GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-19-2009, 15:25   #1
bac1023

Pistol Dynamics Signature in Guns & Ammo - pic :)

I got an email from Pistol Dynamics recently with a pic of my gun.

Anyway, judging from the serial number, its the first Signature model that Paul Liebenberg has built on the new in house built frame. Previously, all the Signatures were built on Caspian frames or customer supplied base guns. When I ordered this in 2007, the frames were just introduced. Anyway, its cool, because I've never had the first of any gun.

Paul and his wife, Marie, are very good people to deal with and have kindly answered any of my questions throughout this project.

Anyway, here is the email sent to me...

Dear Brian,
Please find attached a photo of your pistol. Paul still needs to do a final test fire but wanted to photograph this pistol prior to 'getting it dirty'. We would like your permission to use this photo in an upcoming Guns & Ammo magazine article. Please let us know if we have your permission to do this. The pistol will be tested and regulated at our next range session and will be shipped out to you after that.
Thank you for your consideration.
Best regards,
Marie Liebenberg
Superformance/Pistol Dynamics

I remember seeing an article or two about them in years past, but it looks like there will be another in the near future. Can't wait.

I'm not sure when the next testing session will be, but I'm eagerly awaiting this new 1911. It will be my first since early spring and certainly a very fine addition to my 1911 collection.

Here is the photo they sent me...

1911 Forums

I just love this custom built stuff. The Browning cuts and ball cuts work well together, as they do on the Hi-Power. The magwell is nicely done. Many of the parts are built in house, including the beavertail and barrel bushing. The beavertail is totally unique in its appearance. The barrel bushing actually locks the gold bead front sight in place, which is a Liebenberg innovation. You can see how it slants inwards at the top. The sight, rather than a typical dovetail, locks in from the front.

It can't really be seen in this pic, but the top and rear of the slide are serrated. I like that look quite a bit. I also went with the checkered trigger guard for something different.

I'll get some nice exotic wood grips for it in the future, but I wanted to pick them out myself. These are the standard Pistol Dynamics black micarta grips. Nothing fancy, but clean looking.

The other side should simply have the Pistol Dynamics logo on it. The only thing I'd probably do differently now as opposed to two years ago is go with a short solid trigger instead of the three hole. I'm starting to like solid triggers more and more. That will have to wait for my next custom from Gemini, as I'm not going to change anything that comes out of Pistol Dynamics.

Also, before anyone mentions it, Paul Liebenberg is basically the father of the external extractor on a 1911. He perfected it when starting up the Performance Center at Smith & Wesson years ago. Because this is a Signature from him, I wanted it with the EE, as nearly all of his scratch built pistols have it. He told me he gets perfect case extraction using the EE, whereas every case lands in the same spot. That sounded cool to me and I never had an issue with external extractors on 1911s. I have several with them.

More pics as soon as I have it (on carpet this time).

Now that a pic has been dangled in front of me, I want this gun that much more.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 15:31   #2
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Sweet!

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 15:42   #3
mdfd

Beautiful! and a magazine gun at that - congrats!
mdfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 15:45   #4
Quack
Rent this space

lies, all lies. when you get it i want a photo with the PD, a toothbrush and a nickel(tail side up) to show us that it's really your's

looks great :D
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 15:54   #5
Narc1911
Anchora Salutis

Looks great, congrats
Narc1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 15:56   #6
gconan

Number 1! WOW! That is totally awesome bac! Congratulations on such an outstanding weapon! Man, I guess these long waits are really worth it! I wish to God I had gone that way.
Thanks for sharing!
Big Dawg#672
NRA
Niners#52
Bladerunner#14
gconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 15:57   #7
willis68

Bac,

That one is definitely worth the wait, Congrats
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC
willis68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 16:09   #8
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Anyone know a good carpet cleaning co in Miami? I just had an accident!

Seriously, it looks very nice Bac! Does it come in a cardboard box?
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 16:20   #9
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Curious Bac, how do you feel about the external extractor? I always pictured you as a 1911 purist, what with your dislike of other things (like all the crap para does to theirs).
ilgunguygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 16:25   #10
glock2619
Work in Progres

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
1911 Forums

...snip... The Browning cuts and ball cuts work well together, ...snip...
That is an understatement! Exquisite craftsmanship for sure.

I also remember reading an article about PD. American Handgunner? Not sure now. Regardless, I thought I remembered those Hi-Power type cuts being somewhat a signature for the PD guns. Correct?

Incredible piece.
glock2619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 18:24   #11
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
Curious Bac, how do you feel about the external extractor? I always pictured you as a 1911 purist, what with your dislike of other things (like all the crap para does to theirs).
They don't bother me. They aren't something I would specifically ask for, but they don't bother me.

In this case, its Liebenberg's trademark, so it just didn't seem right to ask him to do something else. Plus, he told me he gets the absolute best performance from the external extractor.

Funny, certain things bother me, while others don't. Double action, double stacks, and rails, I don't do.

Bull barrels, ambi safeties, full length guide rods(one or two piece), and external extractors don't phase me. I actually prefer a couple of them.
Old 11-19-2009, 18:38   #12
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

Congrats brother that pistol is simply STUNNING!

Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 18:41   #13
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2619 View Post
That is an understatement! Exquisite craftsmanship for sure.
Thanks man.

Quote:
I also remember reading an article about PD. American Handgunner? Not sure now.
Yes, it was called "Dynamic Duo" from a few years back.

1911 Forums

Here's the article, a good read.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

Without rereading the article, I believe the guns were the Combat Special and XO. I don't believe the Signature was available then. It was also written before he built the guns completely from scratch on in house frames.

This new article should be great. I can't wait to read it.

Quote:
Regardless, I thought I remembered those Hi-Power type cuts being somewhat a signature for the PD guns. Correct?
Yes at first, but now a few custom builders do it. The Gemini I order next will also have the Browning cut.

Quote:
Incredible piece.
Thanks again
Old 11-19-2009, 19:10   #14
ronin.45

a beauty BAC

I was very close to getting the bobtail I showed you in a magazine but they decided to go with a different gun(Combat Handguns June 2009). You are a lucky man.

Last edited by ronin.45; 11-19-2009 at 19:17..
ronin.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 19:18   #15
Bozz

WOW! That is incredible. Can't wait to see the article on it. Now, I think the EE is kinda cool, I was a little disappointed with my SIG GSR SS when I got it from Buds... but now I don't feel so bad.

Great pistol, sure makes a nice addition to your (drool) collection.
Old 11-19-2009, 19:24   #16
Ruggles

WOW! If you run out of ammo you can beat the bad guy to death with it, that is one solid looking piece of steel! Very nice! And you get to have a gun that graced the cover of G&A? Outstanding.

Just remember that deal you and I have about your will.......

BTW my S&W 1911 with the external extractor has been great so I have no issues with EEs.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 19:50   #17
Rinspeed
JAFO

I don't know what to say but that's purty.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 19:53   #18
Officer's Match
S.R.D. v

Congrats dude. You most be stoked!
btw, S.R.D. = Strategic Response Dog
Officer's Match is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 20:48   #19
Zagato

you know, im really surprised a gun rag hasnt seen your collection of 1911s. definitely worthy of AT LEAST 1 article, probably a series. the PD looks extremely nice. cant wait to hear how it shoots.

what is the purpose of the circular cut near the thumb safety? is it in order to recess it?
Zagato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 20:54   #20
pleaforwar

Looks great Bac!

pleaforwar is offline   Reply With Quote