BOB_HOWARD_13

Question answered, thread closed.

Thanks guys!
BOB_HOWARD_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 21:43   #22
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Manley View Post
Good point and talking about "bulged brass" as a generalization IMO, serves no purpose. There's "bulged" brass and then, there's "BULGED" brass. If it's "guppied" at the 6-O'Clock position, I'd consider that far more suspect Vs. a normal, concentric, swell toward the middle which poses no problem with either reloading or as a safety issue.
Which is why I suggested he take some fired brass, drop it in his chamber spin it and see if it's guppied or just bulged. I would load bulgied brass but not brass that did not pass the test above. If I got all that type of brass I would get a new barrel.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:19   #23
bno762

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_HOWARD_13 View Post
Question answered, thread closed.

Thanks guys!
Ohhhh its not that easy here MR. Bob Howardifthatsyourrealname!! We will disect this problem for you and give you 1001 different reasons why your brass is bulging. Then and only then will we start working on whyat you should do about it. Then you will be required to post pics of said offending bulged brass w/pics of fixed brass. Then we will go into totally unrelated issues of why we all reload and why people that do not suck. So stick around for a bit.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:07   #24
dsmw5142
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bno762 View Post
Ohhhh its not that easy here MR. Bob Howardifthatsyourrealname!! We will disect this problem for you and give you 1001 different reasons why your brass is bulging. Then and only then will we start working on whyat you should do about it. Then you will be required to post pics of said offending bulged brass w/pics of fixed brass. Then we will go into totally unrelated issues of why we all reload and why people that do not suck. So stick around for a bit.

Yeah!!

Rudy Project USA IDPA squad
dsmw5142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:29   #25
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bno762 View Post

Damn, I hope healthcare reform passes really soon... you need to be on meds... or a 5th of something strong.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:07   #26
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_HOWARD_13 View Post
Can this be done? I noticed that the cases that I have are bulged, they were factory loads to begin with. Can I reload them and fire them in the stock bbl again?

Thanks in advance!
How about one of these?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=358543
"The G-Rx Base Sizing Die meets the need of the reloader needing to reload brass shot through some of the most popular autoloaders today. These autoloaders, when fired, produce a bulge at the bottom of the brass, which normal sizing dies can not reach and remove, rendering the brass unusable. Simply push the brass through the sizing die and the bulge in the web of the brass is removed. This step fully sizes the brass back within the accepted SAAMI specification for brass diameter. After the brass has been pushed through the die it may be resized in a standard sizing die allowing once unusable brass to be reloaded normally. "
Now, there are people who say they have never seen a bulged case. Could be. However, Redding is a good name in reloading, they likely see lots more stuff than individuals do.
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:19   #27
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
As an experiment, I took about 50 .40 caliber cases & lubed them, ran them through the U-Dies. As always, every one just cleanly dropped straight into my case gauge, rim first or mouth first. I then took the same resized cases and ran them through the GRX die. What I found was, it took a surprising amount of effort (same as un-sized brass) and, although the cases were already within SAAMI spec, the GRX still sized them down. It does do what it advertises but after using it, I don't think I'd feel comfortable recommending one for correcting serious bulges near the case head which, is it's intended purpose. On those cases, I think the safe thing is to toss 'em. Head separations have long been considered more prevalent in case-rolled brass and I would'nt be surprised if it isn't the case with the GRX once it's out there long enough to acquire a track record.
How would you feel about using it as a one time thing to get the brass sized for your chamber (assuming you didn't own a U Die). After the first time using a regular sizing die.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:24   #28
D. Manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
How would you feel about using it as a one time thing to get the brass sized for your chamber (assuming you didn't own a U Die). After the first time using a regular sizing die.
It would probably be fine in most cases Steve although, I personally would never feel comfortable shooting any of the truly "guppied" brass. I should mention that for whatever reason, I never seem to run across any like that though. I suppose the brass I come across is once-fired factory stuff and/or, has been fired through recent vintage barrels...just a normal, gentle, swelling of the overall case which is easily remedied with normal dies.

In using the GRX die, the cases seem to require more lube than normal resizing. Redding recommends Imperial Sizing Wax and includes a free sample with the die. Dillon's spray-on with the lanolin works OK but Hornady One-Shot seems a little too light. The effort required to run the cases through is surprisingly more than you might think. The die does not resize the cases for reloading...they must still be resized through normal sizing dies for adequate neck tension.

My reservation is this. If normal sizing dies fail to bring the case into specs sufficient to use, then the case is bulged very low in a part of the case that (1) should not be bulged anyway and (2) is the hardest, thickest area of the case that is not ducile and was never intended to be expanded/resized. This may be an unreasonable concern and doing it once may well have no ill effect. I would personally never consider doing it as a routine practice though, I feel it just can't possibly be a good thing. There are lots of instances where case-rolled brass has had case head separation failures and it seems to me that this tool is accomplishing a similar thing...resizing the case head area.

To answer your question directly, it may (or, may not) prove a useful tool and in the instance you named, is probably fine. Once it's out long enough to develop a track record we will know more. In the meantime, it's my opinion that the U-Dies are the more useful tool. In anything resembling a "normal" piece of fired brass it will not only size it to chamber in most all barrels, it will do it easily and with the extra margin of safety provided by more than adequate case tension on the bullet. I know everyone has their own opinions on this sort of thing and that's fine...I just choose to err on the side of caution rather than trying to salvage or extend the life of a few pieces of brass that perhaps would be better tossed.
D. Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:22   #29
dudley

I agree, but would that get the case sized down closer to the rim of the case?
dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 15:23   #30
D. Manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley View Post
I agree, but would that get the case sized down closer to the rim of the case?
Dudley, if you're asking me and referring to the GRX die then, yes...that is the entire purpose of the GRX die or it's lesser known competitor, the "Gizmo". The Redding GRX is a "full-through" die. It uses an extended "push-rod" mounted in the shellholder slot that pushes the cases up, through and out the top of the die resizing the base as it goes.
Old 08-05-2009, 16:42   #31
Colorado4Wheel

I would not use truely guppied brass either. But, I have never seen any in my 10mm or 9mm so I don't worry about it. I also don't own a U-Die. Just standard lee stuff. Nothing I load fails the case gauge due to a sizing issue so I just don't worry about sizing issues. Thanks for the great response. I agree with your rational 100%.
Old 08-05-2009, 18:40   #32
D. Manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
I would not use truely guppied brass either. But, I have never seen any in my 10mm or 9mm so I don't worry about it. I also don't own a U-Die. Just standard lee stuff. Nothing I load fails the case gauge due to a sizing issue so I just don't worry about sizing issues. Thanks for the great response. I agree with your rational 100%.
And, that's the salient point. I can't imagine where reloaders are running into quantities of "guppied" brass. I've fully cleaned, inspected, processed (including primer pockets), separated & stored over 30,000 pieces of 9MM, .40 & .45 range brass and I just don't come across it. I'm a bit suspicious of instances where someone buys, "once fired brass" only to find a high ratio of such brass...I strongly suspect the unsuspecting purchasers are a dumping ground for this sort of stuff and heaven only knows how it got in that condition. By far, the overwhelming majority of what I acquire is Glock-fired and a substantial portion of that is from LE practice ammo. I can honestly say I've never seen a round bulged to the extent it did not resize normally and case gauge just fine. I guess our local shooters are either shooting reasonable loads, using recent vintage guns/barrels or both.
Old 02-10-2010, 14:07   #33
ChaneyD

I love this GR-X die. I've got lots of bulged brass from range pickups that I threw in a bucket thinking they're junk. I have an aftermarket barrel so I don't have that bulge problem. With this new die I now have passed all the bucket brass through it on my 550B and now I have tons more brass to shoot. Makes resizing through my Dillon easier as well.
Old 02-10-2010, 16:53   #34
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
And, that's the salient point. I can't imagine where reloaders are running into quantities of "guppied" brass. I've fully cleaned, inspected, processed (including primer pockets), separated & stored over 30,000 pieces of 9MM, .40 & .45 range brass and I just don't come across it. I'm a bit suspicious of instances where someone buys, "once fired brass" only to find a high ratio of such brass...I strongly suspect the unsuspecting purchasers are a dumping ground for this sort of stuff and heaven only knows how it got in that condition. By far, the overwhelming majority of what I acquire is Glock-fired and a substantial portion of that is from LE practice ammo. I can honestly say I've never seen a round bulged to the extent it did not resize normally and case gauge just fine. I guess our local shooters are either shooting reasonable loads, using recent vintage guns/barrels or both.
I think a portion of this is people perception that there is a problem. So they look for the problem to confirm their perception. My buddy who uses a U-die and has a GXR and a FCD setup up as a push through die and a automated roll sizer told me today something interesting. He said he compared all four process and found zero difference between the four. I am still conviced it's bad die setup. I would love someone to send me a piece of .40 brass that they say will not work in their sizer and I would try it in my sizer. If the bas is that bulged I personally think the brass is suspect and not worth using. But I have still yet to see any of this brass.