SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-28-2009, 19:50   #1
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Tech Sights on a Marlin 60

The factory open sights on the Marlin 60 are just awful, so I threw a scope on.

Then I found I really wasn't enjoying plinking with a scope - too easy, and no good field of view.

I decided to go back to iron sights, but there really isn't much in the form of aftermarket sights for the Marlin. Williams Firesights are about it, and while they are better than the stock I don't much care for them. There are a few peep sights that might work, including a Williams receiver mounted peep sight (around $40), but most internet rimfire forums indicated it would constantly loosen and shift it's adjustments under heavy use.

Tech Sights ( http://www.tech-sights.com/ ) has a GI style peep sight and replacement AR style front sight available for $69. A bit expensive, but most reviews indicated that it is the cat's ***, solidly mounted and supremely accurate. After some hemming and hawing about a sight that cost 1/2 of what the rifle cost, I went ahead and bit the bullet today.

The guy answering the phone was friendly and helpful, and I now feel good about ordering a set.

I'll post pics and a review once they arrive in a few days.

From the website:

Rimfire Forum
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 20:15   #2
mdhandyman

They do look real nice. I would like to know how well you like them an if cats *** is the right terminology.
mdhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 20:33   #3
1985 4Runner
Agitator

As a 60 owner that loves to shoot, looking forward to your review.

Obama will prove to be the worst mistake the American people ever made.
1985 4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 21:46   #4
gnepig
Remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 4Runner View Post
As a 60 owner that loves to shoot, looking forward to your review.

Yeah, me too...
I really like the looks of those. I have 2 of the Model 60s and the one with the scope is just as you said, a little too easy to shoot (but the wife loves it).
gnepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 13:22   #5
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Update...

The sights arrived today.

Shipping was by USPS First Class, took 3 days. Shipping costs are a flat $6. Reasonable.

This is the package the sights come in. They come with instructions, front sight, front sight screw, rear sight (already assembled), an allen wrench, and some information on the Appleseed Project. I also ordered a $5 option, the spanner wrench, to ease in sight adjustment. I understand this is not needed, though.

Rimfire Forum

Looks good... except for this part. I had thought these were US made. They ain't.

Rimfire Forum

First impressions of the sights were that they are quality kit. The rear sight was heavy, felt tough; and had positive detents for windage and elevation. None of this vague spinning screw or mallet to the dovetail method of adjustment. The front sight has large, heavy protective ears, and a nicely tapered AR-style removeable post.

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

Continued below due to image size restrictions...
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
Old 11-02-2009, 13:23   #6
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

Mounting was easy, took 5 minutes. I used red loctite, since I had no blue loctite. The sight picture with the peep is much improved over the factory red ryder sights. In addition, there is a 6" longer sight radius, and the sights sit up a bit higher, which is nice since a common complaint of 60 owners is that the stock forces your head up to far and makes using iron sights tough.

The sights look good on the rifle. That's a Rock Mount bipod, before anyone asks.

Rimfire Forum

Next up, range time! Stay tuned...
Old 11-02-2009, 15:22   #7
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

I did a few hundred rounds just now, sighting in the rifle and getting a feel for the sights.

First, I have no real experience with peep sights. I was never in the military, and I don't own a M1 or M4, in fact this 60 is the only rifle I own. I'm more of a handgun guy. I have shot a few iron sighted M4's in my time, but only maybe 100 rounds total.

OK, on to the shooting: The inital shots were significantly high and right, and in order to get them to point of aim I had to adjust the rear sight almost all the way to the left, which kind of feels lopsided.

The spanner wrench is a worthless tool for the 60 (maybe not for the 10/22), a small screwdriver or similarly hard and pointy object will work better. Save your $5.

The sights felt natural to use, and were more precise than the factory sights. I was able to acquire the target faster and more comfortably. The extra height is noticeable, and feels better than the factory sights. The sights didn't shift during shooting.

My groups were slightly smaller than with the factory sights.

At 25 yards I was able to keep 30 rounds in the space of a few inches, fairly fast firing, at a seated position:

Rimfire Forum

At longer ranges the groups opened up a bit, but still "minute of cat" at 50 yards.

I don't typically shoot longer ranges than that.

Overall, I'm satisfied. These are nice sights and a step up from the factory sights. However, I cannot in good conscience say they are worth $80 shipped (or $75 shipped if you don't get the spanner wrench). I think a more realistic price would be around $50, and that was if they were US made.
Old 11-02-2009, 18:53   #8
1985 4Runner
Agitator

"Minute of cat"

My 60 is scoped but I may have to get another & mount the tech sight.

Rimfire Forum

Obama will prove to be the worst mistake the American people ever made.
1985 4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 20:37   #9
Usagi

I love the Tech-Sights on my Marlin M60. Very accurate. Easy to adjust.

Not to hijack, or start stuff, but I liked the adjustment tool for only $5.

I'll agree the sights should only cost $50 - tops. Not that they are made cheaply, but they are overpriced at $75.
Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 21:10   #10
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usagi View Post
I love the Tech-Sights on my Marlin M60. Very accurate. Easy to adjust.

Not to hijack, or start stuff, but I liked the adjustment tool for only $5.

I'll agree the sights should only cost $50 - tops. Not that they are made cheaply, but they are overpriced at $75.
Is your rear sight adjusted all the way to the left, too? Mine had to be moved after I took the pictures, otherwise the rifle would be shooting significantly to the right.
Old 11-05-2009, 21:58   #11
gnepig
Remember

I like these sites alot on my ARs and on one of my shotguns, when I get the dough I will try a set.. Now I need to find a cool asult lookin muzzle break to finish off the tactical look.
gnepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:30   #12
Usagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Is your rear sight adjusted all the way to the left, too? Mine had to be moved after I took the pictures, otherwise the rifle would be shooting significantly to the right.
No, mine was way high, but almost spot on left and right.

Since yours had to be adjusted all the way to the left, I wonder if the drilled hole on your Marlin isn't canted a bit. If that's the case, it would obviously be Marlin's fault and not tech-sight's. I have an AR with the same problem.
Old 11-06-2009, 13:06   #13
1911Ron

Quick question are you left eye dominent/righthanded? I am and mine are almost all of the way left. 1911Ron
1911Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 13:06   #14
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
No, mine was way high, but almost spot on left and right.

Since yours had to be adjusted all the way to the left, I wonder if the drilled hole on your Marlin isn't canted a bit. If that's the case, it would obviously be Marlin's fault and not tech-sight's. I have an AR with the same problem.
You mena the drilled hole for the front sight? Could be. Oh well, they work fine, just not asthetically pleasing!
Old 11-06-2009, 13:07   #15
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Ron View Post
Quick question are you left eye dominent/righthanded? I am and mine are almost all of the way left. 1911Ron

I absolutely am, good call. I shoot handguns with my left eye dominant but shoot rifles, out of necessity, with my right eye.
Old 04-25-2010, 15:06   #16
dehughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I absolutely am, good call. I shoot handguns with my left eye dominant but shoot rifles, out of necessity, with my right eye.
So, dredging the thread up from the grave...

Has anyone else had issue with the Tech Sights shooting far right (necessitating the rear peep being shifted far left)? I'm on the fence about buying a set for my Marlin 60SS....convince me.
dehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 22:48   #17
Usagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehughes View Post
So, dredging the thread up from the grave...

Has anyone else had issue with the Tech Sights shooting far right (necessitating the rear peep being shifted far left)? I'm on the fence about buying a set for my Marlin 60SS....convince me.
See my post above. In short... no.

In fact, went shooting today. My 60 & me, with Tech-sights, shot between 221 and 238 on some AQT's I'd printed up.
My Marlin 795 with scope was only able to get me a 206.
My Ruger 10/22 with factory sights got me a 196, and only jammed once (a record for this rifle!).
Old 04-26-2010, 00:24   #18
dehughes

Quote:
See my post above. In short... no.

In fact, went shooting today. My 60 & me, with Tech-sights, shot between 221 and 238 on some AQT's I'd printed up.
My Marlin 795 with scope was only able to get me a 206.
My Ruger 10/22 with factory sights got me a 196, and only jammed once (a record for this rifle!).
Cool. Well then, I'll just have to order a set, then, and hope my front ramp screw was lined up nicely with the rear dovetail at the factory.
dehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 17:33   #19
graycrait

I have Tech Sights on my CZ 452 Ultra Lux and on my Papoose:

Rimfire Forum
graycrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 21:26   #20
M4J0R T0M

I have Tech sights on my 10/22 and I love the sight picture.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:31   #21
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycrait View Post
I have Tech Sights on my CZ 452 Ultra Lux and on my Papoose:

Rimfire Forum

You need to get that front sight moved back a bit, the barrel threaded and put a can on it!
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:46   #22
triehl27

Teck Sights on a Mossbeg 802

I added Teck sights to a Mossberg 802 earlier this year. The only issue I have run into it the top of the mossberg reciever is curved and the tech sights are flat bottomed.

I was still able to get then on though, although they ae not attached as deeply into the rail goove as I would like

Overall they greatly improved the sight picture. Cutting groups significantly.

My only other thought is I would like to see the front sight more AR style compatible. i.e. threaded so you can easily move it up and down for adjustment.

"Standing or sitting when not lying down."

Actually in all truth, my boss doesn't know his own position, and since he's had it for 10 years he won't ask his boss what he actually is supposed to do.

Greatest Quote EVER:(In regards to Gecko_45's diatribe on body armor)
"If plan A is to take multiple rounds of .308 in your back, I'd come up with a Plan B"
triehl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 13:47   #23
graycrait

vafish,

I've been contemplating a suppressor for my .22s that will easily accept one: both 6" S&W 422 pistols, my Rimfire Technologies 10/22 .920 already threaded and of course the Papoose. I cut about an inch off the hollow synthetic Papoose stock and married up a surplus M16 trapdoor buttplate, making the modified Papoose the ultimate field rifle.

The Shoofly suppressor is built with a OD of .920 and would look just right on my .920 RT 10/22 barrel. With a JG selective Bolt Lock on my RT 10/22 I could have quiet shooting in semi or even quieter shooting by switching to "bolt action." Some say that the best thing in suppressed .22 pistols would be if ISSC would make threaded barrels for their M22.

RT barrelled 10/22
Rimfire Forum

ISSC M22
Rimfire Forum

422s
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/a...ait/422s-1.jpg
graycrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 18:53   #24
DriBak
GUNS UP

I just can't see paying more for sights than I did for the rifle. I have 3 Model 60's and the average price was 70 bucks