Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:38   #1
TurboTalon

Check out this hi power!

Not to familiar with these guns but I know that it feels great in my hands! At first sight I didn't not like the 2 tone but it's been growing on me, especially seeing it forsale for the 3rd week in a row

Only thing I know about the gun is that it is a FNH that also says browning on it with some Israeli military marking. What do you guys think the value for something like this would be?
Attached Thumbnails
The Browning Hi Power Club - Click for larger version  
TurboTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 15:33   #2
Road Dog

Just off the top of my head I would say $550-6.

RD
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 15:43   #3
hvac-12

I would give it a range of $1,000.00 - $1,200.00
hvac-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 16:18   #4
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I like the finish, but ...

Used, by military? How used?
Refinished professionally? Why? Not a collectors item now.

Then there are the details that true collectors know about.
Old 11-22-2014, 00:55   #5
TurboTalon

After some research the marking that it has (star of David) is just a Israeli proof not a military marking.
Old 11-22-2014, 14:28   #6
ca survivor

grips alone are $60.00+ that don't go with the rest of the gun BTW. gun $500.00 $550.00.
Old 11-22-2014, 16:41   #7
KML

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTalon View Post
After some research the marking that it has (star of David) is just a Israeli proof not a military marking.
A lot of Israeli Hi Powers came in about two years ago . The finish on them was really bad after years of being used. They were were selling around here for $400/$500. Somebody did a after market refinsh on this one. I would not add much to it money wise ,I'd say it's still around $600.
KML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 17:16   #8
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

TurboTalon, how much do they want for it?
Old 11-22-2014, 19:04   #9
TurboTalon

Rwblue they want 699 for it and would not budge on price at all. It does have some trigger work done apparently.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:29   #10
sub-moa

WADR Turbo, everyone who responded to your query in the "General Firearms" sub-forum suggested...based just upon your limited description, that $699 was too high. That was even before you posted the pic .

Having viewed the pic, I would alter my "NO" suggestion there to "HELL NO" regarding the $699 asking price. Based upon the pitting and dings...still visible under the paint, the Vigilante Bump 'n Hump sights, the mismatched…at very least, hammer and perhaps frame/slide, it was probably one of the $325/$350 pistols when it was first retailed out. Someone did nothing more than paint it...over the pitting and dings no less , and added a set of VZ "like"...there are counterfeits, grips. As far as the "trigger job"? By whom? How? .

If you actually decided to use this pistol for EDC/SD duties, you’d likely have the feedramp modified for SD ammunition, springs replaced, a useable set of sights installed…milling required , and a more easily manipulated thumb safety installed. You’d then have about $1000 in what’s most likely a very well used…and perhaps abused, surplus pistol .
sub-moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 21:19   #11
KappaAlphaASU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub-moa View Post
WADR Turbo, everyone who responded to your query in the "General Firearms" sub-forum suggested...based just upon your limited description, that $699 was too high. That was even before you posted the pic .

Having viewed the pic, I would alter my "NO" suggestion there to "HELL NO" regarding the $699 asking price. Based upon the pitting and dings...still visible under the paint, the Vigilante Bump 'n Hump sights, the mismatched…at very least, hammer and perhaps frame/slide, it was probably one of the $325/$350 pistols when it was first retailed out. Someone did nothing more than paint it...over the pitting and dings no less , and added a set of VZ "like"...there are counterfeits, grips. As far as the "trigger job"? By whom? How? .

If you actually decided to use this pistol for EDC/SD duties, you’d likely have the feedramp modified for SD ammunition, springs replaced, a useable set of sights installed…milling required , and a more easily manipulated thumb safety installed. You’d then have about $1000 in what’s most likely a very well used…and perhaps abused, surplus pistol .
+1 on this. I love Hi-Powers, but I'd probably pass on this one. If you want one to use and shoot a lot, You can pick up a modern, used Hi-Power from an individual for very reasonable. I have a Hi-Power Practical that's 20 years old and flawless that I picked up for that price.
KappaAlphaASU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 00:43   #12
maxmanta

I've been seeing a few of these lately in the LGS's. They all have the "Fabrique Nationale Herstal Belgique" rollmark on the slide and the Star of David on the frame. They all seem to be pretty worn and painted over.

