Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-04-2013, 21:37   #1
Trey83

AK noob question

Hi guys, I have a decent AR and now I am looking to get an AK. I have started to do some research but I don't even know where to begin. I keep seeing Arsenal come up as a recommended brand but they seem to be priced a bit higher than I'd like to spend. Can you guys poimt me in the right direction for a decent quality AK that won't break the bank? Any recommendations are much appreciated
Old 07-04-2013, 21:46   #2
Joshhtn
Rastaman!

Norinco MAK90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude, you are ****ing banned.
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:35   #3
Hedo1

Yugo undefolder. It shoots better then my Arsenal and the stock folds too!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:07   #4
adamg01

J&G has the Yugo. for $599, that is the best in awhile and this is coming from a die hard Arsenal guy.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 19:27   #5
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Yugo rifles are solid, but beware that underfolding stocks are absolutely horrid for prolonged practical use. The $599 from J&G sales looks like a good deal in the current climate, and I can recommend J&G as a good vendor from experience.

I'm also a big arsenal fan, but their prices of late are just insane. They seem to be milking their status at the top.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I

Last edited by WayaX; 07-06-2013 at 19:28..
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 20:35   #6
Trey83

Thanks for the input guys. I will check into the Yugos.
Old 07-06-2013, 22:36   #7
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

I'd say save up a little and buy an arsenal....they're worth it.
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:09   #8
HWI

Just an fyi, Yugos don't have chrome lined barrels.
HWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:17   #9
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
I'd say save up a little and buy an arsenal....they're worth it.
+1
Save and get an Arsenal.
BTW - Mine has a chrome lined barrel.
Good weapons should last a life time.
Why go cheap?

And the bad news is;
IMHO purchase price isn't the most significant cost of ownership.
I've already spent more on mags, ammo and other accessories
than the Arsenal SLR-106U cost NIB.

Last edited by barth; 07-07-2013 at 12:19..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 20:18   #10
adamg01

I have always been of the mindset that if you are going to have one Ak, make it an Arsenal. With an Sgl-21 going for $1,200, I promise they aren't twice as good as the $599 military factory built Yugo.

My two Sgls' are the best all around Ak's I have ever owned but I certainly wouldn't feel outgunned with my Romy Sar1. Arsenal's are the best Ak's out there in my opinion from owning numerous variants but any Ak built correctly using mil-spec parts will fit your needs.

Get the Yugo and spend the rest on Mags and ammo. I paid $700 for my Sgl-20 and $745 for my Sgl-21, they aren't worth $1,200 to me personally with all the quality Ak's out there for half the price, just my opinion.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 13:10   #11
yz9890

I love my Arsenal SGL21 and was nervous about spending extra for one. After shooting it and comparing it to a few others I was satisfied that it was worth the $300-$350 premium I paid for it a couple of years ago (to me anyway). However, that's when they were selling for $800-850. No way I'd pay the $1250 and up I'm seeing for them now. I think I'd buy a cheaper WASR or something and send it to Rifle Dynamics to get tricked out if I was going to spend that kind of money.
yz9890 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 14:14   #12
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Most 7.62x39 is non-corrosive, and unless you're shooting a lot, the Yugo should be fine. The value of the chrome-lining may or may not matter based on the user. If it is important to you, then go with an Arsenal.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 16:40   #13
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhtn View Post
Norinco MAK90.
Josh is right.. The MAK90 is probably the best AK variant that is still widely available. I wouldn't buy anything with a USA made receiver. The USA can put a man on the moon but imo, cant make a AK receiver worth a flip.

If I were looking for a AK in todays market:

1. Polytech AKS ( they are simply too hard to find and typically cost $$$$)

2. MAK90

3. SAR Series

4. WASR

5. MAADI
Old 07-08-2013, 20:44   #14
HWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
I wouldn't buy anything with a USA made receiver. The USA can put a man on the moon but imo, cant make a AK receiver worth a flip.
Never used a NDS receiver I take it?

As far as Chinese AKs go, their major downfall is available accessories. The thicker receivers and sometimes slant cut receivers can make using aftermarket furniture difficult. Good rifles though, so I guess it boils down to what you want to do with the platform.
Old 07-08-2013, 20:48   #15
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
I have two NDS receiver one is built the other I'm building next month, think they are great.....
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 21:33   #16
sdsnet
CLM Number 43
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedo1 View Post
Yugo undefolder. It shoots better then my Arsenal and the stock folds too!
Yugo M70AB2 underfolder. I really enjoy mine and is a great deal for the money. Small enough to fit in a backpack and it is just as stable as a conventional AK. A friend and I compared normal stock versus underfolder stock and it really is just as stable. You can fire it when folded which is like having an AK pistol too.

