GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:19   #1
drpdw

Women out there: WHAT and HOW do you carry?

I am resurrecting a Feb '09 thread that Sawgrass initiated, in an effort to get some dialogue and information exchange out there, among the women who are reading this post.

Although I own both a Sig P239 and a Glock 26, I just started carrying the Glock 26 (in my purse...I know...this isn't a good idea, for obvious reasons, but can't handle a holster on a belt since I don't usually wear belts, and the in-the-waistband holster is not comfortable for my frame),... and am still searching for the best carry method.

So, women out there: WHAT and HOW do you carrry?
-PDW
drpdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 21:14   #2
sawgrass

Real Carry Plastic

I carry the LCP in a pocket holster.
I carry the glocks IWB, which is not comfortable, sometimes
with a tuckable.
Fortunately it's getting colder and I will switch to OWB, which
feels pretty good.

Last edited by sawgrass; 10-09-2009 at 16:07..
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:50   #3
drpdw

thanks, Sawgrass! How about the other women out there????

Sawgrass,
I appreciate you sharing info RE: what you carry and how you do this. The picture was a nice addition, as well...thanks!!!! Now, hopefully, we can generate a little discussion from other women, such as myself, who are interested in sharing this info with other women. Personally, I am still searching for the right carry method.

-PDW

Last edited by drpdw; 10-03-2009 at 11:53..
Old 10-03-2009, 20:58   #4
wrencher

Hot, hot summer in shorts, Ruger LCP in a pocket holster. If I can wear a belt of any kind, a Glock 26 in a FIST kydex IWB holster. If I'm in jeans with a real belt, the 26, or a S&W CS9 IWB.
It's getting cooler here, now, sweatshirt or jacket weather, so a Glock 19 OWB, or sometimes, a Beretta 92 compact L type M, OWB.
I know, I'm fickle.
wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:46   #5
CalmCool&Confident

Yes! Thanks for starting this thread, drpdw! I'm new to all of this and currently trying to determine how best to CC my G23. Anxious to read others responses.
CalmCool&Confident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:30   #6
PATRICE
. . . . .

Last edited by PATRICE; 10-25-2009 at 08:39..
PATRICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:09   #7
drpdw

thanks for the input!

Hello, Patrice,
Thanks, so very much, for the validation on a cross-body purse carry. That's what I do right now, until I can figure out how to carry on my person without changing professional clothing styles. My little G26 can fit in most of my cross-body purses, and as you say, it's better to have protection with this option than not to have protection. In the late fall and winter, when I'll have to wear a heavy outergarment, I do believe I'll go with a nice pocket holster; there are plenty out there.

Again, thanks, Patrice!
-PDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATRICE View Post
Hhmmm...regardless of the caveats about off-body carry...for myself, I'm inclined to think that purse carry is always a fall-back position. I mean, there are some outfits for which it's the only option---I mean unless one wants to consider "thigh-carry." My only concession to purse-carry is to sling the shoulder-bag across my body. I mean, yes, purses can get forgotten, purses can be snatched...but, if the alternative is going unarmed in circumstances where one would prefer to have a weapon, what is one to do?--Patrice
Old 10-04-2009, 12:11   #8
drpdw

We are all interested in this issue!

Dear CCC,
Thanks for replying to this thread...Hopefully, other women out there will read and respond with some good suggestions for those of us (women) who are interested in learning about the suggestions for personal carry techniques.

-PDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmCool&Confident View Post
Yes! Thanks for starting this thread, drpdw! I'm new to all of this and currently trying to determine how best to CC my G23. Anxious to read others responses.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:14   #9
drpdw

pocket holsters

Hi, Wrencher!
Thanks for the info. CCC, myself, and I'm sure other women out there, are most interested in getting as much information as possible from other women who have experience with this carry issue.

Do you have a personal favorite brand of in-pocket holster that you could suggest?

Thanks!
-PDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrencher View Post
Hot, hot summer in shorts, Ruger LCP in a pocket holster. If I can wear a belt of any kind, a Glock 26 in a FIST kydex IWB holster. If I'm in jeans with a real belt, the 26, or a S&W CS9 IWB.
It's getting cooler here, now, sweatshirt or jacket weather, so a Glock 19 OWB, or sometimes, a Beretta 92 compact L type M, OWB.
I know, I'm fickle.
Old 10-04-2009, 14:05   #10
sawgrass

I'm sure I've read from a woman on here, who shoulder carries.
It may be Cat lady, who is an attorney. (???)

I would like to hear more about that. I'm falling in love with
1911's, and am too short to carry one around my waist.

S.
Old 10-04-2009, 14:58   #11
wrencher

pdw, I've tried a bunch of different pocket holsters. I think my current one is my favorite. It's the Desantis Nemesis. It's made out of a kind of sticky vinyl type material, that clings to the inside of your pocket. They're cheap, and hide the gun pretty well.
Most importantly, it's fairly thin, so it doesn't add a lot of bulk to your pockets.
I'm carrying a Ruger LCP in one of these in the summer, in shorts-you can barely tell you have anything with you.
wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 15:05   #12
drpdw

have you ever tried a belly band?

Thanks, Wrencher!
I've seen the DeSantis pocket holsters and will give one a closer look this Tuesday a.m. when I do my range duty! Currently, I'm carrying my G26 in an Uncle Mike's IWB hoster that works in my (cross-body) purse, and hooks to an inside pocket. I did put it in a large outside pocket of a raincoat the other day and really liked having the G26 close hand

Like yourself, I would like to challenge other women out there to share their thoughts and personal experiences with personal carry techniques.

-PDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrencher View Post
pdw, I've tried a bunch of different pocket holsters. I think my current one is my favorite. It's the Desantis Nemesis. It's made out of a kind of sticky vinyl type material, that clings to the inside of your pocket. They're cheap, and hide the gun pretty well.
Most importantly, it's fairly thin, so it doesn't add a lot of bulk to your pockets.
I'm carrying a Ruger LCP in one of these in the summer, in shorts-you can barely tell you have anything with you.
Old 10-04-2009, 15:11   #13
drpdw

website for holsters and women!

SG,
I was on another forum (The Sig Club, I believe), and one suggestion there for personal carry for women was to check out this website:
http: //www.corneredcat.com

I did, and this person has a veritable cornucopia of info for personal carry and other gun-related issues. One of the website's favorite method of personal carry is the belly band...interesting.

-PDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawgrass View Post

S.
Old 10-04-2009, 23:35   #14
Glolt20-91

Quote:

S.
I think that's the route my girlfriend is going to take with her FNP-40 since she has the same vertically challenged issue as you with belt carry. Her Taurus/.327 Federal Mag might have other carry options; purse carry is not an option. She does well with whatever is in her hands including the 1911, which is excellent for a newb shooter.

1911s are fairly easy to CCW plus the advantage of single stack magazines; this Para in .38Super (.357mag performance with 2/3s the recoil of a G17, making for split times <.20 seconds) will be in her hands soon to practice with:

Women's Issues

She has been with me and has witnessed how this Para performed several times to stop immediate threats, translating to, whatever concealed holster you decide upon; you only get one chance to get a good grip for fast threat target acquisition.

Bob

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final - Bill Jordan

Last edited by Glolt20-91; 10-04-2009 at 23:40..
Glolt20-91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:59   #15
bayoutrigger

This is an issue that my wife is facing now that she has her CC permit. She wants to simply use her "regular" purse but I've suggested that she not do this since the purse can be snatched and the time needed to retrieve from the "Bermuda Triangle" is too long.

IWB is a no go since it is uncomfortable and ladies will not under any circumstances buy clothes a size bigger to accommodate.

Necessity is said to be the mother of invention but after reading many many posts on this subject I have been unable to find the best solution for my wife.
bayoutrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:30   #16
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoutrigger View Post
This is an issue that my wife is facing now that she has her CC permit. She wants to simply use her "regular" purse but I've suggested that she not do this since the purse can be snatched and the time needed to retrieve from the "Bermuda Triangle" is too long.

IWB is a no go since it is uncomfortable and ladies will not under any circumstances buy clothes a size bigger to accommodate.

Necessity is said to be the mother of invention but after reading many many posts on this subject I have been unable to find the best solution for my wife.
I know what you mean. I'm lurking too for ideas. I even bought my wife two "gun purses". She's used them quite a bit, just not to carry. She's had her CCW for 5 years now and I can count on one hand the number of times she's done so.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 13:40   #17
drpdw

ordered a belly wrap carry

B,
I ordered a belly band from eBay over the weekend. I'll let folks know how that works.
-PDW

Quote:

Old 10-07-2009, 08:11   #18
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

Quote:

Take her to the range with that purse and a timer. Point out that an attacker can reach her from 7 yards away in 1.5 seconds. Time her draw and fire. Point out that her attacker reached her before she managed to get the gun on target. Point out how sad you would be if that really happened. Ask politely if she would either switch to a designed-for-carry purse that you would gladly pay for, or carry on-body. (CCW purses still take .7-1.5 seconds longer to draw from than OWB holsters - and that's with practice).

The second (and more fun) way to do this is for you to get an Airsoft, have her put it in her purse, stand 7 yards from her and have her attempt to draw and fire as soon as you start moving toward her...you will get there before she can clear leather. Do wear the proper safety equipment for this though. Wouldn't want to lose an eye.

Good Luck.

Mrs.Cicero

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:21   #19
Luli

My wife should hopefully be getting her CCW here in a couple months, I am looking at getting her a Taurus slim for a carry weapon, but I have been trying to think what would work for her to carry comfortably. I carry IWB behind hip and think it might work well for her. She is only 5' standing on her tip toes however, and while giving me the two best kids around her body has gotten slightly wider than when we were first married, so I'm thinking that an appendix carry might work well for her now. I'm not to thrilled with a purse carry for her as she has forgotten her purse several times and also she only likes to wear back pack style purses and the draw would never be good with one of those. Any thoughts form the women out there on what might be the first thing to try out with her?
Luli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 22:03   #20
Linda

I have carried for going on 6 years. It's a process of finding how your going to carry, but once you do, you'll stick with it.

The first 4 1/2 years, I carried a .45 cal Colt Defender. Then I carried a Walther P99 for about 8 months (don't waste your $$$ on this gun), and then I found the love of my hoslter, the S&W M&P compact. Love this gun, and have NEVER shoot a gun as well as this one.

I carry in a Kramer Leather IWB holster that has sheepskin on my skin side. I love this holster and have had one for each of my 3 carry guns. I wasted a lot of $$ on crap holsters...,and yes a holster purse, that I would never ever put my gun in. But, you do need to wear a belt and it needs to be a gun belt. A $10 belt will make your $100 holster feel like a $10 holster.
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor/Ohio CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 22:53   #21
sawgrass

Quote:
.45 cal Colt Defender
One of my Current favorites!! Looking for a holster.

Quote:
I carry in a Kramer Leather IWB holster that has sheepskin on my skin side.
Linda, can you describe this a little more? I have leather holsters, and
if you are walking alot, they tend to rub. I have to wear a tank underneath
my outer shirt. It's gets a little warm.

Quote:
A $10 belt will make your $100 holster feel like a $10 holster.
I agree. It's a fact.

SG
Old 10-07-2009, 23:06   #22
OgenRwot
Politico

My wife will be getting her CCW soon. This question has come up quite a bit around the house. She's tall and skinny so on the body is extremely difficult. She typically wears jeans/shorts and a somewhat tightly fitting top like a girls cut tshirt or tank top. She's not going to dress "frumpy" and I can't blame her for not wanting to. I'll be watching this thread for ideas so keep them coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
We're the coolest guys on the internet. Friday night and we're talking about tap water on an online forum....
OgenRwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 00:19   #23
sawgrass

Quote:
She's tall and skinny
Interesting, I'm not tall or particularly skinny. Finding the right
carry has been a challenge. I would REALLY like to have your WIFE
CHIME IN with her thoughts on this topic.

Seems like, tall-short, bigger-smaller, women face their own challenges
in finding comfortable carry. Something is always pushing on something
depending upon the size of the gun. Boobs, hips, ribs, etc...,

All this time, I thought my issues, were "vertically challenged, and being shaped like a "girl".

SG
Old 10-08-2009, 00:44   #24
Luli

Quote:
Interesting, I'm not tall or particularly skinny. Finding the right
carry has been a challenge. I would REALLY like to have your WIFE
CHIME IN with her thoughts on this topic.

Seems like, tall-short, bigger-smaller, women face their own challenges
in finding comfortable carry. Something is always pushing on something
depending upon the size of the gun. Boobs, hips, ribs, etc...,

All this time, I thought my issues, were "vertically challenged, and being shaped like a "girl".

SG
That's why I posted for my wife, since she does want to carry, I need to know what some other women's experiences have been. The reason I mentioned her body height/shape is in the hopes that another woman on here who might identify with her height shape can throw in some input for her. She does not want to create an account on the forums yet (I'm hoping as she carrys more that might change,) because of some of the things she has seen reading over my shoulder. So I bring the issues to you and let her tell me what her concerns are and let her read the post and replies. I love the fact that this site has a womens forum that I can brong some concerns of mine to my wifes attentionj through a womens eyes to my wife and coworkers. Mrs. Kitty's post on her potential car jacking (although I feel it was more of an attempted kidnapping,) has made a huge impact in many women's lives that I know after I pronted it out and shared it. Thank you all for your input.

edited for gramatical reasons, these gloves I have to wear at work make typing hard somtimes.
Luli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:40   #25
Linda

Here's the link to the hoslter that I referred to:

http://kramerleather.com/productDeta...&categoryID=23

Yes, it's pricey. BUT, a good horsehide leather holster will last many, many years. This holster is so comfortable, I can wear it 18 hours a day without any discomfort. I spent A LOT of $$ on junk holsters before "biting the bullet" and buying my Kramer holster. Way more than what I spent on this one. Now, if I's switching carry guns, I will not buy the gun if Kramer doesn't make the holster for it.
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor/Ohio CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote