Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-19-2009, 19:24   #1
gsqrd1

Use of the "Original Clipdraw"

I just received my "Clipdraw" for my Glock 30SF and was dismayed to see the following stamped into the metal of the Clipdraw "WARNING: NOT FOR USE WITH GUN IN THE READY TO FIRE CONDITION." This admonition goes a step or two further than the warning in the Glock owners Manual which says "Do not cary the pistol in the ready to fire condition. This is not the recommended safe-carrying method for civilian use. To minimize risk of unintentional discharge, load live ammunition into the pistol only when you are ready to shoot." The Glock warning is a generic CYA statement; however, the Clipdraw imprint specificall states the Clipdraw is not for use with a gun in the ready to fire condition. Anyone have any experience with the Clipdraw? Is there something that negates the Glock safe action trigger when you install the cover plate that comes withe the Clipdraw?
Old 10-19-2009, 19:30   #2
DannyR

Yes, the absence of a holster to cover and protect the trigger. Carrying with a clipdraw and a round chambered is the most dangerous way to carry a Glock that I know of.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 19:31   #3
E-Money

With the Clipdraw, there is NOTHING covering the trigger/trigger guard protecting it from accidentally being pulled/pushed/activated. Anything that gets into the trigger guard could easily activate the trigger and make you have a tremendously bad day.

The only way to carry a Glock safely is with something that covers the entire trigger guard therefore eliminating the potential for something to "sneak in" and make it go bang.

For giggles, make sure the gun is unloaded and no ammo is in the room, then rack the slide and "holster it". See how easy/difficult it could be for something to catch the trigger. In jeans - you might not have too much of an issue due to the thicker material, but depending on where you carry it could fall on top of a pocket, which is very thin material.
E-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 19:33   #4
E-Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
Yes, the absence of a holster to cover and protect the trigger. Carrying with a clipdraw and a round chambered is the most dangerous way to carry a Glock that I know of.
Actually, I think carrying a chambered Glock with nothing at all but the support of a waistband is the most dangerous. Plaxico comes to mind. At least the clipdraw would try to keep it from falling down your sweatpants!!
E-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:45   #5
English

There are lots of threads on this with lots of hands thrown up in horror but looked at rationally the situation is far from terrifying.

The warning is to give legal cover to ClipDraw but how many accidental discharges do we hear about relative to the hudreds of thousand they have sold? The use of the back plate makes no difference to the action of the trigger and you can, if you wish, get a version which sticks to the frame or slide.

Something soft and flexible just poking into the trigger guard will not fire the pistol unless something on the far side traps it to form a restrained loop. This happens far too often with proper holsters because the very thing that is supposed to protect the trigger while it is in the holster provides the means of pulling the trigger as you holster. This is actually a lesser risk with a ClipDraw than with a conventional holster. In both cases it is important to look down as you re-holster to make sure that nothing in intruding into the trigger guard. I think there is actually a slight safety advantage to the ClipDraw in this respect.

When it is in place, your belt protects the trigger remarkably well and unless you have very strange protuberances on your body there is nothing on the other side to pull the trigger either. It is easy to convince yourself of this - just cock the pistol without a round in the chamber, clip it on your belt and see how you can get it to "fire" from pressure against something on the outside.

The ClipDraw sounds dangerous until you examine how it can go wrong. It has the advantage of being a thinner package at your waist and of being discardable as a unit if you have to leave your pistol somewhere. It has the disadvantage of not holding the pistol in as fixed a position as a holster and is therefore slower to draw. it is easy to move it from 4O'clock to 2 O'clock to 10 O'clock as your situation changes - driving a car, sitting in a restaurant, wearing a jacket or wearing an untucked shirt.

English
English is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:06   #6
ron59
Bustin Caps

People who use the ClipDraw and want to carry one in the chamber usually use the "Safety Block", or whatever it's called. It's hardened plastic/rubber that fits in the trigger guard, preventing trigger from accidentally being activated. Yet, once you pull the gun, you can easily push the Safety Block out with your forefinger, making the gun ready to go.

The owner of my indoor gun range does this, as do several of the workers. I've toyed with the system (unloaded guns)... it seems reliable. Personally.... I use the Crossbreed Supertuck.

Quote:
“WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!”
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:07   #7
smokey45

Send a message via ICQ to smokey45
Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post
There are lots of threads on this with lots of hands thrown up in horror but looked at rationally the situation is far from terrifying.

The warning is to give legal cover to ClipDraw but how many accidental discharges do we hear about relative to the hudreds of thousand they have sold? The use of the back plate makes no difference to the action of the trigger and you can, if you wish, get a version which sticks to the frame or slide.

Something soft and flexible just poking into the trigger guard will not fire the pistol unless something on the far side traps it to form a restrained loop. This happens far too often with proper holsters because the very thing that is supposed to protect the trigger while it is in the holster provides the means of pulling the trigger as you holster. This is actually a lesser risk with a ClipDraw than with a conventional holster. In both cases it is important to look down as you re-holster to make sure that nothing in intruding into the trigger guard. I think there is actually a slight safety advantage to the ClipDraw in this respect.

