SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:43   #1
J_Rico

Reliability of Budget JHPs

Hello GTers,

There are plenty of debates here about the "best" defensive round. Not looking to start another.

IMO reliability is #1 when talking defensive ammo. Has anyone had any reliability issues with the budget jhps? The Remington bulk jhps or the WWB jhps?

My supply of "premium" ammo is finite. The supply line is shaky and unreliable. I may switch over to a budget line at some point as long as it feeds, goes bang and flies reasonably straight.

Thanks,
WB

Theodore Roosevelt
J_Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:30   #2
mclaren

WWB hollow points perform surprisingly well. I wouldn't use them if I had other choices though.
mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren View Post
WWB hollow points perform surprisingly well. I wouldn't use them if I had other choices though.
I agree.

The WinUSA 9mm (USA9JHP2) and .45ACP (USA45JHP) ammuniton is loaded with the same bullet that used to be (in) Winchester's LE ammo line years back and is still designated as "Personal Protection" on the box. While not "premium" by any stretch of the imagination, they'll do until you can find more of your primary ammunition selection.
481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:34   #4
Brucev

Given that few persons other than LEO will need to be able to shoot through the sheet metal or windshields of automobiles, it is debatable just how less than satisfactory are the less than premium loads currently available.

One can not help but wonder to what degree the emphasis on high-tech cutting edge development of the latest bullet/powder combination boils down to simply marketing of product to increase sales.

For instance, I remember with the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet hit the market. I have used this bullet and find it to be very effective. However, I have not found it to be superior in effect on game to the basic soft-point hunting bullets loaded in factory ammunition by Remington, Winchester, Federal, etc. Because I simply like them, I load and shoot the Nosler BT. But I cannot justify that choice on any real world observation. It would be of real interest if it were possible to compare the actual real world effectiveness of premium SD/HD loads to the more common JHP handgun loads currently marketed by the major ammunition manufacturers. Sincerely. Brucev.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 13:59   #5
MURRAY

if I had nothing else I may try this but I would rather bet my ass on a top of the line carry load plus alot of times you dont save that much more. I got a case of ranger T for 18 bucks a box in 9mm and 19 for the 40 cal I got. If I had to go low budget I would go with the GA arms gold dot loads but now a days most ammo isnt that much cheaper

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he is vigilant in its preservation" General Douglas MacArthur
MURRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 14:00   #6
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by weybug View Post
Hello GTers,

There are plenty of debates here about the "best" defensive round. Not looking to start another.

IMO reliability is #1 when talking defensive ammo. Has anyone had any reliability issues with the budget jhps? The Remington bulk jhps or the WWB jhps?

My supply of "premium" ammo is finite. The supply line is shaky and unreliable. I may switch over to a budget line at some point as long as it feeds, goes bang and flies reasonably straight.

Thanks,
WB
My problem w/ UMC or WWB is not the bullet but the ammo itself. It's of mediocre quality. That is not what I want to put into my SD pistol. I have no issues using not so premium Hornady, BlackHills for example.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 02-16-2010 at 23:11..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 14:08   #7
J_Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
My problem w/ UMC or WWB is not the bullet but the ammo itself. It's of mediocre quality. That is noit what I want to put into my SD pistol. I have no issues using not so premium Hornady, BlackHills for example.
Thank you for the reply, this is exactly the information that I was seeking.

Quality control not "performance". Have you seen QC issues? Ammo failures?

Theodore Roosevelt
J_Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 20:51   #8
G8Kpr
Sheep Dog

Quote:

Maybe I just use good equipment to feed it through, or I'm the luckiest MoFo alive, but I've NEVER EVER EVER had WWB 9 or 45 ACP or 45 GAP, FMJ or JHP, not go 'bang' first time or fail to feed/eject. I don't reload anymore so there was a time my entire ammo budget went through Wally World 100 rounds at a time for IDPA, range use, and just banging away at beer cans in the backwoods. No "OOPS. What happened there?". No "#*%@ POS cheap ammo!" Just bangity bang bang bang when I mashed the boom button.

As far as the JHP version? Never had to resort to it in 9mm because they all feed Gold Dots and/or DPX perfectly (Glock, Berretta, SiG), but if I got a 1911 that's chokin' and pukin' on GDHP's or HST's it gets Wilson mags first and WWB 230 JHP next. Guess what? They suddenly 'feel much better'. Ever Look at the ogive on the WWB JHP? Damn near hardball with a hole drilled in the end to expose the lead core.

I can't say from experience, but I'm pretty sure mister bump-in-the-night bad guy ain't gonna die laughin' 'cause he happens to recognize the tip of a WWB JHP 4 1/2 inches down that big dark tube in his face . Like someone said earlier: LE used this kind of 'low-tech' JHP for decades, and soldiers used hardball for almost 75 years - and a lot of men died!

A lot - definitely not all, but a lot - of what you see and hear recommended about ammo on forums like this, in gun shops, and at the range is just advertising, packaging, and vanity ("Yeah, well I carry the 'X-cut, bronze-coated, antimony core Destroyminator 230 +P+ Squared' in my (fill in the blank)! And I put 3 rounds down range twice a year to prove functionality [I know, big word], and then clean the gun for 3 hours before I EVER put it back in the holster.) Pffft, whatever you need to get you there, cammo commando.

To be sure, some rounds are more highly engineered, better designed, and (marginally) more effective on certain media and in certain tests than others, and Glocks don't 'choke and puke' on much from what I've seen. But ammo companies gotta get someone to pay for that R&D (for us lucky taxpayers, it's usually done through LE contracts) and I bet Mr. BG can't tell you the difference on the spot between a good solid thoracic hit as the result from lots of practice with WWB JHP or any other 'modern, bonded design'. And I doubt the coroner could either... Just my $0.02 FWIW.

Cheers,
Kpr
G38 - the PERFECT marriage of the G19 and the Para LTC; Bull Dawg Club #3845
“ The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people… that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -- Thomas Jefferson
G8Kpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 23:31   #9
fredj338

Quote:

THe bulk pack ammo, like UMC & WWB, are made using low bidder components. While they probably always go bang, accuracy, at least for me, has always been marginal. There is merit in using higher quality ammo. You are likely to get one chance to save your life, do you really want to trust it to ammo made in a foreign country w/ minimal quality control, using the cheapest powders & primers & bullets that may or may not perform as intended? Me, only if I have no choice. Right now, you have many. A JHP from any of the majors will work, some slightly better than others, but they will work. You need very little SD ammo, 100rds will last years. Practice w/ the krap & carry the good stuff.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 23:36   #10
N/Apower

Whatever you carry, I think you need a MINIMUM of 250 rounds of it down the tube before you should be carrying it. If you can only afford to do that with WWB, then I would recommend WWB. However, if you can afford to do that with Ranger T/Gold Dot/HST, then I do think you would be better served to do so.

On a side-note, I use ammo from the same lot #. My MO is to buy about 1,000 rounds or so of it, shoot 250, and keep the rest loaded in mags/stashed away in an ammo-box. That way I further remove variables by using ammunition made at the same time on the same machines with the same components.
N/Apower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:14   #11
ricklee4570

I have seen many accuracy tests done where the WWB actually finished in the top 2 or 3.

I have never had an issue with the "generic" ammo. I would like to see some data on defective ammo rates between generic and high end ammo from the same manufacturers. I have a friend who is a police officer and he says that even the high dollar ammo has quality control problems at times.
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:26   #12
N/Apower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
I have seen many accuracy tests done where the WWB actually finished in the top 2 or 3.

I have never had an issue with the "generic" ammo. I would like to see some data on defective ammo rates between generic and high end ammo from the same manufacturers. I have a friend who is a police officer and he says that even the high dollar ammo has quality control problems at times.
I have had to return Hornady XTP's before. I have seen Ranger T and Gold Dot and other rounds that should not be shot as well.

However, this was all production/assembly error (wrinkled/collapsed case-neck, etc.). I have only heard of one occasion, and it was with Ranger T, that a high-end round didn't work. Winchester requested the round back for testing, as well. It failed to go off when the primer was repeatedly, solidly struck by the firing-pin.

Usually, premium components are used in premium ammo (Hornady Critical Defense is an exception, based on the rash of failures and the use of second-rate primers reported on various forums), and it is hand-inspected. This doesn't mean some don't slip by, as I mentioned, but it does mean that you are getting a better product. Nothing is perfect, but to assert that there aren't degrees of imperfection, is incorrect.
N/Apower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:57   #13
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8Kpr View Post
Maybe I just use good equipment to feed it through, or I'm the luckiest MoFo alive, but I've NEVER EVER EVER had WWB 9 or 45 ACP or 45 GAP, FMJ or JHP, not go 'bang' first time or fail to feed/eject. I don't reload anymore so there was a time my entire ammo budget went through Wally World 100 rounds at a time for IDPA, range use, and just banging away at beer cans in the backwoods. No "OOPS. What happened there?". No "#*%@ POS cheap ammo!" Just bangity bang bang bang when I mashed the boom button.
Good post overall.. just wanted to comment on the above, as I totally agree. While I don't think the WWB FMJ is the most accurate ammo in the world, I find the JHP to be a step above the value packs. The only time I recall either failing on me, is while breaking in a picky 1911. After a few hundred rounds though, the 1911 feeds them just fine.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:21   #14
ricklee4570

I emailed Winchester about 2 years ago asking if the primers used in their premium line were different than their USA budget line. I was told that they were the same. The USA brand might include some "discolored" brass or bullets that they wouldnt use in the premium line, but functionally they were just as reliable.
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:54   #15
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8Kpr View Post

As far as the JHP version? Never had to resort to it in 9mm because they all feed Gold Dots and/or DPX perfectly (Glock, Berretta, SiG), but if I got a 1911 that's chokin' and pukin' on GDHP's or HST's it gets Wilson mags first and WWB 230 JHP next. Guess what? They suddenly 'feel much better'. Ever Look at the ogive on the WWB JHP? Damn near hardball with a hole drilled in the end to expose the lead core.

I can't say from experience, but I'm pretty sure mister bump-in-the-night bad guy ain't gonna die laughin' 'cause he happens to recognize the tip of a WWB JHP 4 1/2 inches down that big dark tube in his face . Like someone said earlier: LE used this kind of 'low-tech' JHP for decades, and soldiers used hardball for almost 75 years - and a lot of men died!

A lot - definitely not all, but a lot - of what you see and hear recommended about ammo on forums like this, in gun shops, and at the range is just advertising, packaging, and vanity ("Yeah, well I carry the 'X-cut, bronze-coated, antimony core Destroyminator 230 +P+ Squared' in my (fill in the blank)! And I put 3 rounds down range twice a year to prove functionality [I know, big word], and then clean the gun for 3 hours before I EVER put it back in the holster.) Pffft, whatever you need to get you there, cammo commando.

To be sure, some rounds are more highly engineered, better designed, and (marginally) more effective on certain media and in certain tests than others, and Glocks don't 'choke and puke' on much from what I've seen. But ammo companies gotta get someone to pay for that R&D (for us lucky taxpayers, it's usually done through LE contracts) and I bet Mr. BG can't tell you the difference on the spot between a good solid thoracic hit as the result from lots of practice with WWB JHP or any other 'modern, bonded design'. And I doubt the coroner could either... Just my $0.02 FWIW.

Cheers,
Kpr
What a hoot! I had to swallow hard to keep from spraying coffee all over the monitor! I also agree. In fact, currently I am carrying (Mexican style) my SA Mil-Spec 1911 in .45 ACP which is loaded with WWB .45 230 gr. JHP ammo. At no time has this pistol ever bobbled with this or any other load that I have put through it. It puts the WWB 230 gr. FMJ and JHP into the same spot at 15 yds.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:30   #16
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

OOPs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:37   #17
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

[QUOTE=Brucev;14775418]What a hoot! I had to swallow hard to keep from spraying coffee all over the monitor! I also agree. In fact, currently I am carrying (Mexican style) my SA Mil-Spec 1911 in .45 ACP which is loaded with WWB .45 230 gr. JHP ammo. At no time has this pistol ever bobbled with this or any other load that I have put through it. It puts the WWB 230 gr. FMJ and JHP into the same spot at 15 yds.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely.

I tried to post something and could not. I will try again in a minute...

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:43   #18
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
What a hoot! I had to swallow hard to keep from spraying coffee all over the monitor! I also agree. In fact, currently I am carrying (Mexican style) my SA Mil-Spec 1911 in .45 ACP which is loaded with WWB .45 230 gr. JHP ammo. At no time has this pistol ever bobbled with this or any other load that I have put through it. It puts the WWB 230 gr. FMJ and JHP into the same spot at 15 yds.
Got to like a man who carries his 45acp Mex style. No other way amigo.

To further add to the Post by G8KPR. Although I roll my own for fun and for carry most of the time in other calibers other than 45acp. I do trust my life every day to the WWB or CCI Brass (as it is called), in 45acp FMJ, 'and' even the 9mil tossed in the truck has WWB 147gr JHP's in it. (U out there 481 )

That being said. since I was a little fella I have shot a truck load of this " so called cheap" factory ammo from WW or Rem, in one form or another, whatever they called it athte time, and I have no problem with it. They did not make this stuff to be squib and dud loads. This is a ridiculous way of thinking. They are not sitting at the table saying, "let's make some risky rounds in our WWB or rem umc line, and hope we do not get tens of thousands of law suites". No. And think about all the guys shooting this stuff out of full auto guns, and by the tens of thousands of rounds without a hitch.

But they are at the table always thinking up new and unique ideas for the market, and to make more money. Just like everyone in business does. YES, I know, and agree that "some of the stuff" ammo manufactures have done has been improvements, from nickle brass to flash suppressant powders, and I am mostly unimpressed with so called 'modern bullet design...'

But, I cannot see the big deal in most of it.

A picture is worth a thousand words they say.

Accuracy ? Well I went out back here and did a demo for everyone and shot up a bunch of my cherished WWB stuff .

How is this for accuracy from a G19 using the 'cheap WWB JHP 147gr ' rapid fire in the GREEN target approx: 150rds

45acp 230gr WWB Rapid fire RED target out of a Kimber commander size 1911. 20rds

Edit to correct typo... That was "20 rds" in the 45acp not 50. But it does the same with 50/100/150.

Have fun boys !

CanyonMan

Last edited by CanyonMan; 05-10-2010 at 08:20..
Old 02-17-2010, 11:28   #19
thegriz18
Paper Killer

I'd like to see more ammo testing using the Rem .40 UMC JHP. I did one a long time ago and can't remember the results I found. I do remember it was satisfactory though.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:20   #20
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegriz18 View Post
I'd like to see more ammo testing using the Rem .40 UMC JHP. I did one a long time ago and can't remember the results I found. I do remember it was satisfactory though.

OK, I'll give ya an accuracy shoot again out back here. G23 180gr Rem UMC rapid fire empty one mag full.

Man I got to stop havin fun and get goin today on some other things.

Good shooting

CanyonMan

Last edited by CanyonMan; 02-25-2010 at 15:48..