Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2010, 16:44   #1
Billy_Ray

Failure to feed - need to troubleshoot

I went to the range today with some reloads. I had a failure to feed with the last round of the first clip. The round partially loaded, starting up the ramp and teh slide locked open. The gun is a Gen3 Glock 17, the gun was relatively clean (cleaned about 50 rounds earlier).

My reload are as follows:
9 mm
Montana Gold - 124 grain bullet
Powder - HS-6, 6.4 grains
Primer - Wolf, SPP
OAL - 1.13'

Any thoughts on what caused this? Also I have heard some people load their rounds longer in order to improve feeding reliability (1.15"). Can anyone comment on weather a longer OAL improves feeding reliability and how to adjust powder charge for longer cartridges.

By the way my reloads were very accurate.

Thanks,
Billy Ray
Billy_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 17:04   #2
robin303
Helicopter Nut

I set my OAL for all my reloads at 1.130. In fact it happened to me at the range today and I just figured it could be just the mag with a weak spring on my last round.
Old 02-09-2010, 17:18   #3
Hydraulicman

Send a message via AIM to Hydraulicman
how many rounds of this load have you fired in the past?

Could have been a bad case.
Old 02-09-2010, 18:09   #4
fredj338

Same mag, same failure? It's likely the mag. Is that a TC or RN? Was the failure to feed a stovepipe or nose down? If it was one rounds, could be anything.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 18:13   #5
fredj338

Your OAL could be a bit long depending on bullet style. Hogdon has your load on the light side.
125 GR. SIE FMJ Hodgdon HS-6 .355" 1.090" 6.4 1131 25,600 CUP 6.8 1169 27,100 CUP
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 02-09-2010, 18:27   #6
Billy_Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulicman View Post
how many rounds of this load have you fired in the past?

Could have been a bad case.
I have fired a total of 100 rounds of this load. I agree it could have been the case, but how do I check for that in the future?

Thanks for your help,
Billy Ray
Old 02-09-2010, 18:28   #7
Billy_Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Same mag, same failure? It's likely the mag. Is that a TC or RN? Was the failure to feed a stovepipe or nose down? If it was one rounds, could be anything.
The bullet is a FMJ. The round was jammed against the feed ramp, about half out of the magazine, when the slide locked open.
Old 02-09-2010, 21:26   #8
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Ray View Post
The bullet is a FMJ. The round was jammed against the feed ramp, about half out of the magazine, when the slide locked open.
One round, one time, probably an anomoly, but I would mark that mag & see if it repeats. COuld be time for a new mag/spring.
Old 02-09-2010, 22:45   #9
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Ray View Post
I have fired a total of 100 rounds of this load. I agree it could have been the case, but how do I check for that in the future?

Thanks for your help,
Billy Ray
Get a case gauge. This is why I like to case gauge my ammo. You never know if it's the gun or the ammo if you don't case gauge. Or just live with the occasional hiccup. For what it's worth. 1.130 and that exact bullet in my gun feed fine. All the time. Like was mentioned if your load is on the light side you might want to bump it up to a mid range load. Thats the likely issue more then anything.

50rds is clean. Really clean in my book.
Old 02-09-2010, 22:51   #10
thorn137
Walther

I see nothing wrong with your recipe; my guess is something wrong with that particular round, or a gun/mag issue. As Colorado pointed out - if you don't have a gauge, get one.
Every round of 9mm I make goes through a gauge. Once you know the round is "perfect" in terms of its shape, then the problem is more likely mag/gun.

thorn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
thorn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 13:27   #11
Sheep

just a thought here- you say it was at 'slide lock'- Could you have pushed the slide lock release up with you hand??

I had some some .40 rounds in my G22 that did not have enough crimp. they would go maybe 1/2 way into battery, but the gun was not at 'slide lock'.
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 18:21   #12
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn137 View Post
I see nothing wrong with your recipe; my guess is something wrong with that particular round, or a gun/mag issue. As Colorado pointed out - if you don't have a gauge, get one.
Every round of 9mm I make goes through a gauge. Once you know the round is "perfect" in terms of its shape, then the problem is more likely mag/gun.

thorn
The only thing wrong w/ a case gage is it doen't have a rifled bbl attached to it. So you still need to use your bbl. to make sure the bullet does NOT seat into the rifling. The case gage will tell you if your rounds are the correct OD for the min. chamber but do not address OAL well.