SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-24-2009, 17:44   #1
patman
Large member

Ruger SR-556

What's the story on these?Looks interesting and I've always liked Rugers.

One step from lashing out at you!

Last edited by patman; 09-24-2009 at 18:00..
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 18:24   #2
PAGlock

Yeh, me too! I really like the look of the new Rugers. I'm thinking really hard about buying one. Best price I've seen so far was $1,350.00. I'm afraid if I wait too long (assuming the Dems will try to pass new gun control legislation), there will be none to buy!

Attachment 181879

Last edited by PAGlock; 01-29-2011 at 12:17..
PAGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 18:25   #3
JDG

Good write up on it in the Rifelman, looks Bad A** to me!
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 18:31   #4
Kegel

You should definitely buy one before Hussein takes away your right to own a gun. It is well known and generally agreed upon around these parts that piston driven AR's are far superior to their DI bretheren. They not only run far cleaner, cooler and have less wear and tear but are guaranteed to make you a better shot. There is less recoil and followup shots are much easier to place on target quickly. Ruger is considered by many to be the best manufacturer of quality AR type rifles for at least 20 years now. I would have no problem in advising you to trust your life to one of these fine weapons.

Last edited by Kegel; 09-24-2009 at 18:57..
Kegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 18:40   #5
patman
Large member

I may have to dump some firearms to fund one.I never knew Ruger made AR type rifles.I figured I'd get some responses from the Ruger haters around here.

Old 09-24-2009, 18:41   #6
PAGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegel View Post
You should definitely buy one before Hussein takes away your right to own a gun. It is well known and generally agreed upon around these parts that piston driven AR's are far superior to their DI bretheren. They not only run far cleaner, cooler and have less wear and tear but are guaranteed to make you a better shot. There is less recoil and followup shots are much easier to place on target quickly. Ruger is considered by many to be the best manufacturer of quality AR type rifles for at least 20 years now. I would have no problem in advising you to trust your life to one of these fine weapons.
Ruger has been making ARs for 20 years? I didn't know that! My new Rifleman magazine said something like "...this was Ruger's intro into the AR market.." If your talking about the Ranch Rifles, I too have heard only good things about them.
Old 09-24-2009, 18:46   #7
patman
Large member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGlock View Post
Ruger has been making ARs for 20 years? I didn't know that! My new Rifleman magazine said something like "...this was Ruger's intro into the AR market.." If your talking about the Ranch Rifles, I too have heard only good things about them.
The ranch rifles are very dependable but accuracy is a little disappointing.I had a mini-14.Sweet rifle but it just didn't hold a very good group.They more closely resemble an M-14 than an AR though.

Old 09-24-2009, 21:07   #8
mythaeus

If you are going to spend $1400, I suggest you go through this entire thread on the Ruger SR556: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=32141

The reviews aren't so good. First release of any gun to join a popular market through playing catch up is never a good thing.

Al
mythaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 21:20   #9
patman
Large member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
If you are going to spend $1400, I suggest you go through this entire thread on the Ruger SR556: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=32141

The reviews aren't so good. First release of any gun to join a popular market through playing catch up is never a good thing.

Al
"Let's just say the operating system has issues that I can't go into".

There's iron clad evidence.Glad I read that.

Old 09-24-2009, 23:14   #10
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

Don't really like the looks of the system. Still has an AR charge handle, the barrel isn't floated, and the piston isn't attached to the bolt, but rather slams into it to push it back. Looks like they'd run hot and suffer from the dreaded carrier tilt. Could be wrong, but I'll pass.

When I finally drop money on a non-AK gas piston rifle I'll be won't be a piston AR, but something built for it from the ground up.
Old 09-24-2009, 23:29   #11
crenca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck TX View Post

When I finally drop money on a non-AK gas piston rifle I'll be won't be a piston AR, but something built for it from the ground up.
Robinson XCR has served me well. No Ruger for me after Bill sold us out to the anti-gun crowd. Perhaps the now public company will wise up and change their name, or start a division without "Ruger" in the name...
crenca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 00:08   #12
Foxfire5

I'll stick with my FN/FNC and my two VZ 58 Imports with real Czech forged receivers not made in America clones.
Foxfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:34   #13
mangkukhan

First off Ruger has never made an AR or AR related product.