They're going for about $650 around here, but I wouldn't pay more than $450.00.
maxmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 00:53   #13
sub-moa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaAlphaASU View Post
+1 on this. I love Hi-Powers, but I'd probably pass on this one. If you want one to use and shoot a lot, You can pick up a modern, used Hi-Power from an individual for very reasonable. I have a Hi-Power Practical that's 20 years old and flawless that I picked up for that price.
Case in point, I posted this on the other thread OP started asking about this pistol...yes there are 2 threads :

"Right on cue , 3 hours after I posted the link to the near flawless "excellent condition commercial MkIII BHP that is ready to go out of the box" w/ 2 factory magazines ( http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=453528100 ), it SOLD for the Starting Bid of $595...YES, over $100 less than the surplus pistol that started this whole thing off. I sure hope the OP is the new...and very happy owner "

Last edited by sub-moa; 11-24-2014 at 00:57.. Reason: SP
Old 11-24-2014, 03:49   #14
KappaAlphaASU

Quote:
Case in point, I posted this on the other thread OP started asking about this pistol...yes there are 2 threads :

"Right on cue , 3 hours after I posted the link to the near flawless "excellent condition commercial MkIII BHP that is ready to go out of the box" w/ 2 factory magazines ( http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=453528100 ), it SOLD for the Starting Bid of $595...YES, over $100 less than the surplus pistol that started this whole thing off. I sure hope the OP is the new...and very happy owner "
Lord I hope so! That's actually a very good price on a wonderful pistol, IMO. I know the Hi-Power collectors wont hardly look at them unless they are Belgian guns, but for all practical purposes, the MkIII is just fine.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:50   #15
KappaAlphaASU

FYI, for the OP, if you have not priced factory Hi-Power mags, they can get a little pricey. I would suggest a few Mec-Gar mags.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:43   #16
sub-moa

Not that it matters now, but I just discovered...something I'd imagine everyone else here already knew . Apparently much depends on how a pic is posted in a thread and when done optimally one can open the pic here in the thread, enlarge the pic here in the thread, and then save it as a picture elsewhere, where one can then enlarge it again. Ain't this web stuff somethin' ?

Anyway, regarding the portion of my posted assessment of yesterday morning; "the mismatched…at very least, hammer and perhaps frame/slide": I suggested the mismatch was obviously the case and I based that upon recognizing the slide as a Type 73 utilized by FN from...duh, '73 through the '80s (and…based upon the final machining of this slide, likely '80s) and the fact that the frame obviously is fitted with a ring hammer...which was superseded by the spur hammer '71/'72. A mismatch for sure, but I hedged my bet...and said so as one just couldn't tell for sure whether it was just a replacement ring hammer or the entire frame that was a mismatch for that slide. Enlarging the pic as described above allowed the very faint...but readable if one is familiar with what to look for, Belgian Proof and Final Inspection Mark to appear under the new paint. Long story short, the frame was assembled and final inspected as a complete pistol between '51 and '59.

And so ends this little puzzle …..
Old 11-25-2014, 19:42   #17
TurboTalon

Thanks for the reply everyone! I feel all your advice was very helpful for a gun I had no idea about. I now got my eye on something else and will look for a cheaper more original hi power.

Go figure as I go in to get my downpayment back the guy starts showing me a west german sig p226 with short reset trigger. Another gun I've been wanting for a long time. Also priced high at 700.
Old 11-28-2014, 20:08   #18
jmacmiami

Great info on the photo enhancement. Additionally, if you have Microsoft Word, you can copy and paste a photo onto a blank word document and then increase the light, contrast, tone, and enlarge it as well. As you stated, it helps to bring out otherwise hidden flaws, marks, and numbers. This will work on any photos that are posted.

Quote:

jmacmiami is offline   Reply With Quote