All for well under $1000. While Bush was still in office I bought a very good one for $650 which was a bit high at the time.

sdsnet
Ham Shack Club # 1995
Walther Club # 1995

-My username has nothing to do with Students for Democratic Society-
sdsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:56   #17
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Milled or Stamp AK?

I just got my AK47 SAMR7 and it is awseome! It is milled and Arsenal!

I think http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ has the best deal on AKs. I would suggest you to get Milled AK. The stamped and Milled are priced at about same range with a different of $100 to $400 at AtlanticFirearms.com. K-VAR.com also have a good deal on AKs.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:47   #18
Hedo1

I took an AK specific class last year. This was several years after I began shooting the AK platform.

The instructor pointed out that most of us try and shoot the AK like we do the AR or other Western type rifle. It's not made to be shot that way. He taught placing the stock on the pectoral muscle slightly off center of the chest and facing the target squarely. Amazing how fast and accurate you can run the AK that way, especially moving or transitioning to a sidearm. We also learned some disarm and retention techniques that were AK specific and position transitions based on the Systema program. The underfolder worked very well for me in the class and the stock was a benefit.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:38   #19
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
Never used a NDS receiver I take it?

As far as Chinese AKs go, their major downfall is available accessories. The thicker receivers and sometimes slant cut receivers can make using aftermarket furniture difficult. Good rifles though, so I guess it boils down to what you want to do with the platform.
speaking generally, not specifically. As a AK owner since the early 80's I am pretty familiar with how AK variants have progressed over the years- it is that knowledge and experience that I base my opinion. Slant cut receivers are not all the rage and never have been. Its not really an issue many have to deal with... other than choosing not to by one. As far a NDS go.. No I have not examined or owned one. They may be very nice, I don't know. Generally.. I do not approve of USA made AK receivers. I have no issue with barrels, fire control groups and other parts, I simply do not like the work I have seen on USA receivers. With all the available AK variants out there I see no reason to buy a kit gun, parts gun or whatever they call them nowadays. As a person who has owned 6-10 different AK and spending less that $350 for each of them over the decades, I just cant bring myself to by a $600-900 AK variant rifle. I just wont do it.

I would suggest to anyone looking for a good AK variant to go out and spend $450-500 and get a MAK90 while they are still out there. Compare that rifle to anything you see on the current market as a "new" AK and see what you think.

Last edited by FireForged; 07-09-2013 at 10:43..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 20:57   #20
patermagnus

Where would you even find an arsenal in July of 2013? Not much success on armslist.
patermagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 20:59   #21
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by patermagnus View Post
Where would you even find an arsenal in July of 2013? Not much success on armslist.
Did you see my comment in above?
Old 07-09-2013, 21:08   #22
HWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
speaking generally, not specifically. As a AK owner since the early 80's I am pretty familiar with how AK variants have progressed over the years- it is that knowledge and experience that I base my opinion. Slant cut receivers are not all the rage and never have been. Its not really an issue many have to deal with... other than choosing not to by one. As far a NDS go.. No I have not examined or owned one. They may be very nice, I don't know. Generally.. I do not approve of USA made AK receivers. I have no issue with barrels, fire control groups and other parts, I simply do not like the work I have seen on USA receivers. With all the available AK variants out there I see no reason to buy a kit gun, parts gun or whatever they call them nowadays. As a person who has owned 6-10 different AK and spending less that $350 for each of them over the decades, I just cant bring myself to by a $600-900 AK variant rifle. I just wont do it.

I would suggest to anyone looking for a good AK variant to go out and spend $450-500 and get a MAK90 while they are still out there. Compare that rifle to anything you see on the current market as a "new" AK and see what you think.
There are definitely plenty of ****ty US made receivers, but there are also some really high quality ones. I am the opposite of you, I would take US made receiver over a US made barrel, simply for the fact that the foreign made AK barrel is going to be CHF and the US made one is not.

MAK-90s are good rifles. I wasn't discounting them in my previous post, but just wanted to make the OP aware of a potential drawback if he had planned on certain upgrades.
Old 07-09-2013, 21:18   #23
patermagnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Eric View Post
Did you see my comment in above?
yes, everyone I click on is out of stock.
patermagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:57   #24
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by patermagnus View Post
yes, everyone I click on is out of stock.
Email them as I did. I think on the front page is the availablity that they have in stock.
Old 07-10-2013, 18:38   #25
gogriz91

I recommend hitting some local gunstores to see if they have any you can look at, handle one or two, most larger gunstores usually have a WASR and maybe a Yugo you can fondle to look at differences in build quality etc.

I'm also a big Jim Fuller fan, here's a link to some of his recommendations for a first time AK buyer.

Heavily medicated for your protection
gogriz91 is offline   Reply With Quote