Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:36   #1
glockbanger

What are the plus sides of the M&P vs glock and XD

What are the plus sides of M&P vs glock and XD? What are the cons too. Thanks!
glockbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:15   #2
RH45

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockbanger View Post
#1 plus--made in the USA

#2 plus--S&W supports the shooting sports (donates prizes for prize tables)
RH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:29   #3
GRR

Plus side? Absoulutly none for me. Same for the XD

Con? Grip angle, sigma trigger, complexity of internals, higher bore axis, availability of parts, harder to work on, and so on. Same for the XD.
GRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 23:26   #4
hakuin

Send a message via AIM to hakuin
My comparison was between the G27/33 vs M&P 9c model for concealed carry.

I prefer the ergonomics of the M&P over my micro Glock. I happen to think the slightly larger size of the 9c is not a disadvantage.

Just what feels right to me... (so much so, that I purchased a 357c to replace the Glock).
hakuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:24   #5
RH45

I have a 19, 34, and a 35, all of which have had the triggers modified. Over the years, I've used them all in IDPA, and USPSA matches, and they have run 100%.

Over a year ago, I ended up with a full-size, .40 M&P. I didn't like the trigger pull, so I did a little work on it per Dan Burwell's website, and took it out to my local range with some "minor" loads. Although I was really impressed that it would run my "gamer" loads right out of the box, I wasn't real happy with the accuracy.

I picked up a holster for it, and FINALLY decided to take it to the range and run some drills with it, against my Glock 35. I was shocked to find out that the timer was showing me I was faster with the M&P every drill I shot, And I was more accurate!

I couldn't believe that I could shoot better with the M&P, compared to my old Glocks so I went to a local IDPA match last week, and won the match!

I'm not saying that either pistol is BETTER than the other. Selecting and shooting a pistol should always be what feels the best, and shoots the best for YOU!
Old 01-11-2009, 09:34   #6
MSgt Dotson

The M&P feels very nice in the hand, more rounded, ergonomic...with interchangeable backstraps, it can be made to fit a variety of hand sizes.

The GLock fits well, but, the M&P just 'feels better'....
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:37   #7
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRR View Post

Con? Grip angle, sigma trigger, complexity of internals, higher bore axis, availability of parts, harder to work on, and so on. Same for the XD.
Have you ever actually seen an M&P?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:52   #8
GRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
Have you ever actually seen an M&P?
Wouldn't have made the comment otherwise. Will say that the last one I shot (owned by the local S&W rep) had been worked on and had a nicer trigger than normal. He had sent it off to a 3rd party smith. Still not as nice as a Joe D trigger job on a Glock.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:34   #9
FiremanMike
Way too busy

How can you say it's harder to work on and more complicated than a glock, they have essentially the same internals with their own brand flavor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 18:07   #10
GRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
How can you say it's harder to work on and more complicated than a glock, they have essentially the same internals with their own brand flavor?

Well, the Glock has a trigger bar, trigger mechanism housing, connector and trigger spring. The S&W has a trigger bar, sear housing block (consisting of a seperate ejector, sear spring, sear spring plunger, and sear). To noticably improve the trigger on a Glock, you replace the connector and do a $.25 polish job taking about 10 minutes. To improve the trigger on a S&W you take the sear housing block apart, lock the sear in a vice and file, stone, and polish, test fit, repeat. Sounds more complicated to me. Also, to remove the firing pin safety on the Glock you remove the slide back plate, remove the firing pin and extractor depressor plunger assembly and the extractor and the firing pin safety falls out. To remove the firing pin safety (firing pin block) from a S&W you have to remove the rear sight!

More complex and harder to work on. And its put together with (shudder) roll pins.
Old 01-12-2009, 18:46   #11
RH45

Quote:
Well, the Glock has a trigger bar, trigger mechanism housing, connector and trigger spring. The S&W has a trigger bar, sear housing block (consisting of a seperate ejector, sear spring, sear spring plunger, and sear). To noticably improve the trigger on a Glock, you replace the connector and do a $.25 polish job taking about 10 minutes. To improve the trigger on a S&W you take the sear housing block apart, lock the sear in a vice and file, stone, and polish, test fit, repeat. Sounds more complicated to me. Also, to remove the firing pin safety on the Glock you remove the slide back plate, remove the firing pin and extractor depressor plunger assembly and the extractor and the firing pin safety falls out. To remove the firing pin safety (firing pin block) from a S&W you have to remove the rear sight!

More complex and harder to work on. And its put together with (shudder) roll pins.
Yes, I would have to agree that having to remove the rear sight is stupid.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:17   #12
writwing

Quote:

This is what consistantly brings me back to Glock.
Old 01-30-2009, 17:09   #13
walkin' trails

I've been a hardcore Glock guy since 1987 when I bought my 17 and still have it. I still carry and shoot my Glocks, and love them. That said, I had the chance to fire a full sized M&P 40 a while back and liked it. I even thought that my follow up shots were faster than with a Glock. I didn't notice any major differences in trigger press or reset, even though the guy who let me shoot it complained that he could not feel the reset. I am seriously thinking that I have to add the M&P45 mid frame to my collection. I grew up with S&W revolvers and always wanted S&W to have a successful line of autoloaders. I did not care for any duty-type auto loader they produced (even the legendary 645 which developed a reputation for working reliably and consistently). I'm very glad S&W has a hit on their hands. I won't be getting rid of my Glocks, but unless S&W's quality control goes down the toilet again, or they sign another pact with the anti-gun lords of the sewers, I will give them support again.

That said, the only down side to the new Smiths is that the magazines are something like $41 a piece.
Firearms Instructor
walkin' trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 17:51   #14
RH45

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkin' trails View Post
I've been a hardcore Glock guy since 1987 when I bought my 17 and still have it. I still carry and shoot my Glocks, and love them. That said, I had the chance to fire a full sized M&P 40 a while back and liked it. I even thought that my follow up shots were faster than with a Glock. I didn't notice any major differences in trigger press or reset, even though the guy who let me shoot it complained that he could not feel the reset. I am seriously thinking that I have to add the M&P45 mid frame to my collection. I grew up with S&W revolvers and always wanted S&W to have a successful line of autoloaders. I did not care for any duty-type auto loader they produced (even the legendary 645 which developed a reputation for working reliably and consistently). I'm very glad S&W has a hit on their hands. I won't be getting rid of my Glocks, but unless S&W's quality control goes down the toilet again, or they sign another pact with the anti-gun lords of the sewers, I will give them support again.

That said, the only down side to the new Smiths is that the magazines are something like $41 a piece.
Anybody that pays even close to that for mags, isn't looking around too hard!
Old 01-30-2009, 22:00   #15
walkin' trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH45 View Post
Anybody that pays even close to that for mags, isn't looking around too hard!
I haven't really started looking that hard as of yet. The prices I've been quoted come from a shop in my area that just started distributing the line, and from the S&W website. What are you seeing them priced at, and where?
Firearms Instructor
walkin' trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:37   #16
TexasPOff
"Dump The Hump"

I was actually considering purchasing an M&P 40 to use a duty pistol. The M&P fits my hand a bit better than my G23. Ergos in general are good on the M&P. The reason im not switching right now is simply the M&P doesn't have the track record of reliablity the Glock has. Yes Im sure the Glock had growing pains as well during it's introduction. If would have been an officer then, I wouldn't have carryied a Glock during that time either. I carry this on and off duty, and do not want to chance any reliablity issue. When M&P has had several years under its belt and continuesto be a reliable and durable pistol, then I would have no problems carrying one. The M&P is an excellent pistol with a very bright future. I think most of the issues with it have been resolved from what I have read. In a few years who knows. Then again in that few years Glock might come out with a true user friendly frame redesign.
Certified M&P LE Armorer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
"DUMP THE HUMP"
TexasPOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:48   #17
hakuin

Send a message via AIM to hakuin
I was issued my first service Glock in 1988 (when they didn't have a long track-record) and it worked out fine. I'm on my third variant of the Glock as a work-gun now. I carry an M&P compact 9mm (until I can qualify with my 357c, that is) for off-duty, and feel very confident in it's design and function.
My advice would be to get the M&P you feel best-addresses your needs and shoot the Dickens out of it. Should give you that all-important first-hand experience with that particular pistol. As a group, I find the improvements made by Smith in the M&P's only enhance my confidence. Don't wait too long for "common acceptance", or you'll regret doing without in the interim (my experience in past scenarios, anyway).
hakuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 13:34   #18
jhayesvw

anyone else want to chime in?

im selling my G19 to get a full size gun for IDPA and USPSA stuff.

my G19 has served me well, but i want a full size now.
i cant decide between a G17 or a M&P9.

i like that the G17 is a glock and im pretty used to them. theyre also easy to modify and work on.
i dont like that the glock "shouldnt" be shot with lead reloads.

the M&P is the same capacity, same weight (about) and is very reliable too
it shoots lead with the stock barrel also.
however, i dont like that its more complex to get the trigger weight down and i cant get extended slide and mag releases on it that keep me in SSP (stock service pistol class).

what do you guys think?
also, hows the recoil compare. im going to borrow my friends 17 and another friend m&P9 to compare this weekend at the USPSA match and i will post up what i think.
Old 01-16-2010, 21:49   #19
GT40

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockbanger View Post
If the M&P had come into the market at the same time as the Glock, and both companies used the same marketing programs, by now, the question would be, Glock who?

As for the XD, it's dead last in this race as it brings nothing to the table to compete with the M&P.

GLOCK ARMORER SINCE 1995 - GSSF MEMBER
SUB CLUB #1469/G1 NINERS CLUB #1469/NRA MEMBER
GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 13:57   #20
Linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesvw View Post
anyone else want to chime in?

im selling my G19 to get a full size gun for IDPA and USPSA stuff.

my G19 has served me well, but i want a full size now.
i cant decide between a G17 or a M&P9.

i like that the G17 is a glock and im pretty used to them. theyre also easy to modify and work on.
i dont like that the glock "shouldnt" be shot with lead reloads.

the M&P is the same capacity, same weight (about) and is very reliable too
it shoots lead with the stock barrel also.
however, i dont like that its more complex to get the trigger weight down and i cant get extended slide and mag releases on it that keep me in SSP (stock service pistol class).

what do you guys think?
also, hows the recoil compare. im going to borrow my friends 17 and another friend m&P9 to compare this weekend at the USPSA match and i will post up what i think.
I shoot SSP or Production, depending on IDPA or USPSA.
I started with a M&P 9MM Full size and now have a M&P 9 Pro. I really like the M&P with the small grip.
The Pro..... Awesome, just awesome. The 5" barrel helps and I find I like the stock green fiber front sight with a plan black rear.
The trigger is very smooth and light and I like the "click" and feel when it resets. Sure you can get trigger jobs on Glocks but then they are not SSP.

I don't know about XD's, I never shot one. I can't hit the floor with a Glock, the ergos are just wrong FOR ME. No flame wars here please.

My Smiths have never let me down through a couple of years of USPSA, IDPA, DSM and more. Just today, after a perfect score on a IDPA stage the RO said "I don't know what you paid for that new Smith, but it was worth it". And it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote