GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 23:58   #1
glockjack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 17
Concealed Carry Shotgun?

Saturday, I attended the 8hr class for my CCW and passed! I cant wait for DPS to send me my card now.

This has got me thinking... Winter is upon us; thick, heavy and long clothing....You could conceal a cruiser fairly easily.

Im not saying I am, but if I can find the best rig to get that puppy to hang under my armpit, it would be an interesting day.

Any thoughts or ideas of how to carry something like this?
glockjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:40   #2
B.Reid
Senior Member
 
B.Reid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,285
You can get the barrel cut down for a $5.00 tax stamp as long as you don't put a stock on it!
__________________
Embrace the apocalypse!

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:06   #3
smoke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
You can get the barrel cut down for a $5.00 tax stamp as long as you don't put a stock on it!
I think you are wrong about this. In order for the shotgun to qualify as an AOW, it has to be maufactured that way from the factory or other Title 2 manufacturer. It is not as easy as buying a Cruiser and having the barrel cut and never putting a stock on it.

As always, if I'm wrong please correct me!!!
smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:07   #4
BigNic
Senior Member
 
BigNic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockjack View Post
but if I can find the best rig to get that puppy to hang under my armpit, it would be an interesting day.

Any thoughts or ideas of how to carry something like this?
Consider this an interesting day!

Firepower Rig:
Tactical Shotguns

Andrews Leather
http://www.andrewsleather.com/
BigNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:25   #5
Harley Rider 55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 424
I legally concealed carried shotguns and carbines long before Texas ever issued CHL's.
Harley Rider 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:46   #6
B.Reid
Senior Member
 
B.Reid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Rider 55 View Post
I legally concealed carried shotguns and carbines long before Texas ever issued CHL's.
HOW!
__________________
Embrace the apocalypse!

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:48   #7
G23c
Senior Member
 
G23c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: houston, texas
Posts: 4,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNic View Post
Consider this an interesting day!

Firepower Rig:
Tactical Shotguns

Andrews Leather
http://www.andrewsleather.com/
that is a serious SD setup.
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 13:30   #8
glockjack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNic View Post
Consider this an interesting day!

Firepower Rig:
Tactical Shotguns

Andrews Leather
[URL]http://www.andrewsleather.com/[/URL]
THATS EXACTLY what I'm looking for...but the price tag..ouch! Great pic tho!
glockjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 19:27   #9
space_weazel
Senior Member
 
space_weazel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Or-e-Gone?
Posts: 1,459
The $5 tax would be applicable if the shotgun was a factory pistol grip gun, and then I was sent to a Title II manufacturer and they did the work, however the wait is basically the same so spend the $195 extra and get the option to put a stock on it if you wanted.

This is the way I have read it for a while and seems to be accepted by most.
__________________
A Ninja Pays Half Of My Rent Who Pays Yours?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Black Rifle Club #111
space_weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 19:34   #10
14GDHPs4ME
Nevada Glocker
 
14GDHPs4ME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Reno
Posts: 538
I was unaware that a person could legally CC a shotgun. Really?
__________________
........................................................................
I like my coffee like I like my guns.....black and nasty!
--Tactical Shotgun Club Member #6131--
--.40 S&W Club Member #6131----------
14GDHPs4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 19:44   #11
smoke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 3,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by space_weazel View Post
The $5 tax would be applicable if the shotgun was a factory pistol grip gun, and then I was sent to a Title II manufacturer and they did the work, however the wait is basically the same so spend the $195 extra and get the option to put a stock on it if you wanted.

This is the way I have read it for a while and seems to be accepted by most.
That's my point. A Title 2 guy is going to charge you out the yeng-yang to cut the barrel to obtain a $5 stamp (if it would apply to a Cruizer to begin with????). Or you can pay about the same amount ($200), do the cutting yourself, and maintain all options.
smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 20:32   #12
amblackm
Senior Member
 
amblackm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 292
The $5 tax stamp has nothing to do with who cuts the barrel, etc. It is for creating a Any Other Weapon (AOW), which is a short barreled pistol with a forward pistol grip (like a HK MP5) or a shotgun with a short barrel and no stock. If you want to create a Short Barrel Shotgun (SBS), which is defined as a shotgun with a stock and a barrel length less than 18 inches, then the tax stamp costs $200.

Don't try to figure out the gun laws in this country. The more you learn, the more you learn they were written for political reasons and don't make much since at all...

Andrew
amblackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 21:51   #13
Deputy206
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNic View Post
Consider this an interesting day!

Firepower Rig:
Tactical Shotguns

Andrews Leather
http://www.andrewsleather.com/
Now this awesome.
Deputy206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 22:18   #14
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member
 
Texas357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CCTX
Posts: 10,042
What state is this? check local laws.

Shotgun not the most convenient gun to carry daily.
__________________
"The more ignorant the individual, the more credulous he becomes, and the more prone to believe in the fearful and satanic nature of the many things that pass his comprehension." - Charles W. Olliver


"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 23:19   #15
DaGroaner
Anti-Socialist
 
DaGroaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Firmly planted under Statist skin
Posts: 30,999


Quote:
Originally Posted by 14GDHPs4ME View Post
I was unaware that a person could legally CC a shotgun. Really?
Not in my state(WA). Handguns only. That's why I bought an AK pistol.
DaGroaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 20:03   #16
DSM1290
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Perry
Posts: 34
Send a message via AIM to DSM1290 Send a message via Yahoo to DSM1290
In Ohio it has to be a gun that was manufactured to be shot with one hand.
DSM1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 21:42   #17
vafish
Senior Member
 
vafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia
Posts: 24,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblackm View Post
The $5 tax stamp has nothing to do with who cuts the barrel, etc. It is for creating a Any Other Weapon (AOW), which is a short barreled pistol with a forward pistol grip (like a HK MP5) or a shotgun with a short barrel and no stock. If you want to create a Short Barrel Shotgun (SBS), which is defined as a shotgun with a stock and a barrel length less than 18 inches, then the tax stamp costs $200.

Don't try to figure out the gun laws in this country. The more you learn, the more you learn they were written for political reasons and don't make much since at all...

Andrew
The tax to create an AOW is still $200. Or it has to be built by a manufacturer with a SOT (IIRC about $3,000 per year).

The tax to transfer one that is already built is $5.
__________________
"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years,
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 23:59   #18
Noblinger
Senior Member
 
Noblinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: HHI SC
Posts: 208
................

Last edited by Noblinger; 12-24-2009 at 16:57..
Noblinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:16   #19
space_weazel
Senior Member
 
space_weazel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Or-e-Gone?
Posts: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
The tax to create an AOW is still $200. Or it has to be built by a manufacturer with a SOT (IIRC about $3,000 per year).

The tax to transfer one that is already built is $5.
I concur with this, but can I assume that a AOW that a SOT builds has to come from somewhere, so can you send a pistol grip gun you purchased as a pistol grip be sent to the SOT and they build it and then transfer it? Or do the SOT's have to get virgin receivers from the original manufacturer?
__________________
A Ninja Pays Half Of My Rent Who Pays Yours?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Black Rifle Club #111
space_weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:39   #20
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach
 
Bullman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 25,743


The way I understand it, since the cruiser is sold from the manufacturer with a pistol grip on it, it can be converted for 5 bucks since it was originally made without a stock. Any shotgun originally made and sold with a shoulder stock on it, has to have the 200 buck tax stamp if it was converted to a SBS.

Of course, I could be wrong, usually am but that is how I understand it.
__________________
Yeah, I'm a champion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 15:38.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,107
340 Members
767 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31