Second they still don't, they simply retagged someone else's rifle with their name. I believe these are made entirely with aftermarket and custom shop parts like Troy and CAA.

Third Piston driven AR's have yet to be proven to be more reliable than DI AR's. they do run cooler, but there have been piston breakages and other problems due to the fact the platform simply wasn't designed to accomodate a piston.

Fourth I doubt the recoil would be noticeably different, more than likely you would just eliminate the quiet twang of the recoil buffer.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:06   #14
pleaforwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangkukhan View Post
First off Ruger has never made an AR or AR related product.

Second they still don't, they simply retagged someone else's rifle with their name. I believe these are made entirely with aftermarket and custom shop parts like Troy and CAA.

Third Piston driven AR's have yet to be proven to be more reliable than DI AR's. they do run cooler, but there have been piston breakages and other problems due to the fact the platform simply wasn't designed to accomodate a piston.

Fourth I doubt the recoil would be noticeably different, more than likely you would just eliminate the quiet twang of the recoil buffer.
Actually, several studies have shown the reliability of a gas-piston system in regards to the maintenance required with a DI system. Also, plenty of respected individuals have noted the difference in recoil between DI vs GPU.

If you like the DI platform, by all means carry your argument, but do it where the issue is actually relevant (i.e. combat accuracy vs. match accuracy, carrier tilt, etc.).

Yes, when Eugene Stoner originally developed the system, it was meant to be a gas operated rifle rather than a piston operated rifle. That being said, he developed the platform to be a 20" rifle system too. By your suggestion, carbines, sbr's, and midlength's shouldn't be considered either.

In the end, both systems have their pros and cons, I hope that you would attest to this.

pleaforwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:53   #15
CMG

I don't know much, but I do know I like my SR556.

I have two DI guns and did have a Sig 556 (didn't care for it). The Ruger is heavier than an M4gery, but part of that weight is in the quad-rail hand-guards.

Mine has been flawless in performance, shows no adverse wear to the buffer tube from "carrier tilt" and is as accurate as I can shoot.

ARs have become the 1911 of rifles. Meaning there are too many brands/styles for most folks to have owned them all, but there are still a lot of fierce brand-snobs/loyalists who will insist one is junk, theirs pure gold.

I chose to find out first hand and I'm glad I did. YMMV, of course.

Black Rifle Forum
Old 09-25-2009, 16:17   #16
Deadduck357

I own 7 DI AR15's and my SR-556 is my favorite AR of them all.

6 DI's, 1 is a 9mm, sorry.

Last edited by Deadduck357; 09-25-2009 at 16:20..
Deadduck357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 16:53   #17
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGlock View Post
Yeh, me too! I really like the look of the new Rugers. I'm thinking really hard about buying one. Best price I've seen so far was $1,350.00. I'm afraid if I wait too long (assuming the Dems will try to pass new gun control legislation), there will be none to buy!

Attachment 181879
The Dems need to do nothing. Simply signing of a UN treaty and guns are banned from private ownership. The President has that kind of power!

Old 09-25-2009, 18:04   #18
lil Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenca View Post
Robinson XCR has served me well. No Ruger for me after Bill sold us out to the anti-gun crowd. Perhaps the now public company will wise up and change their name, or start a division without "Ruger" in the name...

+1
"I just don't understand why a man needs more than 10 rounds in a mag." But see here my Ranch Rifle doesn't have a pistol grip, or a colap. butstock, so it doesn't qualify as an assult weapon under the ban.

Now Ruger has an SR9 with 20 rounds, and an AR relabled under their name. No Ruger's in this house either.
lil Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 19:35   #19
patman
Large member

I own Rugers.Always have,always will.AR's,as far as I can tell,suck.That is all I read on the forums any way.I'm just gonna buy as many SKS rifles as I can with the money I was gonna spend on an AR.Or maybe a couple AK's and a couple of SKS.Maybe some day some one will have something GOOD to say about an AR.Then I will buy one or two.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:52   #20
wellcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil Nelson View Post
+1
"I just don't understand why a man needs more than 10 rounds in a mag." But see here my Ranch Rifle doesn't have a pistol grip, or a colap. butstock, so it doesn't qualify as an assult weapon under the ban.

Now Ruger has an SR9 with 20 rounds, and an AR relabled under their name. No Ruger's in this house either.
bill rugers been dead and gone for a long time now and the owners of ruger have taken the company in a totally different direction offering mini 14's with hi-cap 30 rd mags and collapsable stocks, the SR9 with 18 rd hi-cap mags and now a piston driven AR15 yet some gun owners are stuck in the past and dwelling on **** that happened decades ago. if bill ruger was still living or ruger was still practicing his ideaology then gun owners boycotting ruger products would be justified. i choose to support firearm manufacturers that are producing the products i want to buy.

with that said i'll pass on the 556 because i'd rather buy a SCAR, Keltec 308 BP or remington ACR.
wellcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:15   #21
patman
Large member

I was just looking at the SCAR on Gunbroker.The asking price was worth a giggle.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:55   #22
smokin762

I am not a Ruger hater but I did disagree with the old man. This may sound mean but it is a blessing for Ruger Firearms that Bill is gone.

I am not a fan of the Mini 14, this is from my own experience while I had own one. I like to own accurate rifles. The Mini 14 just was not for me. I do like some of Rugers other rifles though.

I have had a Ruger SP101 in 22 lr. and a MK II, I had to sell them both and other firearms to raise money. I thought both guns were awesome and I wish I had them back. I sold a Super Black Hawk and a Super Red Hawk 44 mag I used them for hunting. These were also great pistols. I own a 20 barrel 10/22 and I love it.

As somebody has already said, Ruger is moving in a new direction. This can be seen on their web site. Ruger is finally trying to please the shooter crowd and I applaud them for this movement.

I do not buy first year anything, I like to let the manufacture work out the bugs. I think it will be a better rifle next year. Just my opinion.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:04   #23
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

When is the "Ruger Recall" on the new 556 rifle going to be announced?

J/K!!!
Old 09-26-2009, 13:45   #24
mangkukhan

Quote:
When is the "Ruger Recall" on the new 556 rifle going to be announced?
Maybe not since they didn't build it.
Old 09-26-2009, 23:05   #25
ddbtoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
bill rugers been dead and gone for a long time now and the owners of ruger have taken the company in a totally different direction offering mini 14's with hi-cap 30 rd mags and collapsable stocks, the SR9 with 18 rd hi-cap mags and now a piston driven AR15 yet some gun owners are stuck in the past and dwelling on **** that happened decades ago. if bill ruger was still living or ruger was still practicing his ideaology then gun owners boycotting ruger products would be justified. i choose to support firearm manufacturers that are producing the products i want to buy.

with that said i'll pass on the 556 because i'd rather buy a SCAR, Keltec 308 BP or remington ACR.
That may be--but we as consumers can have a long memory--If you tow the gun grabbers line ("no civilian needs more than 10 rounds") and people remember it regardless-maybe the gun company will wise up to the fact not to sell out. I won't forget, I don't care that Bill Ruger is dead, he didn't die soon enough to suit me. He is a sell out, and we should continue to make an example of the liberal gun companies that decide to ignore us and pander to the left wing. I will buy MSAR guns and other guns (not even consider S&W) that come from a company that is responsive to our demands, not the toadies in Washington. Fudge e'm and die. Never forget!

"Thank you, but I would rather die behind the chemical sheds."
ddbtoth is online now   Reply With Quote