Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2010, 17:54   #1
Climb14er

Have my eyes on either the G20 or G29...

Hi folks, fairly longtime member on GT... this is for the back country use... a few questions, could use some solid feedback.

Over the years, I narrowed down my caliber to two: 9mm in a G19 and P226 and .45ACP in a Sig P220. My CCW is the G19, been so for quite a few years. No problems with the round or the gun.

I've spent well in excess of thirty five years on Colorado's high peaks and deep in the back country of Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico and the West in general. This is what the 10mm would be for.

Two years ago, I survived an armed invasion in my home, in Denver, in a good neighborhood. Bottom line: this baby boomer installed a $2000.00 security system in the house and have been thinking of back country protection as well.

Granted, I've never had a problem in the back country... then again, I never had a problem in my house and neighborhood before.

Was seriously looking at a 629 pinned and recessed .44Magnum for the back country... then began reading about the alternative G20/G29 instead of either the .44Magnum or the .41Magnum.

With that said, I've been leaning towards the G20SF. However, there are many posts in favor of the G29SF. Both fit my shooting hand well and I like the balance of the G20.

Thoughts between the two pistols... with emphasis on back country and travel use?

I would typically carry in a Safepacker... and place on order one of Milt Sparks' OWB holster like the NLG which I have for all my pistols. The G19 also has the Watch Six and a Bulman PDL for IWB. The G20/G29 might be OWB'ed and not IWB'ed.

Appreciate your thoughts in advance.
Old 01-14-2010, 18:44   #2
uz2bUSMC
10mm defender

Well, since you have the CCW thing covered, I would say you need to look towards the 20. Buy a 6"bbl and some good sights for accuracy and you now have a package that covers close range all the way out to intermediate distances (50') that holds 16, 800ft.lb+ cartridges. Two-legged... four-legged, you pretty much got it covered with energy, penetration, volume or all of it combined.

- "Our country went through a transition during the last election where the parasites came together and outnumbered the hosts." -jdavionic
uz2bUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 21:48   #3
Rob Oertel

G20 and shotgun for car camping. G29 for hiking with ten 200 gr fmj fp and fifteen 200 gr HP in the pack. I have found that as the population has increased here in Colorado so has my contact with people I'd rather not contact. As far as critters, I don,t get to nervous about bears but I think mtn lions are getting to be a bigger and bigger concern. By the way I have lived in Colorado for twenty eight years.
Rob Oertel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 21:58   #4
Rob Oertel

I love my .44 mag superblack hawks and will carry my short barrel on occasion, however, I enjoy the added round capacity and faster reload of the semi autos. G locks are plenty weather resistant and think they carry better than the bit larger .44s.

Last edited by Rob Oertel; 01-14-2010 at 22:04..
Rob Oertel is offline   Reply With Quote