Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-26-2009, 20:00   #1
phx223

help with MD state car inspection

Just moved here, and I have to get my car inspected, just trying to see what a fair price would be for a passanger car. don't want to get taken to the cleaners on this one.
phx223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 13:38   #2
Grey_Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx223 View Post
Just moved here, and I have to get my car inspected, just trying to see what a fair price would be for a passanger car. don't want to get taken to the cleaners on this one.
I'm not sure, but I think the state mandates the price of the state inspection.
And the place that does the inspection is prohibited from doing any work on your car, so they have no motive to fake the inspection to make extra profit.

That said, wait as long as you can to register your car in Maryland. The taxes for bringing an out-of-state car in are crazy (essentially, you re-pay the sales tax to Maryland). Get the car inspected in your home/previous state if you can.
Old 08-27-2009, 13:53   #3
ND40oz

It's been a few years, but I want to say last time I had it done, it was around $150 at an independent.
ND40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 00:38   #4
phx223

I hear you on that but I have to get it registered here, I am using the VA to pay for school here and they only cover instate rates(getting my DL and reg car are two of the requirements to become a resident). The inspection cost me 65 dollars and the taxes are going to be over a grand, plus 90 dollars for my DL and nearly 200 said and done for the plates, plus I have no clue if I have to get emissions done (its a 2008 civic, non hybrid), but even with out that I am going to be paying 1300 dollars to drive in the DC metro area, the worst traffic system I have ever seen...

Maybe I will get lucky and not have to pay the taxes as my car is a lease, I guess that just puts off the taxes for a while though.
phx223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:00   #5
MdMike

Md will get the taxes, they always do....As for emissions, you will probably get a notice to have that done within a few months of registering it in Md.

As for inspection...I had a Mustang inspected August of 2008. It was $75 and needed about $50 worth of work. The garage that inspected the vehicle can make the repairs if you trust them to do so. I did the work myself then returned within the 30 days for the inspection certificate.

As for the fees the state is a rip off...They increased registration a few years back to support the state run Emergency Medical Services ( Trauma Centers, helicopters etc...). So much for that. Most of the MSP helicopters were removed from service after the crash in PG county last year that killed 3 people (crew and one patient).

I guess with the re-vamp of the aire transport system we will be paying even more $$$ in fees!!

Last edited by MdMike; 09-06-2009 at 06:05..
MdMike is offline   Reply With Quote