When it is in place, your belt protects the trigger remarkably well and unless you have very strange protuberances on your body there is nothing on the other side to pull the trigger either. It is easy to convince yourself of this - just cock the pistol without a round in the chamber, clip it on your belt and see how you can get it to "fire" from pressure against something on the outside.

The ClipDraw sounds dangerous until you examine how it can go wrong. It has the advantage of being a thinner package at your waist and of being discardable as a unit if you have to leave your pistol somewhere. It has the disadvantage of not holding the pistol in as fixed a position as a holster and is therefore slower to draw. it is easy to move it from 4O'clock to 2 O'clock to 10 O'clock as your situation changes - driving a car, sitting in a restaurant, wearing a jacket or wearing an untucked shirt.

English
MY GOD! What's this! Why it's rational thinking!!!

Yeah, I've got a "ClipDraw", use it too. Works great with my mdl 36. Nothing in my pants that will fit in the trigger guard to pull the trigger.
I don't carry an unloaded gun.
The CYA disclaimer is pretty much mandatory these days. It's totally impossible to "Idiot Proof" everything.

s45
Old 10-20-2009, 06:11   #8
bennwj
Silver Membership
CSM

Send a message via MSN to bennwj Send a message via Yahoo to bennwj Send a message via Skype™ to bennwj
Oh Lord......here we go again.

--attributed to two people: Barack Obama and George Armstrong Custer.
bennwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:30   #9
Menehune

I looked at one, but the thought of an uncovered trigger just isn't a good one to me. The thought would be on my mind that something could snag the trigger from the outside, through my pants. Or reach in to get a wallet and snag it somehow.

I figure why, when there are so many other options out there that do the same job, better? Even a cheap Uncle Mikes sleeve holster holds the gun on place better than the clip draw did. It rocked around too easily and even worked it's way around on the belt.

I know people say "Oh, it's a comfort thing." I don't even feel my good holsters, such as the Crossbreed supertuck. At first, it looks like a large piece of leather, but damn if it doesn't just mold right to me and spread the weight of the gun across a wider area. Not to mention, a good holster keeps the gun from poking you and whatnot, by seperating the gun from your body, with leather, kydex, etc...

Just not my cup of tea I guess.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:27   #10
deadday

Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post

English
You mean there is actually someone else on GlockTalk that understands how the ClipDraw system works? I carry my PF9 regularly, with a round in the chamber, with the ClipDraw system....sometimes IWB, sometimes OWB, sometimes in my boot...
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:20   #11
PBRLite

I have one on my G-27 and G-36. I carry them with one in the pipe.

But I decided to install 8 lb connectors on both guns as well. I also rounded the edges on the mag release with some 400 grit so it doesn't dig into my flesh.

Last edited by PBRLite; 10-20-2009 at 09:24..
PBRLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28   #12
SLVR JDM

I wouldn't carry anything without a covered trigger, but that is a personal preference.
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:56   #13
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

With or without a holster or carry device covering the trigger, everyone knows that Glocks shoot all by themselves.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Thanks, but I typically don't follow the advice of condescending dolts." -GT's own: badge315
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:26   #14
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

I just ordered up a few Vanguard "holsters" and I am pretty certain these will be *Da Bomb* for me...
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946986

Covers the entire trigger guard, thinnest 'holster' on the market... just need a sweat shield for the AZ summers... and all will be good!

HTH

Download YOUR copy of

My Gift to You, AND it's >FREE<
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:37   #15
furioso2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
Here's another: I carry a 10mm Glock with the barrel in my mouth, chambered, Vanek super grand master trigger, and I rest my thumb against the trigger so that I don't accidentally

KA-BLAMMO!!!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:42   #16
MSgt Dotson

After reading this thread, I've decided to start carrying my Para P14 in Condition "O" (hamer back, safety off), but will pin the grip safety as well...;I will then simply shove it into my wasteband, and hope there are no stray jeans rivets/seams or shirt tails that can ever possibly enter the trigger gaurd unintentionally.

I mean, what could go wrong?
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:07   #17
deadday

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioso2112 View Post
Here's another: I carry a 10mm Glock with the barrel in my mouth, chambered, Vanek super grand master trigger, and I rest my thumb against the trigger so that I don't accidentally

KA-BLAMMO!!!!!
Uhmmmm....whiskey tango foxtrot, over?
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:09   #18
deadday

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post
After reading this thread, I've decided to start carrying my Para P14 in Condition "O" (hamer back, safety off), but will pin the grip safety as well...;I will then simply shove it into my wasteband, and hope there are no stray jeans rivets/seams or shirt tails that can ever possibly enter the trigger gaurd unintentionally.

Old 10-20-2009, 13:08   #19
BhamGlock

So there are folks on here that actually that carry with a round chambered using that clipdraw thing?? Well.... it's still a free country, so more power to ya!

Last edited by BhamGlock; 10-20-2009 at 13:30.. Reason: spelling - county != country
BhamGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 13:14   #20
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post

Now that is one of the stupidest things I've ever read concerning how to carry a gun.

You do realize of course that utilizing a pin on the grip safety may not be such a good idea. Right? I mean people that know about his sort of thing would never recommend such a foolish act. They would use duct tape around the entire grip as pins have a tendency to fall out and letting the grip safety reengage.

"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Thanks, but I typically don't follow the advice of condescending dolts." -GT's own: badge315
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote