than with Winchester or Remington.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:33   #40
trob
10 rd max

have not seen the 555 count. thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
trob is offline   Reply With Quote