Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-25-2009, 19:20   #1
dsmitty

Bow hunters... I have a ?

Ok, I officially have the fever to hunt. I have been shooting the last two weeks and went scouting last night and am very impressed for what I seen.

20 yards from the truck, 2 all ohio bucks possibly two booners. They were both 4 to 5 inches past its ears with about 8 in. brow(sp?) tines. Now that I have the bow shooting well this year and am back in the swing of things, I need to choose a broadhead.

I must have an arrow that will allow me to shoot as close to the feild tip precision and still have enough cutting and force to ensure with a good hit I wont have a problem finding one of these monsters. I am shooting 125 grain tips and aluminum arrows (plan on changing over to carbon either soon, or next season)

If it helps, I'm shooting a Hoyt Heat with a 60 pound draw.

Any and all suggestions are helpful and wanted!
dsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 21:06   #2
GeorgiaGlockMan
Aggie in Exile.

I put a 125 gr Montec G5 through a bull elk year before last (buried it deep into bone on the opposite shoulder). Last year I put one all the way through a nice WT that was quartering to me hard (it probably went through the equivalent of 2 deer standing broadside).

I think any quality fixed blade will do the trick on a WT (even one of those monsters you mentioned) as long as you are shooting a Hoyt.

Good Luck!

Last edited by GeorgiaGlockMan; 09-01-2009 at 21:08.. Reason: spellsucky
GeorgiaGlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 22:28   #3
chevy01234

I am shooting 2 blade rages this year. I would look at the Montec's! I like them too.
chevy01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:08   #4
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

I shoot 90gr Muzzy broadheads, but have in the past used NAP.

I, personally, wouldn't change my set-up this close to hunting season. Wait til after the season before you switch arrows.
Old 09-02-2009, 23:11   #5
StockGlock23
Hilarious!

I use 90 grain Muzzys and I am very pleased with their performance. They give me a good bit of spped with the light weight and make for a good blood trail. I shot a small 6 pointer last year and it bled like a running garden hose. I hit about 2 inches higher than I wanted and got a lung but if it had hit the heart I can't imagine the blood loss.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:14   #6
noway

I'm using a 4 blade stingers on a bear kodiak recurve.

Suggestions, 2 3 4 blades, 85gr to 220grain , fixed or expandable,so many options. You really need to test your with that broadhead. So you need todo this and do it quickly, the season is almost around the corner for some and started for others ( noway ).

So look at a few designs, see what others users in like-is setups, and the take a shot ( pun intended ) at a particular brand and style.

I've used muzzy in the past when I had training wheels
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 20:07   #7
Usingmyrights
Jr Member

Send a message via AIM to Usingmyrights

I use SlickTrick Mags. They're advertised as flying like field tips and for me they really do. My bow needed no additional tuning for these BH. I can send you some wound pics if you'd like. I already know they won't let me post them.
Usingmyrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 20:18   #8
Jeremy_K

100 gr. Slicktricks. They're cheap and fly like field points. G5 Montecs are good too but are tough to keep an edge on.
Jeremy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 21:04   #9
Usingmyrights
Jr Member

Send a message via AIM to Usingmyrights

I forgot to add that the SlickTricks have a steel ferrule so its not as likely to bend/break as some of the other heads. I didn't get any pics of the ribs if smashed, but I'll just say that it broke one completely in half and cracked 2 more. The head still looks great to.
Usingmyrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:47   #10
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

I've used 90 grain 3 blade Muzzy's for years and they have never let me down.

Most any broadhead will get the job done if you do your job.

Be sure to shoot the broadheads you intend to hunt with! Shoot them a lot! The difference between how a broadhead flies and your field points will tell you how well your bow is tuned and how well your arrows are tuned!

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote