Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-17-2012, 19:14   #1
travDMH

Gunsite CCO

I just got back from Gunsite and saw they have the Gunsite Colt CCO's going for $1100.

I started a thread a while back asking about 3 inch 1911's it seems there are some reliability issues with them. The concept of the CCO seems great, the small frame with the 4.25 inch barrel.

Does anybody have any experience with the Gunsite CCO, would you guys recommend it to carry? I am looking at purchasing one. I was so close to buying a CDP before I went to Gunsite...so many options out there

Bonus question- What are some thoughts on the RCP II...my friend is looking to sell his to me.
Old 03-17-2012, 19:16   #2
Lethaltxn

Not the colt but I do carry a Springfield armory compact. Same configuration as the CCO. I love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Lew Horton Springfield Compact 1911
Springfield Loaded
Lethaltxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 21:12   #3
glock2740
Gun lover.

I'm a big CCO fan. Great CC 1911.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:48   #4
skipsan

I purchased a Gunsite CCO new, from an on-line dealer a few years ago for $1195. Nice pistol. Not especially tightly fit, but plenty good enough. The rollmarks are typically cratered which is typical, I assume for modern Colts. Shouldn't be, but it's purely cosmetic. The only issue I had was with Colt 6 rd mags--couldn't get them hold the slide open on the last round.
Tripp spring and follower kits fixed that. No problem with lswc ammo. I've thought about having a gold bead installed on the front sight post, but haven't gotten to that yet.

I suspect that the pistols currently being sold are old stock from the original production run years ago. Mine was made in 2005, and purchased in 2008. I don't think they were especially hot sellers.
skipsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:47   #5
PlasticGuy

I have one of the new TALO Colt CCO's. It's big enough to be reliable and to shoot well, and small enough to carry easily. Nice gun. You could do a whole lot worse.
Old 03-18-2012, 14:21   #6
FLSlim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGuy View Post
I have one of the new TALO Colt CCO's. It's big enough to be reliable and to shoot well, and small enough to carry easily. Nice gun. You could do a whole lot worse.
I have the Talo model too and find it to be a great size/weight for 1911 carry. It has been quite reliable. The Gunsite product should be similar, but if I recall it does have some enhancements (NS and maybe trigger) which I think would make it worth a few extra dollars.
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 15:33   #7
travDMH

Now I'm looking into the STI Guardian and DW CCO too. Too many options...part of me still really wants a 3inch 1911 but ive just about convinced myself that going below 4 is rolling the dice.

Guess I cant go wrong with Colt, STI, or DW...decisions decisions
Old 03-18-2012, 16:10   #8
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I don't know if the Gunsite CCO is different than the other Colt Gunsite - by that I mean Colt makes the gun with the Raven on it as opposed to Gunsite smithies modifying the pistol.

I know that the Colt Gunsite current production guns are not touched by Gunsite smithies; akins to the SW Gunsite that isn't touched by SW Performance Center. Personally I think it's lame by Gunsite to have Colt & SW makes "Gunsite" models straight from the factory without any true Gunsite smithies working on these guns.

Anyway, I'm happy with my Talo CCO. It had to go back to Colt because it shot 3-4" low at 10 & 15-yds respectively. But it's fixed now and Colt threw in a steel mainspring housing to replace the plastic stock one with no charge.

PS I'm not a fan of the Officer's size frame. I bought the Talo CCO just for the hell of it than anything.

Last edited by fnfalman; 03-18-2012 at 16:11..
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 21:17   #9
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethaltxn View Post
Not the colt but I do carry a Springfield armory compact. Same configuration as the CCO. I love it.
Same here. The only thing I would change about it is the ramped barrel. A standard barrel with plastic followers would be better.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 21:55   #10
sns3guppy

The CCO concept is a commander length slide on a officer length frame, so if you're seeing a 3" barrel on a "CCO," it's probably not a CCO.

It should be a 4 1/4" bbl.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 22:01   #11
travDMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns3guppy View Post
The CCO concept is a commander length slide on a officer length frame, so if you're seeing a 3" barrel on a "CCO," it's probably not a CCO.

Who are you talking to?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:18   #12
sns3guppy

Does it matter?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:36   #13
chakup

Quote:
Originally Posted by travDMH View Post
Who are you talking to?
I think he forgot to read the whole sentence and focused in on 3" for some reason..
chakup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:49   #14
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:

READING is fundamental!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 22:47   #15
Glocklvr

You mentioned that you had considered a CDP. Just some info on that particular .45 I carry the Kimber CDP Compact DAILY. I have owned it for two years now and have had zero problems with it. It is light weight accurate and the officers grip frame makes concealability much easier. I work in an office type setting with over 30 people so concealment is a HUGE issue. Most issues with reliability and the shorter bbls have been eliminated by Kimbers use of bushingless bull bbls. The Ambi safety on the Kimber does not need relief cut on right grip panel so it also well suited to replacing factory grips with "thin" grips. The Mep night sights are very bright and provide excellent lo light sight picture. On the Negative side, I find the finish on the alloy frame to be fragile. I hope this has provided you with some features to consider. Trust me if I had problems or issues with the Kimber I would not be carring one everyday. Good Luck
Glocklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:14   #16
sns3guppy

Quote:
I think he forgot to read the whole sentence and focused in on 3" for some reason..
Not so much forgot, as missed it entirely. Good guess, though.
Quote:
READING is fundamental!
Shoot first, ask questions later. It's far easier to manipulate the answers.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:47   #17
Nalapombu

I LOVE the CCO 1911's, especially the ones with the alloy frames. I remember when Colt announced it on the 1911 forums. At first they were talking about a price of around $800 or so, but when it came out it ballooned up to almost $1200. Those that had them really liked them. I don't recall reading hardly any complaints about them, but then again this was in the COLT subforum which is full of people who LOVE COLTS. Pretty honest people though and if it did stink, I believe they would've said so.

The new TALO CCO is also very nice.

You should take a loot at the Kimber Compact CDP. Almost the same size, but it has a 4 inch barrel instead of the 4.25 inch the CCO has. SIG also makes a couple really nice CCO sized 1911's. I handled one the other day at the shop and was really impressed with the looks, feel and how it handled. I wouldn't mind having one. Can't remember the model though, something to do with C3 I think. SIG makes a TON of 1911 variants, check 'em out.

Those Dan Wesson 1911's get a lot of very good reports. The people that have them really like them. I think their new CCO is going to be just as good as their CBOB was. I almost bought one a few years back. Beautiful pistol with a great trigger. Fit and finish were great.

Good luck in your search and post pics and a report when you decide what you are going to buy.

Nalajr
Old 03-20-2012, 06:32   #18
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:

Shoot first, ask questions later. It's far easier to manipulate the answers.

Just calling it the way I see it in type,.........why not admit that you misread the OP's post!
Old 03-20-2012, 13:51   #19
travDMH

Lol

Anywan, I'm planning on purchasing the DW CCO tomorrow. Is $1335 out the door a good price?
Old 03-20-2012, 13:58   #20
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by travDMH View Post
Lol

Anywan, I'm planning on purchasing the DW CCO tomorrow. Is $1335 out the door a good price?

Out the door price? That is very fair, if I did not have a Springer Compact
sitting at Rogers Precision I would buy a DW CCO,....great CCW!