Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:57   #1
Mr V

Need Canon digital camera purchase help

Wife is looking at getting a Canon camera and has it down to 2 models.
A2000IS
A1100IS

The A1100IS seems to be the one you can find much easier. Most local stores have it. For some reason the A2000IS is the one nobody stocks.

Is it a lemon? Or just something most people don't want?
I am leaning more toward the A2000IS (mostly due to the focal lenght).
Primarly the camers would be used mostly as a general around (friends, fanmily, general usage) camera.
She also wants to use it to take bird phots. The birds come into the yard so there wouldn't be a really long shots.

General comment (reviews) seem to complain about bright light making it hard to see thru LCD screen. Also no viewfinder on A2000IS.. problem or no problem?

Wife got a Canon for her sister and we had several questions that this forum about it before we purchased it. Just want to thank everybody.. Sister LOVES the camera.
Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:42   #2
MrsKitty

Ask these guys: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...splay.php?f=15
Old 11-02-2009, 11:34   #3
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_229154_-1

the SX120IS is a better all around camera. Great all around camera that has a better-for-birdies zoom and and since I have the same camera (but last years version) I can honestly tell you that the digital zoom works well at the lowest setting, making it a 20x zoom. I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality pic available with the digital zoom.

I have photographed thousands of birds with an SLR camera using 400mm (8x) and 500mm (10x) zoom and prime lenses and no matter how long your lens is, it ain't long enough! I set up a hummingbird flower garden a few years ago and was able to stay within 30 feet of the feeding birds using a 500mm lens and still could not fill the frame completely.

Using the little Canon camera on a tripod I can zoom to 20x and fill the frame with tiny birds. (20x is hard to hold steady, even with IS engaged a tripod helps tremendously)
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 14:30   #4
Glkster19

I bought my mom the A2000 and while I haven't played with it, she does seem to really like it. It was easily found at Adorama.

Along the lines of the previous poster I have the version from 2 yrs ago of the model he is talking about. I have the SX100IS and absolutely love it. While it is not the quality of my XSI and 17-55IS, it does take very nice pictures with adequate zooming abilities, 10x optical.

I don't think you'd regret either model. Now, take a look at Best Buy's ad from this week and see that the SX120IS is on sale for the same price as the A2000 and let that make up your mind. The SX120 was listed at $199 I believe. The A2000 is around $179 if me ory serves me correct.
Glkster19 is offline   Reply With Quote